Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Regret

Options
  • 29-11-2016 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭

I regret not buying a house that came up. I rang to request to view it on a Thursday. They said today is the last viewing. I said I am at the other side of the country and can I view it tomorrow instead, could you please accommodate me, they said no. It would have been perfect, very good price. I recognise that It is my fault that I should have jumped. Now, one month later, prices seem to be going up rapidly and I feel I have missed out. I didn't recognise it for how good it was at the time, I only see that now, as I have been pounding the pavements for the last 6 weeks and I am learning what I want, what is value, what are my deal breakers, how to jump, how to bid. I wish I could go back in time. Has any one ever been in this situation and please tell me your story and reassure me. Please be kind, I do not want some political argument over house prices.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

Really I don't think there are many great deals at the moment, there are houses listed for cheap which is to drag in interest, they always go for more than asking and then there are houses priced speculatively high to see what they can get, you will often see these reduced.

If they refused to show again, they had offers on it already and were doing one last round to put pressure on the current bidders.

Keep looking, all you can do!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

That's the game I'm afraid. I regret not buying 2 or 3 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Well as long as you learn from it. There will be a new crop of houses on the market in Spring. You will have a little more saved up. You will be more certain of what you are looking for. But you do need to be pretty aggressive to get a house. (This is not advice about what you should do or what you should buy. I am just saying that with supply tight you won't get a house without being aggressive.)

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭currants

Wesser wrote: »
    I regret not buying a house that came up. I rang to request to view it on a Thursday. They said today is the last viewing. I said I am at the other side of the country and can I view it tomorrow instead, could you please accommodate me, they said no. It would have been perfect, very good price. I recognise that It is my fault that I should have jumped. Now, one month later, prices seem to be going up rapidly and I feel I have missed out. I didn't recognise it for how good it was at the time, I only see that now, as I have been pounding the pavements for the last 6 weeks and I am learning what I want, what is value, what are my deal breakers, how to jump, how to bid. I wish I could go back in time. Has any one ever been in this situation and please tell me your story and reassure me. Please be kind, I do not want some political argument over house prices.

My advice is to never buy so much as a winter coat when the agent puts you under that type of pressure, never mind a house. You were wise not to have jumped, you've no idea how good the house is, it could be a lemon, it might not be but buying a house with one day's notice to view it and no leeway from the EA is never a good idea. You will find another house and look on this as part of a learning curve.
    If you had agreed to travel on that day after very reasonably requesting a days grace the EA would have had you down for sucker and turned the screws pricewise. You would have been more keen to "win" the house after investing in the trouble of travelling to view it at short notice. Read up on the psychology salesmen use to close a deal. Know the market well in your areas, use the Property register to gauge it. You are then in a position to move fast if you see something you like at a price you believe is good value. You dodged a bullet imo.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2002/jul/07/firsttimebuyers.property

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

You never even got involved in the bidding process, so you can't have any regrets.
    It may have gone for way more than you expected, or there could have been issues with it.

I reckon we all have some regrets when it comes to looking for houses. But hopefully when you eventually have your own house, you'll be glad you skipped this one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

I had regrets like this at the start of our house hunt, then I became numb to it. Houses are just a pile of bricks - don't let yourself get sentimental about them.

Like another poster said - that's the nature of the game of house hunting. Just move on,.

Advertisement