Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Nest - Electric Ireland Offer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Great, thanks again!! None of this is for me, but I'll pass on the info! Appreciate it :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

bk wrote: »
    The unit rate of electricity on this Nest deal is 28% higher then the best available on the market (Energia). 16.23 versus 12.67.

Over a year, using the average Irish home electricity usage, you will pay €177 more (not including the €99 install fee for Nest).

I found I'd save €200 by buying a Netatmo myself for €99 and installing it myself and going for the cheapest electricity supplier, so that is what I did.

But then that isn't Nest, if you really want Nest, then this deal would be slightly cheaper then buying one from the Nest site yourself and getting someone to install it.

A Nest on Amazon currently costs about €240, so if you have an installer out anyway, probably cheaper to buy it from Amazon yourself, then going for this deal (as long as you sign up for the Energia deal, once out of contract).

BTW I think there is a €100 charge for breaking a contract.

I don't know where you get your figures, but according to Bonkers.ie I'm saving €200 a year going from Energia to Electric Ireland. Savings would be better again but Airtricity only do the Climote. Also according to Energia I couldn't avail of the Netatmo offer, as my house wasn't suitable (so they said), so the installed price for one was €249?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

whiterebel wrote: »
    I don't know where you get your figures, but according to Bonkers.ie I'm saving €200 a year going from Energia to Electric Ireland. Savings would be better again but Airtricity only do the Climote. Also according to Energia I couldn't avail of the Netatmo offer, as my house wasn't suitable (so they said), so the installed price for one was €249?

If you are an existing customer of Energia, then you obviously wouldn't get Energia's new customer rate, though if you threatened to leave, then they would obviously give you the rate our something close, but bonkers won't list it

From Bonkers.ie, here is the best Energia plan:
    http://www.bonkers.ie/compare-gas-electricity-prices/energia/F6CMHG/energia-clever-electricity--web-exclusive-33--/

12.67 cent per kWh
    €158.05 annual standing charge

And the Electric Ireland Nest plan:
    http://www.bonkers.ie/compare-gas-electricity-prices/electric-ireland/XPA64A/electric-ireland-nest--direct-debit---online-billing--new-customers--5-5-/

16.23 cent per kWh
    €145.58 annual standing charge

You can work out the rest yourself based on your own yearly usage.

BTW I wasn't suggesting getting Netatmo from Energia, I got mine off Amazon and installed it myself.

Yes you might argue that installing it yourself isn't a like for like comparison. But Nest can really only be installed by a RGII, while Netatmo has two different methods of install, one method which is pretty easy to do DIY, thus saving on the need for an install cost.

In Cormie's example, the install cost is irrelevant as the person is getting a full new boiler installed anyway.

BBTW Even if you don't get a good rate from Energia, Bord Gais Energy are only very slightly more expensive, but still much cheaper then Electric Irelands Nest plan.

From bonkers, based on average yearly usage:

€909.68 - Energia Clever Electricity (Web Exclusive 33%)
    €916.68 - Bord Gais Energy 24% Discount (Paperless, Direct Debit & Level Pay)
    €1,086.09 - Electric Ireland Nest (Direct Debit & Online Billing, New Customers) 5.5%

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I linked to it in the above post!

http://www.bonkers.ie/compare-gas-electricity-prices/energia/F6CMHG/energia-clever-electricity--web-exclusive-33--/

It isn't on the Energia website, it seems to be a special offer available via sites like bonkers.

You will have to sign up to a new 12 month contract on a plan that is about €170 more expensive then what you would get if you moved to another company.

At €99 it is ok, at €199 it makes no sense at all. You end up paying a lot more then just buying it from Harvey Norman and having them installing it and you go for a cheaper energy deal.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

You are using the electricity only deal, by the looks of it. I went with the Dual Fuel Nest deal which puts me at €200 per year better off than Energia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 frankthetank83

It is the cheapest option in market. The package is worth over 400 quid. 249 for nest, 36 for stand is needed and about 140 for pro install. The price for existing elec Ireland customer is 199 and there is no contract involved.

There is also an option of nest with gas boiler service for 249.

whiterebel wrote: »
    You are using the electricity only deal, by the looks of it. I went with the Dual Fuel Nest deal which puts me at €200 per year better off than Energia.

Yes, because it is way cheaper to get gas and electricity from separate companies (namely flogas for Gas) then to bundle them all together.

Based on yearly average usage:
    Electric Ireland Nest Dual Fuel: €1,893.51

Energia Electricity: €909.68
    Flogas Gas: €762.96
    Total for both: €1,672.64

€1,893.51 - €1,672.64 = €220

So you are paying €220 more then you need to!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 frankthetank83

Electric Ireland Offer:

1893 + 99 (Nest price) = 1992

Bundling Offer:
    Electricity: 909
    Gas: 763
    Nest: 249
    Pro Install: 140
    Stand: 36
    Total: 2097

Electric Ireland is €105 cheaper

People are getting caught out if they are not able to install it themselves (like me!). I got warranty etc. from electric Ireland so seemed like a much better deal to me and I have both gas and electric fro same company.

