Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

jealous dog

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 346 ✭✭now online

Sorry for delay in updating, busy few days

Anyway a very brief update.He witnessed some of her behavior and advised me ignore bad behavior i.e when she's barking mad when she sees the leads sit down and give her no attention, when she stops put the lead on. Don't leave their food out all the time (done for the yorkie he's a nibbler) food goes down they eat if they don't take it up and put it down a half an hour later.

All attention is attention so if I'm giving out to her its still giving her attention. Dogs can't understand English .

If they want to come up on the couch it's by invitation, same rules for both.

Praise good behavior, they have to earn treats. All common sense, I think he's training me actually! She has to learn her place. Rubbing the yorkie when he shakes with nerves if she growls is not the right thing to do, it's like rewarding him for being nervous.

Be consistent,there's no point in putting these pointers into practice if I don't do it all the time.

He was here for nearly 2 hours and for the most part Milly was on her best behavior! He checked in with me Friday morning to see how we got on going out for a walk, it was delayed putting his advice into practice but dammit it worked.

My yorkie is such an easy dog and just slotted in to our lives so easily, Milly as much as I love her changed everything!

The dog trainer is keeping in touch and we'll do as many sessions as needed but at least now we're on the right track.

Thanks to everyone for all your words of wisdom and for the interesting debates!

( So much for a brief update! )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭muddypaws

now online wrote: »
    Sorry for delay in updating, busy few days

Anyway a very brief update.He witnessed some of her behavior and advised me ignore bad behavior i.e when she's barking mad when she sees the leads sit down and give her no attention, when she stops put the lead on. Don't leave their food out all the time (done for the yorkie he's a nibbler) food goes down they eat if they don't take it up and put it down a half an hour later.

All attention is attention so if I'm giving out to her its still giving her attention. Dogs can't understand English .

If they want to come up on the couch it's by invitation, same rules for both.

Praise good behavior, they have to earn treats. All common sense, I think he's training me actually! She has to learn her place. Rubbing the yorkie when he shakes with nerves if she growls is not the right thing to do, it's like rewarding him for being nervous.

Be consistent,there's no point in putting these pointers into practice if I don't do it all the time.

He was here for nearly 2 hours and for the most part Milly was on her best behavior! He checked in with me Friday morning to see how we got on going out for a walk, it was delayed putting his advice into practice but dammit it worked.

My yorkie is such an easy dog and just slotted in to our lives so easily, Milly as much as I love her changed everything!

The dog trainer is keeping in touch and we'll do as many sessions as needed but at least now we're on the right track.

Thanks to everyone for all your words of wisdom and for the interesting debates!

( So much for a brief update! )

That all sounds great, but I would probably disagree with the yorkie. You can't reinforce fear, so you aren't praising him for being worried you are comforting him, which he probably appreciates. http://www.patriciamcconnell.com/theotherendoftheleash/you-cant-reinforce-fear-dogs-and-thunderstorms

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

The old adage of "a tired dog is a happy dog" comes to mind. Are you sure she's getting enough exercise and brain-games? Her needs in that area will be much higher than those of a senior Yorkie. Even daycare a couple of days a week or agility might be options to give them some space for each other.

I'd be loath to stop reassuring your old man. If he's scared, he needs some tlc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I was going to comment on reassuring the dog too. Lucy isn't phased by much but telling Bailey he's ok when he gets a fright is often all he needs for him to shake it off and forget it rather than dwell on it and get himself into a state. It's certainly not reinforcing him and encouraging him to be afraid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

I'm gonna 4th the three posters above regarding the "reassuring a scared dog" bit, there is absolutely nothing wrong with reassuring a dog who's afraid. I doubly think it's important to acknowledge what a dog is afraid of in the first place and try to ease the situation.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 346 ✭✭now online

I agree with you all about comfortin my old man, I honestly don't think I'll change that. He's a dog that needs cuddles and reassureance.

Milly couldn't care less if she was walked or not but she still is. She has no interest in toys except to bring them out to the garden and let them there!

The trainer said I might need to walk them separately for a while and I'm thinking I might take milly a bit further into the woods.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

My spaniel shows signs of these behaviours too, but as said above it is just resource guarding. If he looks at any of her puzzles or treats she will snarl like she is possessed and he cowers away even though he is twice her size, but when he flips out at other dogs she runs for the hills. She was so bad that he will not eat from her puzzles even though he is the most food driven dog I know. I spent 15 mins coaxing him to eat from it one time in another room but just as he started to do it, he heard her nails clicking on the floor in the room next door and stopped. She was 100 times worse before we got him. They drink from the same portable bowl at the same time and generally allow other dogs to come near me now. We still live in hope that one day they will curl up together.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

now online wrote:
    I agree with you all about comfortin my old man, I honestly don't think I'll change that. He's a dog that needs cuddles and reassureance.

Are we talking about a child or a dog here?! Do you think the mother(bitch) would give him cuddles?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭kathleen37

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    Are we talking about a child or a dog here?! Do you think the mother(bitch) would give him cuddles?

A cuddle gives physical comfort and of course dogs give that to each other.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I'm going to close this thread for now, op if you want to update it at some stage, drop me or one of the other mods a line :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement