Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should my wages be taken off me?

Options
  • 29-11-2016 9:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Damien360

Hi everyone, basically i work in a small shop and throughout the day i have to drop money into a safe when the till has a lot in it. Last week i did a drop as usual but that night my boss rang me saying i wrote down that i dropped €650 but there was only €300 in the bag. Our monitor for checking the cameras isnt working so we have no proof that i have done anything wrong yet! Hopefully the monitor will be fixed some time this week! Today my boss told me that he took €30 out of my wages and this may happen for the next few weeks. Can anyone tell me the law on not being paid properly and if theres anything about money been taken off me for mistakes etc? I dont think its fair since we dont know that i definitely made the mistake!
    Anyone have any info? Thanks!

You are being accused of stealing !

He shouldn't touch your wages but give you a warning if he has proof. Then he can take agreed action. You didn't agree so not allowed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Clampdown

No they can not. It is illegal. They can discipline you, including firing you, but they cannot take your wages. And do not agree to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Has he actually balanced the cash to see if any money is missing?

That should be the first step and the you can discuss whether or not the "missing" money needs to be paid back.

Without establishing if any money is missing then I seriously doubt he can dock your wages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

No this is totally illegal. You can bring your employer to the Workplace Relations Comission/Labour Court on the basis he is making unauthorised deductions from your wages.
    He is also accusing yu of stealing without any evidence. Not your fault cameras don't work.
    I would ask for recompense of your deducted wages & an apology for the accusation of theft without any evidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 SiobhanPedro

Thanks everyone! Yes the money is definitely missing! So what they're thinking is that i left it down on the counter or something and someone has robbed it. But we still dont know! Im so annoyed! Im going to talk to him tomorrow i just wasnt sure if he is allowed to dock me or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

While im here and we're talking about work can anyone explain to me what part time workers are entitled to in regards to holiday pay? I dont get any!! And ive been told only full time workers get holiday pay! Im only young and this is my first job so i havent a clue about all of this! I work between 30 - 35 hours a week

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

While im here and we're talking about work can anyone explain to me what part time workers are entitled to in regards to holiday pay? I dont get any!! And ive been told only full time workers get holiday pay! Im only young and this is my first job so i havent a clue about all of this! I work between 30 - 35 hours a week

You really need to find another job if possible. This employer sounds very unscrupulous. You are of course entitled to holiday pay. 20 days annual plus public holidays which is 8 days I think .

Just be aware that an employer doesn't need any excuse to fire you if you are there less than a year. It sounds like you should look for a new job.

• Advertisement

Just be aware that an employer doesn't need any excuse to fire you if you are there less than a year. It sounds like you should look for a new job.

Ive actually been there 6 years but this is my first year as a "full time" worker, i used to just do weekends when i was in school!

Going back to my retail days of as a student, open the safe and reach around every nook and cranny, especially if its a ground safe- it was a common enough reason why money went missing- because it's already in the safe- just in a different part of the safe.

If you believe you put 650 in there, you probably did.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,743 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

You are of course entitled to holiday pay. 20 days annual plus public holidays which is 8 days I think .

That's for full-time workers. Part-time workers don't get the full entitlement.

OP, may I ask what you think happened to the missing money? You seem remarkably unconcerned about the fact that €260 went missing on your watch, just because you know you didn't steal it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Dial Hard wrote: »

OP, may I ask what you think happened to the missing money? You seem remarkably unconcerned about the fact that €260 went missing on your watch, just because you know you didn't steal it.

Why the hell would someone speculate as to what could have happened at any time between the money being deposited and the employer claiming it was short?

A lot of things can happen, including an employer who lies

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

Dial Hard wrote:

Part time workers are entitled to 20 days leave and public holidays. If you work 20 hours a week made up of 4 five hour shifts you get 20 of these shifts off as annual leave . Taking a weeks holidays would be taking 20 hours leave and getting paid for them .

I honestly dont know! I just want to check the cameras before money gets taken off me! Then it can be decided between me and my boss what to do! To be honest this is the one week i'd rather not have €30 taken off me :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭BabySlam

What do you think your position is, having researched the information freely online?

At 30-35 hours per week the employee would be entitled to 4 weeks holiday (more than 117 hrs/month)

I'm guess though and open to correction that the weekly holiday pay would be based on the average amount of hours worked.

Bambi wrote:
    Why the hell would someone speculate as to what could have happened at any time between the money being deposited and the employer claiming it was short?

A lot of things can happen, including an employer who lies

Exactly, and if it was me I'd be wracking my brains trying to figure out which of those many things was the most likely in case I was landed in a gross misconduct hearing over it.

At no point did I infer that the OP did anything wrong. I'm just surprised at how sanguine they are about the whole situation.

Exactly, and if it was me I'd be wracking my brains trying to figure out which of those many things was the most likely in case I was landed in a gross misconduct hearing over it.

At no point did I infer that the OP did anything wrong. I'm just surprised at how sanguine they are about the whole situation.

Well i have been wracking my brain and i can't think of anything. What's better proof than actual video footage of what happened so i'm just waiting for that. How do you know that im so 'sanguine' .

• Advertisement

How do you know that im so 'sanguine' .

This post doesn't exactly read as if you're worried sick. But I accept that text lacks tone and perhaps I'm taking it up wrong.
    Thanks everyone! Yes the money is definitely missing! So what they're thinking is that i left it down on the counter or something and someone has robbed it. But we still dont know! Im so annoyed! Im going to talk to him tomorrow i just wasnt sure if he is allowed to dock me or not.

Anyway, I hope you get sorted OP. My own posts seem to be coming across in an accusatory manner and that wasn't my intention either. All I was saying is that you should be thinking about what you're going to say should you be called to explain your version of events.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 teddy 1223

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Well i have been wracking my brain and i can't think of anything. What's better proof than actual video footage of what happened so i'm just waiting for that. How do you know that im so 'sanguine' .

If the cameras weren't working how are you going to get the footage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

pilly wrote: »
    If the cameras weren't working how are you going to get the footage?

That's not her problem, it is for her manager to investigate not the employee.

I've worked in a bank and people often make mistakes on how much was put into the safe/vault. if the figures didnt tally then we would do a re-count of the vault and any other cash until we found the difference.

If we couldn't find the difference we would follow the disciplinary process but we wouldn't dock wages to cover the shortfall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

Well OP, did you get it sorted?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

amcalester wrote: »
    That's not her problem, it is for her manager to investigate not the employee.

I've worked in a bank and people often make mistakes on how much was put into the safe/vault. if the figures didnt tally then we would do a re-count of the vault and any other cash until we found the difference.

If we couldn't find the difference we would follow the disciplinary process but we wouldn't dock wages to cover the shortfall.

I didn't mean it was OP's problem. It was a genuine question.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

Part Time workers are Entitled to 1/8 of all hours worked as holiday Pay

• Registered Users Posts: 25,970 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

newman10 wrote: »
    Part Time workers are Entitled to 1/8 of all hours worked as holiday Pay

No, it's 8%, which is quite a bit less than 1/8 th (which is 12.6%).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

We need to back up a bit here.

The Op did a safedrop, they said that that they took €650 out of the till and put it into the bag. When it was being checked there was only €300 in it.

Now the employer cant deduct it from the wages without permission.

The Op can allow it to be deducted or can refuse, if they refuse and threaten him and demand an apology it could all turn nasty with the guards being called and a criminal investigation taking place.

Op I would sit down and chat to your employer and see what you can work out, If its your fault that the money has gone missing then I think that its reasonable that you replace it, if you believe that its not your fault then you can fight your corner.

Softly softly at first then you can go hard if you want, hard to do it the other way around.

• Advertisement
Advertisement