Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Google Home FAQ

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭ForestFire

skerry wrote: »
    That's great and all, but how does it help me get multiuser set up on my Google Home?

That depends, is it a younger more attractive woman your adding or an elderly bitter woman.:o

It does raise some interesting questions though:-

Who is younger, Google home or alexa?
    If you put them both in the same room will they be jealous of each other?:confused:

Any thoughts on this? I don't remember seeing the Irish launch:rolleyes:

http://www.littlewoodsireland.ie/google-home-smart-speaker/1600201505.prd?_requestid=180511&Ntt=google%20home&Ntt=google%20home

UK Version posted in error?
    It might be worth it if signing up to new credit account and get 20% discount (Paying it off immediately of course)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

ForestFire wrote: »
    Any thoughts on this? I don't remember seeing the Irish launch:rolleyes:

http://www.littlewoodsireland.ie/google-home-smart-speaker/1600201505.prd?_requestid=180511&Ntt=google%20home&Ntt=google%20home

UK Version posted in error?
    It might be worth it if signing up to new credit account and get 20% discount (Paying it off immediately of course)

For 180 euro they have to be joking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

For 180 euro they have to be joking

Was €180.00 Now €179.99

Was €180.00 Now €179.99

Thats right, 1cent off and it's only just gone up, that's some deal:D

But that's why I mention the 20percent discount as that brings it back to same price as uk. But you need a new credit account so does not work for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Bloody annoying how stuff continues to stop working. I know it is new-ish and it will improve. I pretty much use mine for radio, and it will not play RTE 2FM any more. I looked for "RTEed FM but it is not available" or whatever it says. Each of us in the family has tried saying it a number of ways but no luck. Very annoying to have to cast from tunein to just play a radio. We have ended up using the old radio instead. It now has decided that all the hue lights are unavailable. Genius stuff.

I've noticed the same behaviour myself with certain radio stations but I just tried "RTE 2FM" and it worked for me. Last week it wouldn't play Classic FM at all until I discovered I needed to say "play Classic FM UK". This week "play Classic FM" works.

It is a bit bonkers the way it seems to go backwards and forwards. Nowhere near as bad as the Amazon Echo I had though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭jogdish

I have issues whenever I ask it anything with RTE, It never understands me. However just saying "ok google play radio 1" works fine, as does "okay google play 2fm"

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

It is a bit bonkers the way it seems to go backwards and forwards. Nowhere near as bad as the Amazon Echo I had though.

I've both GHome and the Echo and I find Echo worse for this.

However the real cause of this issue is tunein, rather then an issue specific to Ghome/Alexa.

It seems tunein is more like a search engine and it keeps changing over time. It is a pity you can't create a tunein account and create presets, favourites, etc. Would help fix the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭MentalMario

Does anybody here have Sky Sports in their news sources?

I lost it a month ago and can't get it back. Annoying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭opus

bk wrote: »
    It seems tunein is more like a search engine and it keeps changing over time. It is a pity you can't create a tunein account and create presets, favourites, etc. Would help fix the issue.

Tunein does let you create an account and save favourites or do you mean on the Ghome side?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

opus wrote: »
    Tunein does let you create an account and save favourites or do you mean on the Ghome side?

Yes, but not on GHome/Alexa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Netatmo Thermostat just popped up in Linked Services on GHome. Added but not tested it yet. I joined the preview program today, not sure if it's related.

Oh yeah they added support for Xiaomi Yeelights about a week or two ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Soccarboy11

Google Home can now call any number for free.. if your in the US or Canada. Wonder if they will ever roll that out here, unlikely. Possible that US google homes over here might receive it? :p One can hope

Google Home can now call any number for free.. if your in the US or Canada. Wonder if they will ever roll that out here, unlikely. Possible that US google homes over here might receive it? :p One can hope

USA have had Google voice for about 2 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

I have google voice and use it on my android from Ireland to call USA for free. Just tried on my Google Home and it does not work unfortunately!

BailMeOut wrote: »
    I have google voice and use it on my android from Ireland to call USA for free. Just tried on my Google Home and it does not work unfortunately!

Is it set to English USA? I've mine set to USA as there is no Harmony support when set to UK, there are lots of others as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

And does it work? For ringing US numbers free from Ireland?

That'd be fantastic if so. I'd no idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Rumors of a small form factor Google home to be announced later this year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭jogdish

I am unable to connect my wemo smart plug to my google home.

I have sharing enabled on my wemo app. I go into the google home app, add device, tap wemo, it sees me turn on/off the plug I tap yes that is me - the page reloads to a blank page, then nothing. I go back to the google home app, i still see the list of smart device manufactuers, and there is no device listed for my home.

Is there something Im doing wrong?

Well I have taken the plunge and place an order with some good deals:)

Order accepted so hopefully no issues with delivery to address pal

Ordered in the Maplin UK through with Free UK delivery

Google Chromecast

1 £19.00
    Google Home - White and Slate
    Google Home - White and Slate

1 £99.00

Exchange rate very good at the moment also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭moonboy52

Bought a Home from John Lewis UK.

Order went through to PM (hope it is not cancelled)

No home automation at all, but have Paid Google Play Music, 3 Google CC Audio's, Shield TV and a Gen 1 Chromecast, so i'll get some use out of it i hope :)

• Moderators Posts: 12,379 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

moonboy52 wrote: »
    Bought a Home from John Lewis UK.

Order went through to PM (hope it is not cancelled)

No home automation at all, but have Paid Google Play Music, 3 Google CC Audio's, Shield TV and a Gen 1 Chromecast, so i'll get some use out of it i hope :)

Casting to multiple devices (create a group in the home app) is pretty slick

matrim wrote: »
    Rumors of a small form factor Google home to be announced later this year

Is there a reason that they don't allow your phone to be a google home hub?

Would this not make the most sense for bedroom use to control you system with your phone on the bedside locker?

Is there a reason that they don't allow your phone to be a google home hub?

Would this not make the most sense for bedroom use to control you system with your phone on the bedside locker?

What do you mean, Google assistant was on phones before the home was even released

Does Google assist work with Google home? Can I use my phone in bedroom to get Google home to turn lights on? Can assist play music on Google home and any chrome cast audio speakers? Basically can my phone act like an echo dot for home, it has everything needed, mic, speaker, Wi-Fi, etc.

Or do they work independently from each other?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Does Google assist work with Google home? Can I use my phone in bedroom to get Google home to turn lights on? Can assist play music on Google home and any chrome cast audio speakers? Basically can my phone act like an echo dot for home, it has everything needed, mic, speaker, Wi-Fi, etc.

I can ask Google to control my lights and heat from my phone or my google home.

My phone however is not an ideal solution, it is not designed for audio (mic and speakers) to the extent that the home has.

They have most of the same functions in fact when I say ok Google in the same room as the Google home my phone displays answering on another device. I can get the exact same information replies and can control my Hue lights, Harmony remote, Netatmo thermostat, Phlex TV etc all from Google assistant on my phone. The mini Google home that Google are proposing would not have a big speaker either like the dot. So to answer your question a phone is already like a dot

• Advertisement

What do you mean, Google assistant was on phones before the home was even released

Just being pedantic, The Google Assistant that comes with Google Home and the Pixel is very different to the OK Google assistant that came with phones for years.

The GHome assistant is now being rolled out to all phones. But GHome was actually one of the first devices to have it.

Advertisement