Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Choosing an electronic toothbrush/flosser

• 29-11-2016 9:24pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey everyone,

Thanks in advance for reading this. The OH and I after a few years of choosing not to take care of our teeth are now starting to do so. We are taking out dental insurance, planning on giving up smoking, and looking at the best options for day to day dental care.

For the past year, I've been using a fairly basic OralB electronic toothbrush which has the same head as a regular toothbrush, and a sonicare flosser as I find floss hard to use. My dentist has recommended interdental brushes also.

As it's coming up to Christmas, we are looking at upgrading our toothbrushes, and taking a look on boots.ie, it seems they have some fantastic offers on more high end electronic brushes.

Looking at the low end side there is

http://www.boots.ie/en/Oral-B-Vitality-Plus-CrossAction-Electric-Toothbrush_1713961/

which helps brush your teeth.

At the higher end and on special offer is this

http://www.boots.ie/en/Oral-B-GENIUS-9000-White-Electric-Toothbrush-Powered-by-Braun_1856186/

which tells you how to brush your teeth and appears to be hugely discounted.

Is it worth spending the money and getting the more high end model? It does include extra brush heads which I struggled to find for my current basic model so that saving has to be factored in.

I've no problem paying for the higher end model, but guess I'm cynical as to why it's so heavily discounted if it's so much better.

Also in relation to flossers, I've a sonicare flosser at the moment which I really like, it's http://www.boots.ie/en/Philips-Sonicare-AirFloss-HX8212-02-Rechargeable-Power-Flosser_1870268/

Is there a better one than this, or would this combined with interdental brushes be sufficient?

Many thanks for any replies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭larchill

I believe Dyson have a super duper toothbrush on the way shortly. Probably not in time for Christmas though!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I read up on this and am going to get one for both of us :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,482 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You will be paying a big premium for Dyson, the name alone will add quite a lot to the price and there will be a lot of dubious claims about innovations using technical mumbo jumbo - when I see their TV ads. talking about vacuum cleaners with 'digital' motors, I grit my teeth. If I was you, I'd buy the Oral-B 600 which is a basic electric toothbrush, it gives an audible signal every 30 seconds so you know when to move on to the next quadrant, I can't see any benefit in paying more for any of the premium models. For flossing/interdental I'd use the Tepe brushes. My dentists says he only needs to see me once a year and that I don't need to floss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

I'm no professional but I think with toothbrushes look for higher / faster movements.
    With flossing Waterpik references research that claims Waterpiks are better than flossing...

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Maria0680

Do you know some good waterflosser for my teeth? And should I visit to the dentist for waterflosser which is perfect for my teeth!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,505 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

If you are looking for a waterflosser get a Waterpik. The Philips brand that are sold in Boots are terrible. I had two of them break in less than 6 months so I ended up getting a refund and buying a waterpik.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Maria0680

thanks for this pick. help me in choosing the good model of waterpik waterflosser.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Brown6

Yes, absolutely right. waterpik waterflosser is good option.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Brown6

As, I like to travel so I picked traveler waterflosser from waterpik. Would you recommend the same product? or Suggest me if you ever used waterpik waterflosser.

Advertisement