Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lost data when moving from Nokia Lumia 630 to Nokia Lumia 950XL

• 29-11-2016 4:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭

Just got a Lumia 950XL yesterday. According to Windows Central, I should have been just able to backup old phone (Lumia 630), then on new phone install SIM and SD card from old phone and restore backup and I'd be good to go.

But I find that I've lost my old text message and my call history. Is there any way to retrieve those from old phone at this stage?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

Is the older Lumia 630 running Windows Phone 8.1 ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭leck

theothernt wrote: »
    Is the older Lumia 630 running Windows Phone 8.1 ?
    Yes, it's running Win 8.1 and of course the Lumia 950XL is Windows 10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

On your Lumia 950XL, in the messaging app.
    - Did you sign in?
    - In the settings, did you enable Sync Messages between devices?

If I recall moving from a Lumia 920 to a Lumia 950 I had to switch these on, because they weren't by default.

I'm running an Insider build at the moment so the options may be in different locations on your phone - I found them by clicking the ellipsis (...) on the bottom right of the app.

It would be worth confirming on your old Lumia 630 whether Message backup / Syncing is enabled.

I'm not sure there's much you can do for your call history, though.

It would be worth confirming on your old Lumia 630 whether Message backup / Syncing is enabled.

I think the problem is that WP 8.1 doesn't support message sync, that was introduced in Windows 10 Mobile.

Plus it's not possible to update the Lumia 630 to Windows 10 (Insider build or otherwise) so I don't think there are any other options? :confused:

On your Lumia 950XL, in the messaging app.
    - Did you sign in?
    - In the settings, did you enable Sync Messages between devices?

If I recall moving from a Lumia 920 to a Lumia 950 I had to switch these on, because they weren't by default.

I'm running an Insider build at the moment so the options may be in different locations on your phone - I found them by clicking the ellipsis (...) on the bottom right of the app.

I'm not sure there's much you can do for your call history, though.
    I'm a bit dumb, I didn't even know there was a Messaging app. Opened that on the Nokia 950XL and "sync between device" was already on. But "download messages through" was just set to "the last month". I changed that to "any time." And yes, I was signed in on the app. I signed out and had some issues signing back in. But signed back in now.

Is the syncing usually done through Transfer My Data? I went there, made sure bluetooth was on and connected to old phone (presume it's the right on - shows up as Windows Phone rather than Lumia 630), then Continue, shows previously copied Contacts. Messages not shown as an option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

leck wrote: »
    I'm a bit dumb, I didn't even know there was a Messaging app. Opened that on the Nokia 950XL and "sync between device" was already on. But "download messages through" was just set to "the last month". I changed that to "any time." And yes, I was signed in on the app. I signed out and had some issues signing back in. But signed back in now.

Is the syncing usually done through Transfer My Data? I went there, made sure bluetooth was on and connected to old phone (presume it's the right on - shows up as Windows Phone rather than Lumia 630), then Continue, shows previously copied Contacts. Messages not shown as an option.
    Messages are normally backed up online and restored from there rather than through the Transfer my Data app.

On your Lumia 630, in the Settings for Messaging is that set to back up your messages or s sync them between devices?

An app was released a while go to backup your contacts, SMS messages, etc to your SD card but I'm not sure if there's an app for the Lumia 950 that'll import the data...

http://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-releases-contactsmessage-sd-card-backup

Oh, and did you follow these steps initially? http://www.windowscentral.com/how-migrate-windows-phone-to--lumia-950

theothernt wrote: »
    An app was released a while go to backup your contacts, SMS messages, etc to your SD card but I'm not sure if there's an app for the Lumia 950 that'll import the data...

http://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-releases-contactsmessage-sd-card-backup

Oh, and did you follow these steps initially? http://www.windowscentral.com/how-migrate-windows-phone-to--lumia-950
    Will look at that app later, but the first comment doesn't inspire confidence "This app does not work with Windows Lumia 950. It crashes after only 30 of 500+ contacts."

And yes, I did follow those steps on WindowsCentral in the beginning.

Advertisement