Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fleet Foxes in Iveagh Gardens July 14th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 chewey91

Any luck with these presale tix? Keep getting an error saying 'Sorry, there was an error with search.'

• Registered Users Posts: 3 chewey91

Got 4 tix sorted through the spotify presale. No 9am madness on Thursday!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

These guys could be the first band on a CD I make called "Bands I Don't Care About".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Peter File

The Nal wrote: »
    These guys could be the first band on a CD I make called "Bands I Don't Care About".

Whatever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

The Nal wrote: »

Is that the follow-up to the critically acclaimed debut "Check out how cool I am, I don't like bands that other people like and want everyone to know it"?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Anyway... this could be a great gig. Not sure how outdoors would suit them though?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Could be tempted by this one...

and lads, just stick yer man on ignore, not worth getting het up about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Picked up a pair of tickets, and think it'll be a nice venue to see them in.

I had stopped listening to them for whatever reason for a few years, and heard battery kinzie on the radio a while back and it piqued my interest again.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

Delighted to hear this. I didn't know they were back together. New album in the offing I presume/hope?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

Delighted to hear this. I didn't know they were back together. New album in the offing I presume/hope?

Same here. Saw them a few years ago in London. They were great. Not sure if they'll suit outdoors but I bought a couple of tickets anyway. Hopefully there is a new album coming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Sound was really nice in Iveagh Gardens this year. It's also a gig that will probably sell mainly to fans so you won't get the after work crowd that ruins a lot of gigs there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

Iveagh worked well for Wilco, Grizzly Bear, Frames so I'd say it will work for Fleet Foxes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Effects wrote: »
    Sound was really nice in Iveagh Gardens this year. It's also a gig that will probably sell mainly to fans so you won't get the after work crowd that ruins a lot of gigs there.

Disagree. Turlough and Grainne will be finishing up their audit at 4pm and will be dying for a pint in the sun... "Apparently there's some band playing in Iveagh gardens so let's head there for a natter. I spent a Summer repping in Mykonos so I can relate to their tunes"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I wonder if they will play the big top at the Galway Arts Festival as well, St. Vincent and Grizzly Bear did both venues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

Xenji wrote: »
    I wonder if they will play the big top at the Galway Arts Festival as well, St. Vincent and Grizzly Bear did both venues.
    It's a common pairing all right

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Easy Rod wrote: »
    Disagree. Turlough and Grainne will be finishing up their audit at 4pm and will be dying for a pint in the sun... "Apparently there's some band playing in Iveagh gardens so let's head there for a natter. I spent a Summer repping in Mykonos so I can relate to their tunes"

That won't happen if it sells out, like people are predicting.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Saw them at the Marquee in Cork in 2011, really looking forward to this!

Saw them play back in 2008 in Shepard's Bush with Joshua pulling double duty as he opened as well, you could honestly hear a pin drop the crowd where so into it during the songs, seen them again in the Roundhouse and it was the same, but anytime I have seen them outdoors the shows just seem to lose a bit of the magic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Peter File

They have announced an extra concert on July 13 as the Friday concert is sold out. New show goes on sale this morning at 9am

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭AnnaSophia

My dad can't make it to this on Friday night, and will sell both tickets for €60, in Kells/Delvin area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

Weather lookin half daycent for Fridays gig. Very much looking forward to it.
    They played Cork last night, and tonight. Any langers on here in attendance? ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Has the gig info been released?
    Support band
    Stage times

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭ngunners

They played Cork last night, and tonight. Any langers on here in attendance? ;-)

I'm going to tonight's gig in the Cork Opera House. Will report back.

Has the gig info been released?
    Support band
    Stage times

Lyla Foy is the support. Think Fleet Foxes are on at 9...not 100% though.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,384 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Wasn't at the cork gig but heard good reports. Saw them Saturday and were very good, will be enjoyable shows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Was at Tuesday's show in the Opera House and they sounded great.
    Played a good chunk of albums #1 and #3 - 22 songs over ~1hr 55 mins by my count.
    Robin Pecknold's voice sounds perfect and he was telling stories about road trips in Cork and Kerry as a youngster, joking with the crowd throughout.
    The sheer level of instrumentation is impressive to see, too - the amount of mid-song instrument changes is very impressive.
    Setlist is here https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/fleet-foxes/2017/cork-opera-house-cork-ireland-be459fa.html
    I won't post much about it in case anyone doesn't want to know in advance, but a personal highlight was hearing 'Oliver James', while 'Third of May' sounded superb.

So, last night's gig...

It got off to a pretty slow start I thought. Lots of chatter in the audience,which was a bit distracting during some of the quieter moments. It really picked up about half way through and the second half of the gig really blew me away.

I agree with the above poster that Robin Pecknold's voice and the instrument changes were amazing. They played "kept woman" for the first time of the tour which was a really special moment (I'm not a superfan so I had to look up the song title).

Then for the encore they played a song that Pecknold claimed not to have even heard?! for 8 years. Innocent Son. It was prompted by an audience member just in front of the stage I think. He kept messing up the lyrics and then they played their planned encore. Afterwards, Pecknold came back on stage and nailed the song (he said he wanted to play it because it seemed like the aforementioned audience member really wanted to hear it).

Oh yeah, and the few bits of banter during the gig were really funny and genuine. Pecknold asked if anyone had seen Annie (which is coming to the Opera House soon) and then sang a couple of lines of "The Sun Will Come Out Tomorrow".

If they come back to Cork I'll definitely be there!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,535 ✭✭✭brevity

Yea they were good. I liked the fact that it was the first time he played the song...made the gig a bit more special.

The crowd was poor imo. Too much chatter and noise. Really stood out during the quieter songs. Why they have a bar in there is beyond me. Just go upstairs...

I saw them play in Shepherds Bush in 2008 with Josh doing double duty supporting as well, you could hear a pin drop during both sets, have never experienced any similar atmospheres since, it was like the crowd had a deep reverence for what they were seeing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

Brilliant gig at the Iveagh gardens last night (Thursday). Perfect venue for a band like this.
    They were in top form and really seemed to be enjoying it. They played a nice mix of new tunes and plenty of favourites from the earlier albums - Mykonos, Ragged Wood, Oliver James, Helplessness blues- to name just a few.
    Pecknold is one powerful vocalist.

Enjoy it tonight anyone who is going. You're in for a treat

Advertisement