Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Nest - Electric Ireland Offer

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

17larsson wrote: »
    If your system isn't plumbed for two zones then a second nest would be no use to you unfortunately

He could probably add a zone easy enough though?

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭17larsson

He could probably add a zone easy enough though?

I'm not a plumber so maybe it is straightforward to split zones?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Folks, would anyone know this? I believe the nest can show you reports etc of usage, would it also track the hot water usage from a combi boiler by any chance? If you wanted to see when the most hot water was used and estimate electricity that a person in the house who has their shower at say 4pm every day uses, is there any way to do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Caillte

cormie wrote: »
    Folks, would anyone know this? I believe the nest can show you reports etc of usage, would it also track the hot water usage from a combi boiler by any chance? If you wanted to see when the most hot water was used and estimate electricity that a person in the house who has their shower at say 4pm every day uses, is there any way to do this?

The nest reports are very basic. It'll only show you how long the boiler was firing for during the entire day in hours. e.g. 2.5 hours, 4 hours etc. You can go into history on your app to see when during the day it was firing but only goes back 10 days. I think what might suit you better is a Smappee energy monitor. Great piece of kit that i'd love to own.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭gfog

Hi all, wealth of knowledge in this thread so please excuse the basic query.
    For a new build, large open plan downstairs, 3 bedrooms first floor and master on the 2nd floor. With the below description of heating would you expect I would need to get to have the whole house running on a Nest system. One Nest for each floor to control the temp and the hot water?

"[font=oscine, Arial, sans-serif]Highly efficient A-Rated condensing boilers from Vokera provide heat to zoned areas in the houses which are thermostatically controlled independently of each other[/font]"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Tazium

Each Nest can support one heating zone plus hot water.  You've likely got two zones (same house design and boiler as mine).  One nest downstairs to control heating and hot water.  One nest upstairs (1st floor) to control heating on floors 1 and 2.

Perfect Taz, cheers for that.

gfog wrote: »
    Hi all, wealth of knowledge in this thread so please excuse the basic query.
    For a new build, large open plan downstairs, 3 bedrooms first floor and master on the 2nd floor. With the below description of heating would you expect I would need to get to have the whole house running on a Nest system. One Nest for each floor to control the temp and the hot water?

"[font=oscine, Arial, sans-serif]Highly efficient A-Rated condensing boilers from Vokera provide heat to zoned areas in the houses which are thermostatically controlled independently of each other[/font]"

I think you should go for tado and use their TRVs too. You'll have complete house control that way. I only have the TRVs and swear by them.

haven't heard of them yet, will check them out.

Nest 3rd gen for £135 on amazon today, only lets you order one unfortunately. still a good saving.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

gfog wrote: »
    Nest 3rd gen for £135 on amazon today, only lets you order one unfortunately. still a good saving.

Create multiple amazon accounts. You just need different email addresses.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,115 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I'm strongly considering taking Electric Ireland up on this offer.

https://www.electricireland.ie/residential/products/smarter-living/nest-thermostat

I've detailed our system before in other threads but the general gist is as follows

Stove heats water and rads.
    Solars heat water.
    OFCH heats water and rads.

The radiators are on two zones, upstairs and downstairs with a manual switch to activate the upstairs zone.

The main use for the Nest would be for the ease of use and the ability to have it automatically have the heating come on in the mornings a few minutes before we get up and have the house warm for when herself gets in from work (she can light the stove for my homecoming :pac:)

The Nest would replace our current control panel, a Sunvic 307 XLS.

What are the people of Boards thoughts on this?

Looks like a great offer but you'll end up paying for the thing anyway plus electric ireland has their prices rising in Feb by 4%. I took this nest offer almost 18 months ago and love the nest but I've mixed it with tado TRVs and I could not recommend tado more. If you could go with a tado full system they you'll have complete control over your heating requirements.
    emmetkenny wrote: »

https://www.electricireland.ie/residential/products/smarter-living/nest-thermostat

I've detailed our system before in other threads but the general gist is as follows

Solars heat water.

The radiators are on two zones, upstairs and downstairs with a manual switch to activate the upstairs zone.

The main use for the Nest would be for the ease of use and the ability to have it automatically have the heating come on in the mornings a few minutes before we get up and have the house warm for when herself gets in from work (she can light the stove for my homecoming :pac:)

Caillte wrote: »
    Looks like a great offer but you'll end up paying for the thing anyway plus electric ireland has their prices rising in Feb by 4%. I took this nest offer almost 18 months ago and love the nest but I've mixed it with tado TRVs and I could not recommend tado more. If you could go with a tado full system they you'll have complete control over your heating requirements.

