Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fibre Speed

Options
  • 29-11-2016 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭

I got a notice in my door a couple of weeks ago saying fibre broadband is now available on my street. Unfortunately when I checked my address online it seems 7mbs is the maximum speed I can get.   Wonder is this likely to improve at any stage?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Eir: Pamela

Chieftain wrote: »
    I got a notice in my door a couple of weeks ago saying fibre broadband is now available on my street. Unfortunately when I checked my address online it seems 7mbs is the maximum speed I can get.   Wonder is this likely to improve at any stage?
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Hi [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif] [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]Chieftain,[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif] [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Thanks for getting in touch. [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]When the efibre to the home service is available we should be able to offer you higher speeds.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Thanks,[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Pamela [/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Chieftain

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]Hi [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif] [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]Chieftain,[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]When the efibre to the home service is available we should be able to offer you higher speeds.[/font]

Thanks Pamela, have you any idea when that might be.  I presume there is fibre to the cabinet near my house, but its the line from there to the house is the problem?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,286 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

The line checker said 7mbs for my house too but I ended up getting 60mbs down 20 up when the KN technician came and installed it. What sort of speeds  do your neighbours get? How far are you from the nearest cabinet?

Mickeroo wrote: »
    The line checker said 7mbs for my house too but I ended up getting 60mbs down 20 up when the KN technician came and installed it. What sort of speeds  do your neighbours get? How far are you from the nearest cabinet?
    I don't think i'm too far from the cabinet but  prior to this we couldn't even get landline broadband.  I'm not sure if Eir would bother bringing fibre from the cabinet to the houses would they?  Don't think the cabinet serves many houses

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,286 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I don't think i'm too far from the cabinet but  prior to this we couldn't even get landline broadband.  I'm not sure if Eir would bother bringing fibre from the cabinet to the houses would they?  Don't think the cabinet serves many houses
    Fibre only goes as far as the cabinet, from the cabinet to your house is just a regular phoneline (as is my understanding) so shouldn't need to be changed. Do you have a phone number for your house? Did you try putting in the address for any of the houses around you?

• Advertisement

Fibre only goes as far as the cabinet, from the cabinet to your house is just a regular phoneline (as is my understanding) so shouldn't need to be changed. Do you have a phone number for your house? Did you try putting in the address for any of the houses around you?
    Actually i'm a bit further from the cabinet than I thought. It is a bit away.  I checked a couple of addresses very near me and they are just 7mbs too.

Actually i'm a bit further from the cabinet than I thought. It is a bit away.  I checked a couple of addresses very near me and they are just 7mbs too.
    What sort of distance is it? Less than 1km?

What sort of distance is it? Less than 1km?
    No, looks like more than 1km.  I thought the cabinet was nearer me, but checked the Eir map and it is a bit away.  Its definitely way more than 1km looking at the map

Thanks Pamela, have you any idea when that might be.  I presume there is fibre to the cabinet near my house, but its the line from there to the house is the problem?
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Have you an active eir account [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]Chieftain?[/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif] [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]Feel free to PM me your account number & name & I'll check this. Hopefully I can offer you some clarity.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Pamela[/font]

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]Have you an active eir account [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]Chieftain?[/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif] [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]Feel free to PM me your account number & name & I'll check this. Hopefully I can offer you some clarity.[/font]

Hi Pamela, i'm not an eir customer at present.   Was hoping to sign up for the fibre broadband, but unfortunately if the speed is only 7mbs its not worth it.

• Advertisement

Hi Pamela, i'm not an eir customer at present.   Was hoping to sign up for the fibre broadband, but unfortunately if the speed is only 7mbs its not worth it.
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]I'm sorry to hear this [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]Chieftain,[/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif] [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]feel free to PM me your line number & address & I can take a look into this.[/font]

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]I'm sorry to hear this [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]Chieftain,[/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif] [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]feel free to PM me your line number & address & I can take a look into this.[/font]

Hi, have PM'd my address Pamela. thanks

Hi, have PM'd my address Pamela. thanks
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Thanks [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]Chieftain,[/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif] [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]I'll be back to you shortly. :D [/font]

Advertisement