Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clothing deposit

Options
  • 29-11-2016 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭

I had put a deposit on clothes in a shop but totally forgot about it ,and it was over a year ago I only found the receipt yesterday ,I brought it into the shop and explained and said I forgot but I normally shop there ,and they refused to give me back my deposit .what rights do I have

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

None. What do you think a deposit is for? It secures the item for you but also removes it from availability for sale to others. They hold the item but can't do so indefinitely, then sell it possibly as at a sale price as end of line or out of season.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Deposits don't hold an item forever, they hold stuff or services for a set amount of time. If you don't follow through on the purchase within the required time then you forfeit your deposit.

It's that simple.
    Not sure how people get old enough to own bank accounts but still don't understand the basics of deposits, it's scary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

Cabaal wrote: »
    Deposits don't hold an item forever, they hold stuff or services for a set amount of time. If you don't follow through on the purchase within the required time then you forfeit your deposit.

It's that simple.
    Not sure how people get old enough to own bank accounts but still don't understand the basics of deposits, it's scary

Indeed. The amount of posts in recent weeks where people do not understand exactly what a deposit entails is shocking.

OP, live and learn. Next time don't forget and you won't be out of pocket

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Ladyinthedark

Yes your right I learned a lesson ,I forgot so my fault but just hate them keeping my deposit lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Walter2016

Yes your right I learned a lesson ,I forgot so my fault but just hate them keeping my deposit lol.

They may have kept the item for quite a while and after realising you weren't coming in, it was probably too late to sell at full price and they probably sold it at a reduced price.

Where I am, we hold products for max two weeks without deposit and automatically put them back out. Customers are told this. Avoids the deposit issue and avoids us ending up with dead stock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

If you ask VERY nicely they MIGHT let you use the deposit or some of it to part-pay for something else, especially if you're a frequent customer?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

I had put a deposit on clothes in a shop but totally forgot about it ,and it was over a year ago I only found the receipt yesterday ,I brought it into the shop and explained and said I forgot but I normally shop there ,and they refused to give me back my deposit .what rights do I have

None at all. It's beyond me how so many people find it so difficult to understand what a deposit it is.

OP it's not the shop's fault you forgot and you can't just expect them to hold an item for you indefinitely.

Suck it up and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

if the shop doesn't say how long they can hold the deposit for does that mean indefinitely? Usually in a contract if there is a term it needs to be stipulated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

Personal opinion is prob 30 days to hold the stock and 12 months to transfer the deposit, but I don't think opinion should matter when it comes to customer rights and contracts. If I was the OP I would have a look at the receipt received for the deposit, if there's no terms on it then go in and ask for funds to be transferred to another product, don't expect a refund though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Posters - as this is the second recent thread on deposits, I think we can avoid "Do people understand what deposits are for?" type comments.

Please focus on responding to the OP

dudara

Advertisement