Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpaid Parking Fines Cavan Town

Options
  • 29-11-2016 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

I was parked outside of work on town hall street (where Ive been working for 4 years) and never knew that you couldn't pay to park your car for more than two hours on the street!
    What happened me was I parked my car outside work that morning - put a ticket on it at 9.39 for 1 euro until 11.18.  I actually left before the ticket was up at about 11am and came back and parked again from 11.36 - paying another euro with the ticket valid until 1.15pm . Left work again at 1pm and there was a ticket on my car left at 12.28 for 'parking a vehicle for a time prohibited'. So basically I got fined for coming back to the same street within an hour after parking there earlier for 2 hours! 
    Never knew that you would have to wait an hour before returning to the same street to park your car again! 
    I understand yes that if you are going to be parking your car for a longer period of time than one or 2 hours then yeah park in a long term car park! But for me that day - I just parked outside office so that I could come and go throughout the day as I was checking in and out of sick relative at home! So I really wasnt parked there for a full 2 hours that day becasue I came and left sporadically within the tickets I had put on! So confusing! 
    Anyway - I explained all this to county council in an email and I got no where with them  - very rude and abrupt and basically said no the fine is still in place - pay it. So a county councilor who I talked to about this issued an appeal for me with them and they denied it. The fine now has been raised to 60 euro because I didn't pay the initial 40 euro fine within a 30 day period or something. Now they are threatening me with court!
    Just wondering has anyone heard of anyone being summonsed to court in an instance like this before?
    Too stubborn to pay the fine. I would have no problem paying it if I didnt have a ticket on my car or if I  was fined for over lapsing time on the ticket - my own negligence-  but this wasn't the case here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Pay the fine and get over it.
    Your not going to beat the system and it'll just keep increasing in cost and maybe need a solicitor too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

nia121 wrote: »
    I was parked outside of work on town hall street (where Ive been working for 4 years) and never knew that you couldn't pay to park your car for more than two hours on the street!
    What happened me was I parked my car outside work that morning - put a ticket on it at 9.39 for 1 euro until 11.18. I actually left before the ticket was up at about 11am and came back and parked again from 11.36 - paying another euro with the ticket valid until 1.15pm . Left work again at 1pm and there was a ticket on my car left at 12.28 for 'parking a vehicle for a time prohibited'. So basically I got fined for coming back to the same street within an hour after parking there earlier for 2 hours!
    Never knew that you would have to wait an hour before returning to the same street to park your car again!
    I understand yes that if you are going to be parking your car for a longer period of time than one or 2 hours then yeah park in a long term car park! But for me that day - I just parked outside office so that I could come and go throughout the day as I was checking in and out of sick relative at home! So I really wasnt parked there for a full 2 hours that day becasue I came and left sporadically within the tickets I had put on! So confusing!
    Anyway - I explained all this to county council in an email and I got no where with them - very rude and abrupt and basically said no the fine is still in place - pay it. So a county councilor who I talked to about this issued an appeal for me with them and they denied it. The fine now has been raised to 60 euro because I didn't pay the initial 40 euro fine within a 30 day period or something. Now they are threatening me with court!
    Just wondering has anyone heard of anyone being summonsed to court in an instance like this before?
    Too stubborn to pay the fine. I would have no problem paying it if I didnt have a ticket on my car or if I was fined for over lapsing time on the ticket - my own negligence- but this wasn't the case here.

So presumably you've gotten away with it previously, probably a good few times over the past 4 years?

How much time will it take you to go to court over it where you have a 50/50 chance of winning?

Might as well pay up.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭nia121

Got away with what? Not paying for parking my car? Nope. I never usually park outside my office - I usually use the multi storey car park as I would be parking up for the day. It would cost me too much time and effort if I was running out onto the street 5 days a week to keep putting tickets on my car every hour or 2 tbh! I don't think I've ever parked my car up and not put a ticket on it. This was one instance where I just needed to have access to my car close by at the drop of a hat! 
    Its not even about the money really. Its about the unfairness of it. A lot of people are not aware of these parking by-laws and are being fined daily and paying up on them and not questioning them.  Had I have known them, I would have definitely tried my best not to get a 40euro fine - while I had already paid 2 euro in parking tickets!!
    I clearly didn't park on the street for a max of two hours that morning - coming and going (needed to have my car outside) and got fined for returning back to the street within an hour! 
    I just created this board to see had anyone a similar experience to me as many others are advising me to not pay as it won't go to court. I suppose I will seek solicitors advice. 60 euro is a lot of money to pay to the county council for f*ck all of a reason!

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭nia121

_Brian wrote: »
    Pay the fine and get over it.
    Your not going to beat the system and it'll just keep increasing in cost and maybe need a solicitor too.
    Cheers, just crappy forking out that amount of money when it seems so unfair. Just wonder has anyone not paid a parking fine before and what were the repercussions. I might just ask a solicitors advice on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Far a short I know it increases a few times and then goes to court for recovery.
    Could be up to a few grand by the time Sherriff's fees for recovery get rolled onto it.

Just pay it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Pay the fine.

There is no point arguing with them. Your logic, regardless of how logical it is, is still wrong as you broke the rules. I've been fined twice, once for just going over the time and allowed grace period and the second for taking up two spots with the van. They have tried to ticket the bike but I just said the ticket blew off it.

They will gladly jut sit there and listen to you moan about it. They don't care. Your on a loosing battle here.

I agree with the unfairness of it but like clampers, they do what they want within their own weird rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Busyness1

nia121 wrote: »
    Got away with what? Not paying for parking my car? Nope. I never usually park outside my office - I usually use the multi storey car park as I would be parking up for the day. It would cost me too much time and effort if I was running out onto the street 5 days a week to keep putting tickets on my car every hour or 2 tbh! I don't think I've ever parked my car up and not put a ticket on it. This was one instance where I just needed to have access to my car close by at the drop of a hat! 
    Its not even about the money really. Its about the unfairness of it. A lot of people are not aware of these parking by-laws and are being fined daily and paying up on them and not questioning them.  Had I have known them, I would have definitely tried my best not to get a 40euro fine - while I had already paid 2 euro in parking tickets!!
    I clearly didn't park on the street for a max of two hours that morning - coming and going (needed to have my car outside) and got fined for returning back to the street within an hour! 
    I just created this board to see had anyone a similar experience to me as many others are advising me to not pay as it won't go to court. I suppose I will seek solicitors advice. 60 euro is a lot of money to pay to the county council for f*ck all of a reason!

It absolutely will go to court should you not pay it. Happens all the time, and will end up with a much heavier financial penalty, potential solicitors fee (should you use one) and oh yeah... A criminal record! Pay the fine!

See the third post in this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055104403
    The guy was convicted in court, criminal record as a consequence. Albeit a minor conviction it is a criminal conviction nonetheless which could have adverse employment and travel impacts for arguing over 40 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

When you got the ticket, why didn't you walk the few steps into the Town Hall and talk to them personal!y?
    An email is impersonal and easier for the traffic wardens to dismiss with the comment "tough sh;t"
    There is a new regime in p!ace lately, with court threatened if non payment . Haven't seen any reports of Cavan Court actually handing out fines etc yet.

Advertisement