Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Housing Crisis being created on purpose!

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

man98 wrote: »
    Say what you want, but calling our building standards excessive is just wrong - they were absolutely lackluster throughout the boom. The reason they exist is to prevent another Priory Hall. There's plenty of derelict land in Dublin, Cork, any city. What's holding up construction is limits on building height, lack of willingness on behalf of councils and a lack of funds to an extent. Councils do not and will not build social housing right now and they're holding the waiting lists hostage. It's plain wrong. Limiting buildings to 5 storeys in Dublin's centre is sending people by the busload out to the suburbs. More cars on the road, less children in empty city schools, more commuting time wasted - an infrastructural nightmare.

Not to mention another form of Leprechaun Economics - property values including land prices in this country are pure make believe. Time to scrap zoning and bring in town planning orders (like motorway orders) with CPOs at agricultural prices + 25%. Time to get rid of our inefficient economy and drive competition in sectors like construction - cost of building materials would be a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭man98

Middle Man wrote: »
    Not to mention another form of Leprechaun Economics - property values including land prices in this country are pure make believe. Time to scrap zoning and bring in town planning orders (like motorway orders) with CPOs at agricultural prices + 25%. Time to get rid of our inefficient economy and drive competition in sectors like construction - cost of building materials would be a start.

Zoning is beggar's belief however I can't imagine putting more power in council hands will change anything. Look at the likes of Portlaoise, there's a massive development on the old dump a few km outside of the town. There's the N80(?) running through it but other than that it's an awful place for transport, there's next to no amenities (there might be a Paddy Power there nowadays actually :pac: ) and it's a council approved nightmarish development. Inflating land values (See: Irish Glass Bottle Plant) leads to these out of town, miles away from anywhere, built on a dump developments. The problem? The councils are only too happy to facilitate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Middle Man wrote: »

The Kenny report from the early 70's... never happened:rolleyes:
    €1500 for an eight of an acre plot on the edge of town? it would crash existing values... we can't be having that now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Idbatterim wrote: »
    a thread has started on after hours titled with a strong hint of sarcasm, "the government has solved the housing crisis" a poster living in berlin, posted the below, so once again I want to know, why our visionaries in planning wont allow this here, they obviously know better than German planners! there is another statement of sarcasm overload in case it isn't obvious!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=101953822&postcount=40
    That is the most ludicrously kippy little studio I've ever seen. Dublin is only 1 million people, there is plenty of space for decent sized apts. This isn't Hong Kong.

All through the boom people repeatedly complained that sizes were too small and standards not high enough. Sizes and standards were raised and now some people want them lowered again.

Another objective is to get families living centrally again in apartments, how will that kip achieve that?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

It's not easy to convince families to settle in apartments and own a home where management fees can be >2% of the cost of the apartment.

Not everyone wants or needs an apartment that has lots of space as would suit a family. It would be so much better to have a wider variety of apartment sizes, with 4 bed apartments mandated and e.g. 10% or less of apartments in a development built as special studio designs with less floor space.

So much housing demand in Dublin and to a certain extent Cork and Galway is coming from younger single professionals in IT from other European countries. A growing student population doesn't help. I think better noise insulation and bigger kitchen appliances would do more for liveability than more living room space tbh.

Lowering limits in a crude fashion would only help greedy developers though. And I think there are far bigger issues constraining supply, like landowners sitting on brownfield sites and sloppy use and planning of what meagre infrastructure we do have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

All through the boom people repeatedly complained that sizes were too small and standards not high enough. Sizes and standards were raised and now some people want them lowered again.

Another objective is to get families living centrally again in apartments, how will that kip achieve that?

I dont think under current regs that apartments are too small... Talking of standards, the noise issue is massive thats the bloody one they need to address! They wont address building costs!

One big issue with apartments in my opinion, whether sharing or with a family. There is no room away from the kitchen / dining / living room! That is a massive problem in my opinion!

Money could be way better spent on eliminating dual aspect and lift core ratio and use some of the savings towards other areas that in my opinion, would be money far better spent.

Advertisement