Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fleet Foxes in Iveagh Gardens July 14th

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Really looking forward to this...watching the weather - can't wait!

Oh - and I heard of two spare tickets looking for a home, owing to a series of unfortunate events.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

Zeek12 wrote: »
    Brilliant gig at the Iveagh gardens last night (Thursday). Perfect venue for a band like this.
    They were in top form and really seemed to be enjoying it. They played a nice mix of new tunes and plenty of favourites from the earlier albums - Mykonos, Ragged Wood, Oliver James, Helplessness blues- to name just a few.
    Pecknold is one powerful vocalist.

Enjoy it tonight anyone who is going. You're in for a treat

Sounds good.
    What were the stage times and did they play long?
    Really looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Battery Kinzie

That was great last night. They started at 8.45 on the dot and played at least 20 songs.

The Shrine/An Argument was a particular highlight.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

Sounds good.
    What were the stage times and did they play long?
    Really looking forward to it.

They came on shortly after half 8. Played for almost 2 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

Thanks. Is the support act worth checking out?

• Advertisement

Support was Lyla Foy.

Grand....easy listening

• Registered Users Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Favoloso!! Loved it. What a perfect evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Great gig last night. I missed seeing the Fleet Foxes when they were here a few years ago, and I was delighted to catch them again. As others said above; Robin Pecknold has an amazing set of vocals, however they did start to give out towards the end of his set. You could hear his voice breaking on some of his solo songs. He mentioned how delighted he was that they'd a day off today.

When he came on for their encore he mentioned that the band would play two songs and he'd stay onstage to play some songs fans had been requesting. There was a lot of people in the crowd just chatting (not sure why you'd go to a gig and spend the whole time chatting with your back to the band), so it was hard to hear what he'd said. Sure enough the band left after the encore and Pecknold stayed on stage for another three solo Fleet Foxes songs.

Great performance from the whole band. I wasn't sure what to expect, but Pecknold is a great frontman. There was a lot of messing around with the crowd, and showed good chemistry with the band too. He got a great laugh out of the crowd when he played a song after his encore and admitted that he'd forgotten the words.

3rd of May, Helplessness Blues, Your Protector, and Oliver James were some of the standout tracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Really enjoyable gig, despite the worst bunch of chatters I've seen at a gig. Found a better spot at the back after a bit of moving around.

At some points it felt like a gig in a beer garden, there were so few people interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Really enjoyable gig, despite the worst bunch of chatters I've seen at a gig. Found a better spot at the back after a bit of moving around.

At some points it felt like a gig in a beer garden, there were so few people interested.

I'd some D4 gobsheen behind me at one stage giving a running commentary to his mate during the quieter acoustic songs. So annoying.

The band were in great form though. Delighted I got to see them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Best gig I was at this year. They really have a great set of songs to choose from. Disappointed meadowlarks didn't get a turn but other than, it was perfect.
    Have to say, didn't really notice much chatters. Crowd seemed good.
    Hopefully they stay together for many more years.

3rd of May is an outstanding tune.
    I'm still acclimatising to the new album....but this one really stands out.
    So glad I caught them live this time. What an exceptional band.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,619 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I must admit I was fairly blown away by their more "prog" elements, especially the new songs. There's definitely a taste of piper at the gates of dawn in some of those new songs live. Right up my street.

Like others, I was highly impressed in the vocal range, raspy and violent to warm and innocent.

Unforgettable and unique

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Placid_Casual

Was lucky enough to have gotten along both nights. They, and particularly Robin, were outstanding both nights. Like others have mentioned, they seemed to be genuinely really enjoying themselves. In stark contrast to when I lat saw them in Belfast in 2011, when they seemed to be going through the motions. I didn't realise it at the time but there was obviously a lot of tension in the band then, particularly Robin and Josh.
    Speaking of whom, I felt like they do miss him in a live context, purely for the harmonies. They just don't have the same depth without him and I feel like there's certain harmony laden songs that they may be deliberately leaving off the setlist because they just can't do them without him (e.g. Montezuma, Sin Sala Bin, Sun Giant). Although, as others have mentioned, Robin's vocals were top quality and maybe they stand out more without Josh.

Anyway, highlights for me over both nights were He Doesn't Know Why, The Shrine/An Argument and Oliver James.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Was lucky enough to have gotten along both nights. They, and particularly Robin, were outstanding both nights. Like others have mentioned, they seemed to be genuinely really enjoying themselves. In stark contrast to when I lat saw them in Belfast in 2011, when they seemed to be going through the motions. I didn't realise it at the time but there was obviously a lot of tension in the band then, particularly Robin and Josh.
    Speaking of whom, I felt like they do miss him in a live context, purely for the harmonies. They just don't have the same depth without him and I feel like there's certain harmony laden songs that they may be deliberately leaving off the setlist because they just can't do them without him (e.g. Montezuma, Sin Sala Bin, Sun Giant). Although, as others have mentioned, Robin's vocals were top quality and maybe they stand out more without Josh.

Anyway, highlights for me over both nights were He Doesn't Know Why, The Shrine/An Argument and Oliver James.

I neber thought of that with regards missing him for harmonies. Pity becuase those two you mentioned are two of my favourites.

Advertisement