Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second degree after level 8 in a "similar" field.

• 29-11-2016 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Evening ladies and gents.

Ill be graduating with a level 8 hons degree in pharmaceutical science soon enough, at an early age of 21.
    Considering I was made to make a choice of what I wish to dedicate my life to for 4 years, at an age of 17, I dont think Ive made a very smart choice at all. After all, this was my option 10 on the CAO.

Now, my question is as follow; I have 2 other degrees I would much prefer than the one I have already, and I know having a first level 8, accounts for something right?

First degree is in nursing - Now ive looked everywhere, and all I can find is full time courses where you must either be 23y/o or, go through the CAO process, for which I do not have enough points.

If I were to apply for such course, say at 23, would I be entitled to some sort of "exemption" due to having a previous level 8 in similar field and having medical background?

Second degree is the complete opposite, and excuse me for the misleading title of this thread. I would be very much interested in doing computing.

So the question is, I guess, is there any aid in doing a second course after achieving a primary level 8 in a similar, or completely different field? If so, what are they?

Thanks for reading!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Vladpills wrote: »
    Second degree is the complete opposite, and excuse me for the misleading title of this thread. I would be very much interested in doing computing.

Have a look at the Post-grad diploma in computing. These are for people like yourselves - whose primary degree is not in computing/IT. They are only a year long, and in a lot of cases, are Springboard funded so you may not have to pay any fees (though the fees have qualifying criteria of which I have no idea).
    Vladpills wrote: »
    So the question is, I guess, is there any aid in doing a second course after achieving a primary level 8 in a similar, or completely different field? If so, what are they?

There is merit in doing a post-grad qualification in a different area, but I'm not so sure about doing another degree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭SouthernBelle

If you do a second (undergrad) degree, you will be liable to pay full tuition fees, as well as the student contribution fee, because the free fees initiative is only valid for one degree. Also, it is unlikely that you'd get funding from SUSI if you availed of it for your first degree.

Advertisement