Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving and parking in the city centre

Options
  • 29-11-2016 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭

I'm going to Galway on Saturday morning and trying to decide between the bus and driving in. The bus will have a stupidly early start which I'm not looking forward to, especially with a 4 year old, but will do it if it makes more sense. I'll be arriving at around 9-9.30 and leaving at around 2. Will the traffic be a nightmare at either time, especially considering I don't know Galway well, I'm a new driver and would be relying on sat nav to get around. And if I do drive where is the best place to park?

Comments

Driving in should be no problem on a Saturday morning (bit heavier with Christmas shopping but still should be ok at that time), if its somewhere in the city centre then the Dyke road car park is probably one of your best bets for parking. Will be loads of spaces at that time on a saturday morning and only a 5er for the day. Traffic will be busy enough at 2pm though mightn't be awful heading out the way and depending on which direction you are heading it shouldn't be too bad getting out of the city from the dyke road car park.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

iguana wrote: »
    I'm going to Galway on Saturday morning and trying to decide between the bus and driving in. The bus will have a stupidly early start which I'm not looking forward to, especially with a 4 year old, but will do it if it makes more sense. I'll be arriving at around 9-9.30 and leaving at around 2. Will the traffic be a nightmare at either time, especially considering I don't know Galway well, I'm a new driver and would be relying on sat nav to get around. And if I do drive where is the best place to park?

Not sure which side you are coming from but the Park and ride is starting on Saturday so that could be an option to save you driving and parking in the city centre

http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/88965/park-ride-from-this-saturday-for-3-per-car

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

A lot of people don't seem to know this but parking in the pay and display spaces in NUIG is free at weekends. There's a few around the Quad, The Orbson building and down fisheries field beside the cathederal. Just make sure you park in a pay and display space. They are marked with blue lines. If you park somewhere else you might get clamped but I've never heard of anyone getting clamped at weekends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

b.gud wrote: »
    Not sure which side you are coming from but the Park and ride is starting on Saturday so that could be an option to save you driving and parking in the city centre

http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/88965/park-ride-from-this-saturday-for-3-per-car

Was just going to post this too - you'll get the best of both worlds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Whatever you do, don't use the M&S/Debenhams multi-storey (it is a nightmare to get out again when it's busy) or the one besides Jury's Inn (very narrow and cramped).
    The Cathedral Car park is another option if you are in early, they also charge a very reasonable daily fee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

If you are driving in from another county with a child the easiest way in my opinion is to park in one of the multistorey car parks in the city.
    Try Corbert Court parking, it's 8 euro for 8 hours but is next to Eyre Square so dead centre of town.
    https://www.q-park.ie/parking-with-q-park/our-parking-facilities/parkingid/2169

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

MadYaker wrote: »
    A lot of people don't seem to know this but parking in the pay and display spaces in NUIG is free at weekends. There's a few around the Quad, The Orbson building and down fisheries field beside the cathederal. Just make sure you park in a pay and display space. They are marked with blue lines. If you park somewhere else you might get clamped but I've never heard of anyone getting clamped at weekends.

There are no P&D spaces in Fisheries Field AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

There is one down towards the hydrology building. Past what used to be the bicycle shop

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Town was mad last Saturday, this week will only be worse.

Unless you have some specific needs for the car, takes the bus. Or at least use the park and ride.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Town was mad last Saturday, this week will only be worse.

Not necessarily - the bridge was closed last Saturday due to an accident. It takes the city traffic hours to loosen out after that.

• Advertisement

If you are shopping I would consider where you are going to be visiting.

Dyke Road car park is adjacent to Smiths, Elverys, across from Galway shopping center and argos a a short walk into town.

If you are not shopping the park and ride might be convenient and the business will drop you into the centre.

Don't park in Debenhams as you might struggle to get out. Jurys is quite narrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Thanks. I've rejigged a few things and will come in later by bus. We're going to Elf Town and for a wander around the Christmas market, so the bus makes sense. (And means I can enjoy a mulled wine.) But it's all good to know for future trips.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭SalthillGuy

The Dyke Road car park is always a good option - just off Headford Road. Easy to find. There should be no problem early in the morning. Will fill up later. Good daily rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,898 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

How active are the traffic wardens these days? I need to park at the back of a house in Riverside to do some work & there are no pay & display bays close or they will be full.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Discodog wrote: »
    How active are the traffic wardens these days? I need to park at the back of a house in Riverside to do some work & there are no pay & display bays close or they will be full.

I can't think of any pay and display at all in Riverside?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

?Cee?view wrote: »
    I can't think of any pay and display at all in Riverside?
    I think he meant Waterside or Seaside or Lakeside

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

snubbleste wrote: »
    I think he meant Waterside or Seaside or Lakeside

Sorry. You're dead right I'd say. Must be Waterside.

That being the case, the wardens are very active around there as parking can be chaotic with the Courthouse, school and Town Hall.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Yeah they're always around Waterside.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Chance it, what's the worst that could happen.....

Advertisement