Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USB3 hard drives onto a network?

Options
  • 29-11-2016 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,050 ✭✭✭

Folks, hoping you can help me out here.

I'm putting in cable for a network in the house. as part of it, it's going to terminate in a patch panel & switch in a press, where I'll also be placing a old headless mac mini which will work as my iTunes server (USB2 4TB drive attached).

However, I have an additional four USB3 drives which I also need to get on the network - Photos, Documents, crashplan etc.

I was going to attach them all to the mac mini. I know I'm not going to get full USB 3 speed out of them, but is there an alternate way I could go to get them on as network shares?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

USB 2 will give you just shy of 60MB/s (400Mb/s), plenty for home use. Only time you might notice would be doing full system backups.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,050 ✭✭✭OU812

Thanks Ed. Any ideas how I could get them on the network?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

A rasberry Pi can share them if you like, or some routers have a similar feature.

Lots of people use Mac Minis, would let you run any other serviecs you wanted such as the itunes server, Plex, Owncloud, a VPN host etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

Have a look at Network Attached Storage (NAS) solutions. Plenty on Amazon, best being Synology and QNAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Germancarfan

depends on the exisiting drives , you might be able to strip them from their current chassis and then use a NAS case to present them on the network
    Any drive models of what you have already ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

ED E wrote: »
    A rasberry Pi can share them if you like, or some routers have a similar feature.

Lots of people use Mac Minis, would let you run any other serviecs you wanted such as the itunes server, Plex, Owncloud, a VPN host etc.
    RPi is great, but it can't handle that speed - search before you buy!

Advertisement