Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

EFL Cup QF: Liverpool v Leeds, 7.45 Sky Sports 1

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Morrison J

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    It's rare tbf.

If you don't finish your chances you don't really deserve to win.

The better team losing in a football match is rare? You need to watch more football if you think thats the case!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Anyone thinking the better team lost tonight is talking rubbish.

Turtyturd wrote: »

Nobody has said that. I said Leeds matched them which they did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

By my reckoning, only 2 players were not on the Liverpool team or subs last weekend, Stewart and Arnold. All of the rest started or were on the subs bench.

That's hardly 3rd string. And it was certainly not Leeds best 11.

We are missing a good few through injury so a lot of the youngsters were on the bench the last two/three weeks.

Liverpool starting lineup if everyone is fit is Karius, Clyne, Matip, Lovern, Milner, Henderson, Lallana, Can/Gigi, Mane, Firmino and Counthio.

Only Can, Gigi and Mane started today would be considered first teamer starters.

Edit:

We'd a good mixture of youth and some veterans out there tonight, buy very few could be considered first team starters bar the ones I names above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Have to agree, Leeds were decent but our quality showed overall.

Quality sig btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Morrison J wrote: »
    Maybe watch a team more than once before ruling them out of promotion ffs.

He doesn't have time. Too busy watching training sessions with Liverpool 4th string vs 5th string :)

I don't think Leeds were better, but they gave Liverpool a game, certainly were on top for the first 15 or 20 of the second half and it wasn't a bad game. One of the rare occasions when both can leave the pitch happy with the outing, and the fans of both would get something out if it, neither fielding their best players. Real League Cup stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Anyone saying that is talking rubbish.

So basically no one then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Leeds might get to the playoffs if they stick with Monk.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Only Can, Gigi and Mane started today would be considered first teamer starters.

We weren't too far apart so.

Only consistent Leeds starters who played the majority of the game were Bartley, Taylor and arguably Roofe.

Likes of Green, Ayling, Jansson, Bridcutt, Hernandez, O'Kane and Wood start every league game when fit.

I don't think Leeds were better, but they gave Liverpool a game, certainly were on top for the first 15 or 20 of the second half and it wasn't a bad game. One of the rare occasions when both can leave the pitch happy with the outing, and the fans of both would get something out if it, neither fielding their best players. Real League Cup stuff.

Fair summation, good ould game, same with Spurs previously.

I'd say Liverpool were the better team in the first half, just the final ball or took the wrong option a few times, to be expected. Leeds were good for 20/25 minutes in the second half.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Newcastle are out with an appalling peno shoot out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

We weren't too far apart so.

Only consistent Leeds starters who played the majority of the game were Bartley, Taylor and arguably Roofe.

Likes of Green, Ayling, Jansson, Bridcutt, Hernandez, O'Kane and Wood start every league game when fit.

O'Kane started this game tonight as well

O'Kane started this game tonight as well

Went off after 28 minutes though so didn't play the majority of the game! Massive loss at the time. Been excellent for us.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

Newcastle are out with an appalling peno shoot out.

I still love watching Jonjo and his crazy antics. tonight he decided to miss a penalty

K-9 wrote: »
    Fair summation, good ould game, same with Spurs previously.

I'd say Liverpool were the better team in the first half, just the final ball or took the wrong option a few times, to be expected. Leeds were good for 20/25 minutes in the second half.

Thankfully there are some sensible Liverpool posters here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

It won't be received well but it's fairly small time for fellow Liverpool fans giving it the big one after beating Leeds.

niallo27 wrote: »
    If Leeds can't beat a third string liverpool side they have no place in the premiership. Mid table championship I'd their level

Still waiting for you to list the first and second string players you indicated weren't playing tonight.

Mignolet is 3rd choice keeper? who's 2nd choice?

Moreno is 3rd choice LB? Who's 2nd?

Origi?

It won't be received well but it's fairly small time for fellow Liverpool fans giving it the big one after beating Leeds.

Nothing exactly over the the top.

Quarryman can give it too. He'll be the 1st to admit banter is part and parcel.

I wouldn't be getting too offended over harmless stuff

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Read below for an accurate summary of the game.

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Nothing exactly over the the top.

Quarryman can give it too. He'll be the 1st to admit banter is part and parcel.

I wouldn't be getting too offended over harmless stuff

Absolutely. I love you all and hate you equally.

quarryman wrote: »
    Thankfully there are some sensible Liverpool posters here.

Where? Get me my stick and I chase them out of here :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

Possibly a reaction to a Leeds supporter who regularly likes to pass unwarranted and less-than-favourable comments about Liverpool in match threads. Must say most of the Leeds fans in here seem grand. This one has form though...

Read below for an accurate summary of the game.

Sounds like a pretty close game to me tbf. Not sure what your point is.

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Where? Get me my stick and I chase them out of here :pac:

Sorry, I meant to add a link to the end of my post there.

Good Liverpool posters here.

SM01 wrote: »
    Possibly a reaction to a Leeds supporter who regularly likes to pass unwarranted and less-than-favourable comments about Liverpool in match threads. Must say most of the Leeds fans in here seem grand. This one has form though...

That conor74 guy, such a WUM...

;)

Sounds like a pretty close game to me tbf. Not sure what your point is.
    Liverpool 'won' the first half easily. Leeds came out on fire for the first 30 minutes of the second half and Liverpool bossed the game after that.

Calling it close is nowhere near accurate.

Big up your team all you want, other than Leeds shot against the post, close was nowhere in the vicinity of that game.

You fecker you just cost me £120 :pac:

Liverpool 'won' the first half easily. Leeds came out on fire for the first 30 minutes of the second half and Liverpool bossed the game after that.

