Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Current Account App bunq.com (Netherlands)

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

I got a free one via a promotion.

Good
    Coded as a credit card
    Loads of load options from bank transfer to debit/credit card
    CCV not on the card but in the app only

Negative
    Transaction log is horrible
    No Apple / Google Pay yet
    Debit card load cost a fee
    No signature panel despite signature being a credit card option for US terminals
    Limited security options compared to other bunq cards

From the T&C it looks like it is only going to be the ATM tax because no credit is extended so we should not pay stamp duty on it.

So in summary good if you need something thay a shop sees as credit card rather than a debit or prepaid card with the same requirements as a debit / prepaid card (funds available for blocking) and no debt possible.

I think I read somewhere that you can’t do direct debit with this account (whereas you can with the full thing).

The metallic effect for the card is lovely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Delta2113

"Are there restrictions to the bunq app when purchasing solely a bunq Travel Card?

Yes there are restrictions, Since bunq Travel Card is not a full bank account. As a Travel Card user you won't have access to Premium features such as: Free ATM withdraws, connect monetary accounts, multiple cards (including online cards), bunq.me, making (iDEAL) payments, API keys, Freedom of Choice, Massinterest and the ability to accept direct debits."

Best way to look at it is that it's a standalone product!

Not a full bank account!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 478 ✭✭revz

I couldn't sign up as currently travelling and they need proof of address. Unfortunate - Monese allowed me to recently, as did TransferWise. Mentioned that to support but they said their hands are tied

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Loads of updates including web interface.

https://www.bunq.com/updates

I've just ordered a bunq travel card and I invited 3 friends so get it for FREE (even if my friends never join).

Interesting that you can change your CVC code.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rock Paper Scissors

Guys is there a charge for POS transactions on the bunq travel card?

It doesn't say on their website

Cheers

Guys is there a charge for POS transactions on the bunq travel card?

It doesn't say on their website

Cheers

Nope - certainly I've never paid.

0.99 cent for ATM withdrawal is the only one I encountered

So if I use the card just for POS transactions and load it via bank transfer the only charge is the 9.99 for the card?

So if I use the card just for POS transactions and load it via bank transfer the only charge is the 9.99 for the card?

Yup - although if someone with bunq already gives you a link you cna get 30% off I think. PM if you want mine.

30% off what?

• Advertisement

30% off what?

the 9.99 cost of getting the card in the first place. Thought I read it somewhere

30% off what?

The 9.99 € initial fee

Get 100% off - sign up via app and invite 3 people via your phone contacts and get the card for FREE.

I even topped up yesterday via PTSB Sepa transfer and money arrived this morning on the card balance.

Delta2113 wrote: »
    Get 100% off - sign up via app and invite 3 people via your phone contacts and get the card for FREE.

I even topped up yesterday via PTSB Sepa transfer and money arrived this morning on the card balance.

But for this to work and to get the card for free, do the 3 people you invite have to sign up and use bunq?

No and I already statted this previously. I've just used my card online successfully to top up my bin collection company.

Used my Travel Card for the first time at a Supermarket self service. I was doing this to activate the contactless function. An error message came up on the machine and a worker had to come over and put it through.

I never actually used my PIN so I could have been anyone using it. Worker was helpful but I wonder did they bypass the security protocol as I suspect.

I think it was put through as If I had signed for it which I did'nt. Be interesting to try contactless next and see if it work's. I suspect it will.

Used my Travel Card for the first time at a Supermarket self service. I was doing this to activate the contactless function. An error message came up on the machine and a worker had to come over and put it through.

I never actually used my PIN so I could have been anyone using it. Worker was helpful but I wonder did they bypass the security protocol as I suspect.

I think it was put through as If I had signed for it which I did'nt. Be interesting to try contactless next and see if it work's. I suspect it will.

I found that I had to activate it at an ATM before chip & PIN would work. Just try to take more cash out than you have.

