Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very dodgy Pay/Taxation

Options
  • 29-11-2016 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Was in a job for about 2 months. During this time I was paid cash in hand. Twice I got a handwritten payslip (out of like 7 pay-envelopes) on a post it note which had scribbled down obviously incorrect deductions. It claimed tax was being paid/deducted (even if it was on those weeks - what about the other weeks?) I was paid 39 hours as standard even on occasions where I had worked more, despite the fact that an hourly rate of pay was agreed. I was unhappy in the job due to quite obvious bullying - I was assured this would be taken care of and was told the other person would be let go. Instead, 3 weeks later I was let go due to me not being enthusiastic enough. I was told to leave in the middle of my shift. I am owed for around 10 hours of work and haven't heard from them since.

I'm fairly sure I was never registered in any capacity for tax and they were just pretending that I was paying it.

What do I do about :
    1. Money owed
    2. Tax problems.
    3. Any other obvious grievance which I might have.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

1: get onto citizen info about
    2: its your job to register for tax credit etc, 
    3: suck it up or make an official complaint. 2 months wont be taken as unfair dismissals etc so you cant really do much im afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,970 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Citizen's Information is the place to start re the pay that's owning to you : they may be willing to phone the employer and phrase things in a way to encourage them to pay you.

Tax is a bit more complicated.

Your employer has most likely broken the law by failing to operate the PAYE system correctly. Even more scum-ishly, they have likely deducted tax from you and not paid this over to Revenue, and not paid any PRSI stamps for you either.

Now, there is a risk for you if you report them: Revenue may see you as still liable to pay the tax which should have been paid. Is your total income for the year likely to be more than 15,000 ish? If not, then there won't be any tax owing, so you can safely enough go into Revenue and report the employer and clear up your situation. But if you will have earned more than this, you may want to think twice about saying anything.

Just to be clear, you are legally required to pay report all income to Revenue. So legally you should tell them. But there is a reason why there's a temptation not to.

Advertisement