Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Google Home FAQ

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Dunno it makes sense to me, remember it's a shared device multiple users and audible by anyone in the room. I don't think I would want it making announcements about reminders.

As well as that, if you had five users in it, the feckin thing wouldn't shut up ever with the amount of reminders she'd be spouting out.

So I was watching tv in the sitting room and my phone is charging in the kitchen. I set a reminder on the GH next to me to turn off the oven in 30 mins and the reminder only goes off on the phone in the kitchen. It also went off on my tablet which was in a drawer in another room. But not on the GH itself which was in the room with me and that I set it on. Seems odd and kinds defeats the purpose a bit to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Ludo wrote: »
    So I was watching tv in the sitting room and my phone is charging in the kitchen. I set a reminder on the GH next to me to turn off the oven in 30 mins and the reminder only goes off on the phone in the kitchen. It also went off on my tablet which was in a drawer in another room. But not on the GH itself which was in the room with me and that I set it on. Seems odd and kinds defeats the purpose a bit to me

Yeah I suppose it's.down to personal preference, I know I don't really.want GH announcing my plans on every or any speaker in the house. It should be an option though

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭setanta1984

Yeah I suppose it's.down to personal preference, I know I don't really.want GH announcing my plans on every or any speaker in the house. It should be an option though

I only got my Google Home last weekend, but I tried the reminders out yesterday.
    Set up the reminder on the GHome, and when the time came, I got notified on my android devices as expected, and the Google Home also chimed saying that I had a new reminder. It asked if I would like to hear it, it did not read out the content of the reminder unless I asked for it to continue. Worked great, don't know why it didn't work for others above.

So at least there is some level of privacy there, I assume if anyone asked to hear the notification it would have read it out anyway, but at least it didn't just shout it out. Or maybe it would have tried to recognise my voice like it does for the multi-user account feature.

Loving the Home over my existing Echo Dot I must say, voice recognition is way better and was worth the upgrade alone to be able to cast music to Chromecast Audios.

Weird...just did it again and yes the GH chimed and I was able to ask it what the reminder is...excellent. Not sure why that didn't happen he other day. Perfect implementation really which suits everyone.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Weird...just did it again and yes the GH chimed and I was able to ask it what the reminder is...excellent. Not sure why that didn't happen he other day. Perfect implementation really which suits everyone.

I suspect not all GHomes had yet received the update, Google seems to slowly rollout updates to users.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭moonboy52

Signing up to the Preview Program for updates might help in receiving timely updates

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭CGI_3

Strange one this. Certain (spotify) songs that the kids were frequently requesting no longer playing on GH. It just says error after about ten seconds and invites us to try again. If I go into the app and 'cast' to the GH, no problem, the track is still there. Weird. It only seems to be the 2 or 3 tracks regularly requested. It's as if it's tired of hearing them.

Also last week, I noticed it wouldn't play the first track in my playlist, it just went straight to the second one. If I tried from the app, it would play in the app. When I tried to cast, it just stayed in 'connecting'.

I moved the track to the middle of another play list. Same thing, skipped it again.

Almost as if the track was unplayable on GH for some reason.

Anyway, as of yesterday, it's back to normal.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

New devices officially announced:

Google Home Mini:

https://www.theverge.com/2017/10/4/16407344/google-home-mini-announced-price-release-date-smart-speaker

$50 a competitor to the Amazon Echo Dot. Looks good, but lacks a 3.5mm audio out port, which IMO is very stupid. So you will also need to buy separate Google Chromecast Audios if you want to make it do the same as the Echo Dot! Missed opportunity IMO.

Google Home Max:

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/10/4/16404380/google-home-max-smart-stereo-speaker-announced-price-release-date

$400 extra loud stereo speakers with assumingly great sound quality. Looks great and I want one, but just too expensive, couldn't justify it, not when you can just use CCA to hook up to better speakers.

I'm a bit disappointed that they didn't update the existing Google Home too. It is a very good device, but it looks awful. It looks like a pot puri. Amazon's update to their Echo look great and look like they would fit well in a persons home. Not so much the GHome, it really needed to be updated to look like the Mini and Max.

Also disappointing that Google has no competitors to the Amazon Echo Show or Spot. They are obvious next steps for this tech.

On the upside they announced some software feature upgrades:
    - Night time mode, is quieter in its responses at night
    - Multi action support. For instance say "Hey Google, goodmorning" and it might turn on the lights, start music, turn on the kettle, ec.
    - Kids accounts
    - Ability to send a message to all GHomes in your house.

So overall some nice announcements from Google, but it really feels like they need to scramble faster to keep up with Amazon.

• Moderators Posts: 12,379 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

bk wrote: »
    New devices officially announced:

Google Home Mini:

https://www.theverge.com/2017/10/4/16407344/google-home-mini-announced-price-release-date-smart-speaker

$50 a competitor to the Amazon Echo Dot. Looks good, but lacks a 3.5mm audio out port, which IMO is very stupid. So you will also need to buy separate Google Chromecast Audios if you want to make it do the same as the Echo Dot! Missed opportunity IMO.

Google Home Max:

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/10/4/16404380/google-home-max-smart-stereo-speaker-announced-price-release-date

$400 extra loud stereo speakers with assumingly great sound quality. Looks great and I want one, but just too expensive, couldn't justify it, not when you can just use CCA to hook up to better speakers.

I'm a bit disappointed that they didn't update the existing Google Home too. It is a very good device, but it looks awful. It looks like a pot puri. Amazon's update to their Echo look great and look like they would fit well in a persons home. Not so much the GHome, it really needed to be updated to look like the Mini and Max.

