Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any interest in part-time bike related business?

• 29-11-2016 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭

All, I love bikes/engines/travelling and all related gadgets, etc., like most of us here.

I'd love to be more active in this industry, somehow, and maybe make some money from it.

We don't need another shop selling / fixing motorbikes. Or a site just selling online parts sourced from the UK. There's no money and too much EU competition in that, right? Probably. It's kinda been discussed before here, I believe.

HOWEVER, I'm interested in hearing (private messages maybe) from people who might be interested in doing something part-time, and have some skills/ideas/products to offer.

For example, maybe you're a home DIY mechanic who wants to advertise availability & receive bookings online.

Maybe you're an engineer who can design & get your hands on simple accessories, like GPS holders / brackets / adaptors, etc. Maybe you made something for yourself and thought "I could sell these" but didn't know where to begin.

Maybe you have contacts with parts distributors but just need a site to sell them; along with all the SEO (search engine optimisation) so that you can be found online easily.

Maybe you're a tour company that needs a website, with real-time GPS tracking while you're away on your, and needs booking facilities, etc.

Or maybe you want to start a tour company? Or a bike rental company?

Maybe you're just a business guy who has contacts in this industry and would like to put them to good use.

Maybe you'd like to write bike/mechanical articles/tutorials or make videos, and have your own site or section of a site.

Maybe you've had some ideas but just never had an outlet for them.

What I can offer is something that normally costs a bomb, & is one of the reasons that can put anybody off starting a business: IT skills. My IT skills are extensive; GPS phone apps, coding chips, building websites, online shops, blah, blah, blah. Without being arrogant, there isn't much I cannot grasp in this field. I'm also fairly handy with bikes/mechanics at this stage. In this day and age, a good technical presence is a huge advantage/edge to any non-technical company, such as those in this industry. Being found and being easily accessible is key. Good tech gets companies ahead of those without it.

I have some free time coming up and might make a go of something, so msg me if you wanna talk further and I'll determine the level of interest and who brings what, if anything. It's worth asking anyway.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Are you saying you want to get out of the......

Rat race..................sorry couldnt resist..:D

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

Are you saying you want to get out of the......

Rat race..................sorry couldnt resist..:D

Exactly. Even if you win the rat race, you're still a rat!

You'll struggle to get anything bike related off the ground here..markets too small, ebay and the strong euro at the moment...labour costs are too high for one off items, no-ones really bothered imo...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

You'll struggle to get anything bike related off the ground here..markets too small, ebay and the strong euro at the moment...labour costs are too high for one off items, no-ones really bothered imo...:)

Well, yeah I do agree, but not really thinking of an Irish market, necessarily. Or anything that needs Irish labour, property, or salaries, at least unless something took off. My main aim would be to do something related to bike tourism or selling very simple parts, maybe designed by an engineer here (manufactured cheaply abroad, for example)...something different.

Nothing worthwhile doing is easy...

rat_race wrote: »
    Well, yeah I do agree, but not really thinking of an Irish market, necessarily. Or anything that needs Irish labour, property, or salaries, at least unless something took off. My main aim would be to do something related to bike tourism or selling very simple parts, maybe designed by an engineer here (manufactured cheaply abroad, for example)...something different.

Nothing worthwhile doing is easy...

Heres an idea....a coffee shop...you can never have enough of those it seems..:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

Heres an idea....a coffee shop...you can never have enough of those it seems..

proper bikers Cafe like ACE Cafe in London?
    Buy a drone and get footage of guys lashing over the gap in the summer or in mondello and sell them footage online....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Zipppy wrote: »
    Buy a drone and get footage of guys lashing over the gap in the summer or in mondello and sell them footage online....

sell the footage to the insurance/gardai... :eek: like the guys on the nordschleife

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

There might be a market for my anti-drone guns so :D

Here..???.is he avin a laff...??????....place would be empty if it was , a weekday, cold, wet, cold and wet, looked like it was going to be cold or wet..........:D

Advertisement