Or else just switch to them for gas and electric including a €175 bonus and get the Nest package and gas boiler service for €249. I would have done this but I have an oil boiler and they don't service those.

Harvey Norman have it for €220 so you could take €30 off the difference.

However I think the above more reflects how expensive Nest is and I'm not sure that it is really worth it.

I looked at the price exactly as you have done above and instead I decided to go with Netatmo:

Bundling Offer:
    Electricity: 909
    Gas: 763
    Netatmo: 99
    Install: Self Install
    Total: 1771

So I saved €220 versus the above Nest deal.

Now don't get me wrong, if you really want Nest or have to get it because you have a hot water zone, then this is an ok deal. But it certainly isn't a fantastic deal that people make out. You are only saving €70 versus getting Nest yourself and you are spending €220 more then if you got Netatmo.

I'm not saying that people shouldn't take up this deal. But I'm just making sure people are fully informed on the true cost of this.

VERY IMPORTANT If you do decide to go for this deal, then set a reminder for 12 months from now to move electricity supplier once the contract is up. You certainly don't want to be paying an extra €220 every year on an ongoing basis! I'm sure that is what EI are hoping you do, that you forget to move and it would end up making getting this deal a very expensive mistake.

Personally, I review all my bills (electric, gas, various insurance, broadband, etc.) at the same time every year and as a result save myself hundreds every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

It is the cheapest option in market. The package is worth over 400 quid. 249 for nest, 36 for stand is needed and about 140 for pro install. The price for existing elec Ireland customer is 199 and there is no contract involved.

There is also an option of nest with gas boiler service for 249.

In no world is it 140 for an Install. It takes 30 minutes. Add 30 minutes travelling and maybe 70 euro is a reasonable rate.

• Advertisement

ted1 wrote: »
    In no world is it 140 for an Install. It takes 30 minutes. Add 30 minutes travelling and maybe 70 euro is a reasonable rate.

I know right, but that is what Harvey Norman charge for a Nest install! If anyone has other quotes for install cost, I'd love to hear it *

I did my neighbours Netatmo install last week, literally 10 minutes.

* I'd be interested in getting my Netatmo setup wirelessly, I don't think that is a big job at all, but more then I'm willing to do as a DIYer.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭slicedpanman

Hi all
    I took the 99+279 offer for electric Ireland for nest x2 with install. For anyone interested the guy had two stands with him so they were included saving me 40 quid (only wanted one stand)
    Also felt I got good value on the install as he was here for the guts of four hours doing the two zones plus tests.
    Very happy so far
    And have my reminder set to switch supplier in twelve months

I would double check and get it in writing. Otherwise what would stop you from taking this deal and then changing to a cheaper company a month later?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

It'll cost you 200 euro to leave , always read the t&c's

https://www.electricireland.ie/residential/helpful-links/switch-terms-and-conditions

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Shred

I know right, but that is what Harvey Norman charge for a Nest install! If anyone has other quotes for install cost, I'd love to hear it *

I spoke with two installers on the phone while trying to size up my options; based on my configuration (single zone, oil burner) I was quoted €120 by one and €100-150 by the other. I ended up doing the install myself (with remote assistance/wiring advice from a sparks) and can safely say it's a handy 100+ quid for someone!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Shred wrote: »
    I ended up doing the install myself (with remote assistance/wiring advice from a sparks) and can safely say it's a handy 100+ quid for someone!

Like most things, it's cheaper to do it yourself than paying someone that has to make a living from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Anyone know if there nest from electric.ireland is a gen 2 or gen 3?
    My understanding is that the general 3 will control the hit water as well, is this correct?

Thanks

Anyone know if there nest from electric.ireland is a gen 2 or gen 3?
    My understanding is that the general 3 will control the hit water as well, is this correct?

Thanks

Gen 3, it does the hot water as well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Probably answering my own question here. Is there any merit to considering a Nest (or similar) where you have a poor insulation and a system that doesn't work well in certain rooms i.e. rads not going so great, no PVC windows, etc? Fix the basics first...

Yeah I'd say definitely start with the basics, insulation for a start, I actually made a thread just recently on attic insulation: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057679879

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Anyone know how it replaces a programmer that has a separate schedule for hot water and heating? It replaces the existing thermostat, but how does it replace the existing programmer?

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Anyone know how it replaces a programmer that has a separate schedule for hot water and heating? It replaces the existing thermostat, but how does it replace the existing programmer?

It will actually replace the programmer. Nest and other smart Thermostats are actually both Theromostat and programmer in one. The old concept of separate programmers and thermostats goes away with them.