Also disappointing that Google has no competitors to the Amazon Echo Show or Spot. They are obvious next steps for this tech.

On the upside they announced some software feature upgrades:
    - Night time mode, is quieter in its responses at night
    - Multi action support. For instance say "Hey Google, goodmorning" and it might turn on the lights, start music, turn on the kettle, ec.
    - Kids accounts
    - Ability to send a message to all GHomes in your house.

So overall some nice announcements from Google, but it really feels like they need to scramble faster to keep up with Amazon.

Lack of a 35mm audio out is a bit disappointing, I can see them thinking that this will be a queries and commands kind of Google Home, rather than wanting high quality sound for music. That, and why would anyone spend more on a Google Home if they can just get a cheaper mini and connect it to proper speakers. Yet again though, it seems as though Google have not thought out real user use cases for the Home devices.

I have a CCA hooked up to some decent speaks in my kitchen. I play music to it using my phone or Google Home. A GHome mini in the kitchen might be nice, but now i'll have 2 devices in there.
    Which device do I call "kitchen"?
    How can I play music on my CCA and talk to the GH mini (ie. volume wont quieten when I call "Hey Google").
    As bk said, I now will have to ask my Ghome Mini to play X music in the kitchen to get it to play on my better speakers.

Am I the only one who likes the look of it?

• Advertisement

I'm afraid so :P

Do you not think that the new Echo's look far nicer and they come in a variety of different colours and looks so they can match any home.

The GHome might not look so bad if it also came in black. The new Max comes in both black and white and the Mini comes in three colours. At least I think the GHome needs more colour options.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭jogdish

Nope, still think my GH is nice and understated and fits in. The new echo, is better but that slanting top of the GH is very nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,326 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I'm afraid so :P

Do you not think that the new Echo's look far nicer and they come in a variety of different colours and looks so they can match any home.

The GHome might not look so bad if it also came in black. The new Max comes in both black and white and the Mini comes in three colours. At least I think the GHome needs more colour options.

I was going to get a GHome but opted for the new middle sized Echo. £90 is a good price point.

jogdish wrote: »
    Nope, still think my GH is nice and understated and fits in. The new echo, is better but that slanting top of the GH is very nice.

I suppose it can depend on your homes decor. White might fit in well in your home, but it looks terrible amongst my mostly black furniture, really stands out which makes it worse IMO.

If they had other colour options it could fit more homes better.

BTW I actually got my GHome from a friend who works at Google on release day. When I sent her a picture of it in my house all set up, she wrote back to me apologising for how ugly it looked! Though I was happy because of the cool tech.

The Google Home app now has a setting to which device it should default to when playing media.

This negates not having AUX for me on the Mini, as I have a few CC Audios.

But i can see why it would be an issue for others.when playing catchup with Amazon, leaving out AUX is pretty silly really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Double C

Anyone having trouble setting up multiple users? The blue bar appeared in the Google home app for a few weeks but it's gone now. I want to add two accounts but can't figure out how to do it

Nope...I think it looks nice and fits in well where I have it.

Is bk the only one who hates the look of it? :P

Looks like the reminder functionality is flaky by the way. I used it again last night and it reverted to the first behaviour I saw...nothing out the GHome itself but a reminder popped up on all other devices. There may be a few issues to sort out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

emmetkenny wrote: »
    I was going to get a GHome but opted for the new middle sized Echo. £90 is a good price point.

yeah i think Im going to do the same. have a Dot which I plan on moving from the front room to the bedroom. Was waiting to see if a new GHome was announced as I fancied trying it out.

The fact that the new Echo is cheaper and looks good probably have swayed me to stay with Amazon.

Havent ordered yet though. Would like some real world reviews first to see how the audio is.

• Advertisement

Does the Echo support Goolge Play Music?

Does the Echo support Goolge Play Music?

Yes, but not multi-room casting.

Echo chat here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057668556

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Has anyone ordered from the UK play store? Thinking of picking up a mini but not sure what I need to do to order. The last time I looked was about a year ago and it involved VPNs etc which I wasn't bothered with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,326 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

adox wrote: »
    yeah i think Im going to do the same. have a Dot which I plan on moving from the front room to the bedroom. Was waiting to see if a new GHome was announced as I fancied trying it out.

The fact that the new Echo is cheaper and looks good probably have swayed me to stay with Amazon.

Havent ordered yet though. Would like some real world reviews first to see how the audio is.

I got the Echo for £72 as three of us did a group buy to get a £50 discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭setanta1984

Yes, but not multi-room casting.

Echo chat here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057668556

Huh? Since when? GPM can't be linked to my Echo and I there is nothing about this changing online from a quick search?

Huh? Since when? GPM can't be linked to my Echo and I there is nothing about this changing online from a quick search?

You are correct, no GPM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭opus

Is bk the only one who hates the look of it? :P

I'm heading to Germany in Dec so will get my friends there to order one up for me assuming it's available then. Looks perfect for sitting on a bedside table I think.

Okay Google whats the forcast for tomorrow morning ( im in the west, storm due to hit in the morning )

"12c and light rain " lol

jogdish wrote: »
    Okay Google whats the forcast for tomorrow morning ( im in the west, storm due to hit in the morning )

"12c and light rain " lol

I dont think there is much rain forcast. Wind yeah, rain, not so much.

• Advertisement

But It's also the thing that annoys me about the GH. The lack of AI/machine learning that google love to go on about.

I purchased in the hope this would be smart, I cannot image it's a massive feat for it to check storm warning for the local area? It should tell me these things, perhaps have the lights blink red?

Advertisement