Curve App to register doesn't seem to like it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Narcissus

If you have a travel card account can you still make transfers? Or is it purely for POS/online transactions?

Narcissus wrote: »
    If you have a travel card account can you still make transfers? Or is it purely for POS/online transactions?

If the travel card is your only bunq account than you can only make card transactions.

Withdraws via bank transfers are limited to full fund withdraw to a bank account in your name.

• Advertisement

New cards. There was speculation that some of the cards were shown as Russian due to the BIN of the cards and hence it created issues using them online.

Here is what I just got:

We launched bunq Travel Card to give you a card that is accepted everywhere, worldwide.

There were a few online stores that didn’t accept the first batch of bunq Travel Cards because of an issue with the card numbers assigned by MasterCard.

To make sure you get the best acceptance everywhere, we are going to send you a replacement Travel Card.

Your replacement will ship sometime in the coming days, and we’ll let you know when it does.

To learn more, tap the link below.
    https://together.bunq.com/d/15793-we-re-improving-your-travel-card/2

New cards. There was speculation that some of the cards were shown as Russian due to the BIN of the cards and hence it created issues using them online.

Here is what I just got:

We launched bunq Travel Card to give you a card that is accepted everywhere, worldwide.

There were a few online stores that didn’t accept the first batch of bunq Travel Cards because of an issue with the card numbers assigned by MasterCard.

To make sure you get the best acceptance everywhere, we are going to send you a replacement Travel Card.

Your replacement will ship sometime in the coming days, and we’ll let you know when it does.

To learn more, tap the link below.
    https://together.bunq.com/d/15793-we-re-improving-your-travel-card/2

Got the email myself also - and it’s a total result for me because I’ve lost my travel card!

My old (lost) card was Russian coded indeed. I’m not sure what the issue is - maybe many shops were trying to charge natively in Rubles?

Got the e-mail just now - maybe we should have a separate thread for just the Bunq Travel Card?

Got the e-mail just now - maybe we should have a separate thread for just the Bunq Travel Card?

I agree it's such a different product.

So here we go:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=110803305#post110803305

https://www.bunq.com/green-card - €99 per year - no thanks!

https://www.bunq.com/green-card - €99 per year - no thanks!

Well they clearly have identified a market for this giving how quickly 1000 people paid 99€ for a metal version of the travel card that pays 1% cash back in trees.

They just got over 100 K € into their company within a couple of hours for nothing but hype and milking some of their customers feelings.

I say good for them, if there is a market and they have the ability to serve it than why not.

Does not change anything to the current travel card (well you can’t have both at the moment due to an app restriction) and also does not change anything to their account offerings.

Well they clearly have identified a market for this giving how quickly 1000 people paid 99€ for a metal version of the travel card that pays 1% cash back in trees.

They just got over 100 K € into their company within a couple of hours for nothing but hype and milking some of their customers feelings.

I say good for them, if there is a market and they have the ability to serve it than why not.

Does not change anything to the current travel card (well you can’t have both at the moment due to an app restriction) and also does not change anything to their account offerings.

They're monetising how to overcome their design decision to have pretty cards that look ****e when scratched

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Just got an email that bunq are doing away with their free product. I'll either have to figure out some way of keeping doing what I'm doing elsewhere, or I'll have to start paying €8 a month.

McGaggs wrote: »
    Just got an email that bunq are doing away with their free product. I'll either have to figure out some way of keeping doing what I'm doing elsewhere, or I'll have to start paying €8 a month.

It's clear they need more paying customers, sooner or later this needs to turn a profit.

But you can get 3 month of free premium out of this accordig to most reports, so you have enough time to search for something unless you like what you see and are willing to pay 7.99 a month for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 503 ✭✭✭MickH503

What are people's opinions of Bunq these days? Would you recommend it as a replacement for UB & KBC for everyday use in Ireland? I really like the idea of several different IBANs. Are the IBANs linked to the Netherlands? I know it's subjective, but is it worth €8.99 per month? Thanks!

Advertisement