Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non-brittle 1 gang blank plate alternative

Options
  • 29-11-2016 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hello,

I am looking for a 1 gang blank plate that is possible to be drilled into. The most common blank plate is made of a plastic that just cracks when its drilled into.

Does anyone know of a type of blanking plate that I can drill into. I need to drill 2 holes to fit a PIR sensor and a LDR sensor.

1-gang-blank-plate-96-800x500.jpg

Any help is appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭crasy dash

You can get pir occupancy sensors that can be mounted direct to the single back box.

Do you have to mount both pir and ldr on the one plate?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 James1402

crasy dash wrote: »
    You can get pir occupancy sensors that can be mounted direct to the single back box.

Do you have to mount both pir and ldr on the one plate?

Yes its a custom circuit board I've made. Ive made something similar in the past (picture below) but this time around I want to mount the PIR and LDR sensor on a blank plate to try make it more professional looking.

IMG_0603.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

would the metal clad ones fit .
    you could spray it white

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

Do you mean bake lite ones OP?

A very sharp 8mm steel bit on a flat soft board always works for me. Slow speed at the end of drilling.

Never drilled a plastic one (or seen them tbh)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Did it crack from.the pressure of the drill bit? I have fitted VGA sockets into them, not easy but is do-able.

You would probably want to start with a small drill bit and gradually drill bigger, and make sure the back side is directly supported rather than drilling down onto the top of plate with no direct support at the back. Or drill through the front with small drill bit, then lay blank face down onto wood and drill bigger from the back.

• Advertisement

Bruthal wrote:
    Did it crack from.the pressure of the drill bit? I have fitted VGA sockets into them, not easy but is do-able.

Literally just the weight of drill. (Milwaukee 18V Li-Ion) Have cracked them too but only if bit is blunt and burning more than cutting. Usually a small chip on the far side where the bit comes through but covered up with fixing of hexnut to F connector.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

those steped bits are great for this.

Do you mean bake lite ones OP?

A very sharp 8mm steel bit on a flat soft board always works for me. Slow speed at the end of drilling.

Never drilled a plastic one (or seen them tbh)

I believe it is a type of moulded plastic. Ive looked online to try find out what type of plastic it is bit I cannot find anything.

http://www.lenehans.ie/1gang-blank-plate.html
    http://www.electricalwholesaler.ie/Products/1-Gang-Blank-Plate-White-Clipsal__CLE31XWE.aspx
    Bruthal wrote: »

You would probably want to start with a small drill bit and gradually drill bigger, and make sure the back side is directly supported rather than drilling down onto the top of plate with no direct support at the back. Or drill through the front with small drill bit, then lay blank face down onto wood and drill bigger from the back.
    Literally just the weight of drill. (Milwaukee 18V Li-Ion) Have cracked them too but only if bit is blunt and burning more than cutting. Usually a small chip on the far side where the bit comes through but covered up with fixing of hexnut to F connector.

Ive placed a piece of wood that fits inside the plate to support it from the back. The main problem I have is that the plastic keeps chipping or cracking when I drill into it, even with only using the pressure from the drill itself.

The plastic reminds me of porcelain, its a horrible material.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

A dremel cuts them easy enough. Keeping the holes neat is the tricky bit. PVC blank plates can be got too which are easy to drill, although I've only seen the flat profile types myself.

Bruthal wrote: »
    A dremel cuts them easy enough. Keeping the holes neat is the tricky bit. PVC blank plates can be got too which are easy to drill, although I've only seen the flat profile types myself.

Do you know of anywhere in Dublin that sells PVC blank plates?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Tuco88

How about metal clad blank plate?

Tuco88 wrote:
    How about metal clad blank plate?

Would make for a nicer finish alright but would it fit in with the surroundings?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Tuco88

Would make for a nicer finish alright but would it fit in with the surroundings?

If you surrounding points are white, why not give it a light sand to key it and spray paint it white/gloss.

The mk blank plates are very tough to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Dr. Dre wrote:
    Any fellow Irish users of this device?

Dues the OP not just want a cheap plastic surface ko box, the ones that wholesalers have that you can hold and twist in your hand and you can bash out the 20mm holes with a screwdriver, or else get a non ko one and drill it out where ever you need. The boxes to match plastic round conduit.

Explaining same to a wholesaler is all you need to do

Advertisement