More info on hot water control here:
    https://nest.com/ie/support/article/Learn-more-about-the-3rd-generation-Nest-Thermostat-s-domestic-hot-water-control

Probably answering my own question here. Is there any merit to considering a Nest (or similar) where you have a poor insulation and a system that doesn't work well in certain rooms i.e. rads not going so great, no PVC windows, etc? Fix the basics first...

Well here is the thing, I wouldn't necessarily say don't.

The thing is replacing the boiler, rads, insulation, etc. are going to be horribly expensive, by comparison a smart thermostat is a relatively cheap and quick and easy thing to install.

But you shouldn't think of a smart thermostat as a way to reduce your gas usage or save money (like insulation might do in the long term). Rather I look at them as a great improvement to your comfort and convenience.

They are most useful to make sure that you always come home from work or from a long holiday to a nice warm home. Sure you can do that with a basic programmer, but the problem with that is these days people have very varying schedules compared to the past (heading for drinks after work). So with an old style programmer they either end up coming home early to a cold house or late to a house that was wastefully been heated for hours when no one was home (this is where potential energy savings come in). Smart thermostats eliminate that issue and ensure you always come home to a nice warm home without being too wasteful about it.

So from that perspective, you could look at it as separate from new rads, insulation, etc. and you could benefit from the convenience of a smart thermostat while you wait to get the money together to do the bigger jobs, which you absolutely should do too.

However having said that you should look into the SEAI grants, they have fantastic grants that can pay towards upgrading heating controls, insulation, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

It will actually replace the programmer. Nest and other smart Thermostats are actually both Theromostat and programmer in one. The old concept of separate programmers and thermostats goes away with them.

https://nest.com/ie/support/article/Learn-more-about-the-3rd-generation-Nest-Thermostat-s-domestic-hot-water-control

I couldn't reconcile how it worked in my head last night. Coming from a simple setup with a Netatmo and a manual lever to divert from the radiators to a system with a two channel controller with separate controls for water and heat. But yeah, basically the water only channel seems to just control the valves.

What I am disappointed about is that the Nest isn't battery operated like the Netatmo. Anyone with one know if you plug it out to move to another position does it have much of a boot up time?

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I couldn't reconcile how it worked in my head last night. Coming from a simple setup with a Netatmo and a manual lever to divert from the radiators to a system with a two channel controller with separate controls for water and heat. But yeah, basically the water only channel seems to just control the valves.

What I am disappointed about is that the Nest isn't battery operated like the Netatmo. Anyone with one know if you plug it out to move to another position does it have much of a boot up time?

A minute or two. If you're quick enough it doesn't shut down at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

Just to further on this- i currently have an oil boiler that is operated in the kitchen via a Myson 3 zone kit- programmer and thermostat in the kitchen, and another thermostat in the master bedroom. My understanding is that i would be acquiring two Nest's, taking out the time clock and stat in the kitchen and replacing it with one Nest to heat downstairs, and replacing the stat in the master bedroom with another Nest to heat both upstairs and hot water?

Just a quick moan to say Nest Protect is not in stock by Amazon right now and the cheapest third party seller for the battery one is £103, it was £136 yesterday :eek:

Hopefully Amazon have it back in stock at £89 soon, much rather buy from Amazon, their returns and support are amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Tazium

I was looking forward to the Nest install today. Needed two to provide cover for hot water, zone 1 and zone 2 and had it organised with Electric Ireland. installer arrived and wanted to put the thermostats on stands which I understand is more flexible but I wanted downstairs one to replace the wall thermostat. Anyways, the installer couldn't do it. For reasons explained as not being able to identify the valves in use he couldn't proceed and needs to call out a gas installer to progress.

If I wanted to have the Nests on stands the job could have been completed. This is a new build house and I'm surprised that the installer couldn't do it. Now I'm back to the original system and the nests have been taken away while I wait on a future date to have it attempted again.

Anyone else have similar issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Tazium wrote: »
    I was looking forward to the Nest install today. Needed two to provide cover for hot water, zone 1 and zone 2 and had it organised with Electric Ireland. installer arrived and wanted to put the thermostats on stands which I understand is more flexible but I wanted downstairs one to replace the wall thermostat. Anyways, the installer couldn't do it. For reasons explained as not being able to identify the valves in use he couldn't proceed and needs to call out a gas installer to progress.

If I wanted to have the Nests on stands the job could have been completed. This is a new build house and I'm surprised that the installer couldn't do it. Now I'm back to the original system and the nests have been taken away while I wait on a future date to have it attempted again.

Anyone else have similar issues?

If he couldn't identify the valves, could he not just have activated each one to see which was which?

• Advertisement

What qualifications do the installers have? Are they not RGI registered?

Advertisement