Calling it close is nowhere near accurate.

Big up your team all you want, other than Leeds shot against the post, close was nowhere in the vicinity of that game.

Won the first half easy? We kept it tight and didn't give you a clear cut chance. You created nothing. We had by far and away the best chance with Sacko's one on one.

It was most certainly a close match ffs. Hasselbaink even said we had the better of it. I thought it was tight the whole way.

• Advertisement

Won the first half easy? We kept it tight and didn't give you a clear cut chance. You created nothing. We had by far and away the best chance with Sacko's one on one.

It was most certainly a close match ffs. Hasselbaink even said we had the better of it. I thought it was tight the whole way.
    Ah here, Hasselbaink said it?

Rrrrrrrrrright....

I'm off, enjoy your moral 'victory', hope it keeps you warm on cold winter nights.

Can't argue with that, you guys had a one on one in the first half, Liverpool had lots of possession but did f all with it, 2nd half you had us penned in for 25/30 mins, forced us into sloppy give aways in our own half and by and large were dominating the game!

Clearly it was a close match all the way, Liverpool fans who think it was an easy win are forgetting how bang average we looked until the goal went in. Leeds pretty unlucky imo.

Can't believe I fell for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

It doesn't matter. The match and performance doesn't matter. Klopp picks this team, not to hammer a lower division team like Leeds, but to just get by a lower division team like Leeds and get to the semi final without having an effect on our league game this weekend.

Well done Leeds, you's performed well at Anfield. Congrats. But you's got knocked out soooooo..............

Still waiting for you to list the first and second string players you indicated weren't playing tonight.

Origi?

Ah here, it's the second string obviously!

Can and Mane would be regulars, Gini first 13/14.

Klopp brought on Woodburn from the bench so wasn't treating the game as top priority, as inspired as the substition was.

Can't argue with that, you guys had a one on one in the first half, Liverpool had lots of possession but did f all with it, 2nd half you had us penned in for 25/30 mins, forced us into sloppy give aways in our own half and by and large were dominating the game!

Clearly it was a close match all the way, Liverpool fans who think it was an easy win are forgetting how bang average we looked until the goal went in. Leeds pretty unlucky imo.

Spot on. Nice to see some sense!

Very close game that Liverpool took their chances in. That was the difference as it often is. Can't have any complaints.

Lots of comments online (from Liverpool fans) about how outstanding the Leeds fans were throughout the game. Lots of noise.

Don't care about the post made earlier that Leeds don't deserve to be in the Premiership. It'll make it all the sweeter when we are. :)

MOT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

That's all very well but Leeds are out and liverpool are in the semi finals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,465 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Is next round a random draw? Hope we avoid United and play them in final, and lose 3-1 to them up to the 80 min, but end up winning 3-4 after extra time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Origi?

OK borderline 2nd choice. That Liverpool team were in 2nd gear and could have done without two extra games but Leeds made it too easy for them.

That's all very well but Leeds are out and liverpool are in the semi finals.

I'm well aware of that.

Theres a difference between narratives though. Those saying it was Leeds' best team against a Liverpool B team and Leeds aren't going up as a result of tonight haven't a clue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

That Liverpool team were in 2nd gear and could have done without two extra games but Leeds made it too easy for them.

Best avoid CL so! Way more games in that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

That's being kind. I know it was more or less second string but Liverpool were awful for large stretches of the game, can't remember last time I saw them give the ball away so frequently and so cheaply.

Milkers wrote: »
    That's being kind. I know it was more or less second string but Liverpool were awful for large stretches of the game, can't remember last time I saw them give the ball away so frequently and so cheaply.

Yup, yet some folk think we were brilliant and dominated the match, we scraped through, I'll take it and run but it was poor!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Liverpool weren't exactly blown away either.

It was an ok performance and bar one or two good attempts from Leeds they didn't create much else. They came closest from a long range shot.

Liverpool scored 2 goals and hit the post also. I think it was a fair result. I was impressed by Leeds but for a much changed Liverpool team and bar about 30 minutes of the game I'm happy enough with the performance. At no point was I worried about losing the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭stryker mcqueen

I never expected to go to Anfield and win tbh but we gave an excellent account of ourselves, making 2 subs in the 1st half was a killer and the high press game we employed in the 2nd half would sap the energy eventually.

A bit like the Man Utd game in the FA cup , we really needed to score first and hope Liverpool had an off day and ride our luck, the goal was coming , the young lad at right full has some delivery in his locker, I dont blame the keeper as its a nightmare ball to defend! the oul " corridor of uncertainty" if you will.

Anyway best of luck to Liverpool , hope yis win it now , I like Klopp even if his post match comments irritated me.

Leeds are going in the right direction and if anyone wants to write off their promotion chances in November while 5th in the League, they need their head examined, we'll be back some day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

TBF at least Leeds went at it and gave it a shot, and didn't throw everyone behind the ball for 90 minutes!

I liked their attitude and it nearly paid dividends, with (Roufe?) dispossessing Stewart and curling the shot off the post.

I always felt that Liverpool had the upper hand though and looked threatening in and around the box.

DDC1990 wrote: »
    TBF at least Leeds went at it and gave it a shot, and didn't throw everyone behind the ball for 90 minutes!

I liked their attitude and it nearly paid dividends, with (Roufe?) dispossessing Stewart and curling the shot off the post.

I always felt that Liverpool had the upper hand though and looked threatening in and around the box.
    +1

A lot of teams come to Anfield and play 6-3-1(:rolleyes:) with no effort to play football but a lot of credit to Monk and Leeds for coming and playing football and doing better that a lot of teams much higher up in the league.

Advertisement