We have TRVs on all the radiators already but the Tado may be something we consider in the future.

We were thinking of switching provider but we don't use that much electricity anyway so switching won't save us much (especially not the cost difference of the Best)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,979 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Tado any monthly fees?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

Solars heat water.

I reckon I’ll be doing the same

ibFoxer wrote: »
    I reckon I’ll be doing the same

Not sure if I'd need two units though for when I've upstairs and downstairs radiators on?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

Not sure if I'd need two units though for when I've upstairs and downstairs radiators on?

My understanding is that you have a typical setup which is upstairs, downstairs and hot water, then you need two Nests; one each for the two zones and one of them will cover the hot water. I believe there will be heatsinks needed too, i don't know if they come with it.

ibFoxer wrote: »
    My understanding is that you have a typical setup which is upstairs, downstairs and hot water, then you need two Nests; one each for the two zones and one of them will cover the hot water. I believe there will be heatsinks needed too, i don't know if they come with it.

That's what I was thinking. I'll give the uncle who upgraded our heating system a shout and see what he says.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Solars heat water.

All the providers are upping their prices

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    Tado any monthly fees?

No monthly fees with tado. Once off payments. You can rent from them too. The thermostat is cheaper than nest but when you start adding in their TRVs it can get expensive but you'll have a fully zoned house. I now have 6 of their TRVs (small house) and can control each room separately and see what the temperature and humidity is for each room from the phone.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Could you use Tado + the TVR's to create a sort of virtual multizone?

A family member has a typical two floor Irish home. But only one zone (+ hot water). She is always complaining that it is too hot in the bedrooms upstairs. I was thinking she could get a Tado Thermostat downstairs to control the boiler and the smart TVR's for just upstairs in order to create a virtual second upstairs zone.

Do you think that would work? I assume she wouldn't also need the smart TVR's for downstairs for now.

BTW do you find the TVR's noisy? I've seen some reviews complain about that.

Thanks

bk wrote: »
    Could you use Tado + the TVR's to create a sort of virtual multizone?

A family member has a typical two floor Irish home. But only one zone (+ hot water). She is always complaining that it is too hot in the bedrooms upstairs. I was thinking she could get a Tado Thermostat downstairs to control the boiler and the smart TVR's for just upstairs in order to create a virtual second upstairs zone.

Do you think that would work? I assume she wouldn't also need the smart TVR's for downstairs for now.

BTW do you find the TVR's noisy? I've seen some reviews complain about that.

Thanks

Yes you can group the individual TRVs to create zones or 1 trv is a single zone. i.e. one heater in one room would be a zone. 2 heaters in a room can be set as a zone. Multiple heaters can be set as a zone. Very flexible.

TRVs are not noisy. You can hear the whiring but its fairly quiet. Its at its noisiest when going from fully open to fully closed but when on automatic it has three settings and when it moves between the three setting (High, medium low) high to medium and medium to low its very hard to hear the transition between them. Literally split second movements.

So if you have the thermostat that can be set as a zone down stairs and the trv can be set as a zone upstairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Hi all, apologies I know this is a very old thread but I think it's better to post here rather than the Nest Electric Ireland thread in Bargain Alerts and the search function is absolutely useless so I can't see any newer threads.

Had KN Circet out today to install a Nest thermostat but he refused to do anything. I have a 2 zone system with separate water controls. House is a newer build with Heatmiser thermostats with Vokera boiler. He didn't want to install the Heat Link in the existing wiring in the hot press and wouldn't be replacing the wall thermostat with the Nest and would leave it wireless/plugged into the wall.

The woman on the phone asked how many zones I had and it didn't seem like there was an issue. He mentioned he left someone's property yesterday without doing anything for the same reason. You'd think they'd ask a few more questions before wasting people's time?

He was saying I'd need to get an electrician out to run some cable from the original wiring to a junction box so he could plug the Heat Link into that. Said something about people saying their valves were breaking or something, sounds like nonsense.

Basically seems they don't want to touch any modern systems due to liability and will only add Nest to old style clock systems.

It doesn't sound like the Nest is difficult to install for someone who knows what they're doing. If I was to get an electrician out, what would I even need? From the sounds of things you can't even just get the Nest off them and do it yourself, it must be done by them.

Advertisement