Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Home FAQ

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭moonboy52

I haven't subscribed to Google Play Music, maybe that's why it won't recognise songs.

It recognises songs on both Play Music & Spotify (have both).

I get the "Sorry, i don't understand" sometimes using my Yeelight's.

Seems to happen when the TV is on (background noise) or when i don't pronounce my words properly. (use my Irish accent :P)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Double C

ForestFire wrote: »
    I find intermittent play is down to the quality of you wifi connection to devices.
    I presume you are steaming from spotify, but even from other sources I think it can be the same.

Unless you have the latest Wifi, the Wifi can only stream to one device at a time so constantly switches between the 2 devices streaming (Very fast switching). It also has to keep the two devices in sync.

You can use the following app to check you wifi quality around the home.
    Play particular attention to congested bands and try to move your channel to a free areas if possible (Use the channel graph feature)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.netgear.WiFiAnalytics&hl=en

Thanks for that, that's a useful app. I was doing something else earlier and had to reboot the router and the groups have been working fine since! Hopefully that'll be it sorted from now on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

moonboy52 wrote: »
    Not sure why the 3 dots are showing up for you man. Might have to wipe the cache and data and try again.

No linking to Bluetooth, got to use a Chromecast Audio

God thats annoying!! How do you clear the cahce on the home app ?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,942 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Patww79 wrote: »

That seems to be more of a problem with Alexa. Hell it can even be very inconsistent between two of them in the same house!

GHome is much more consistent in my experience and works very well.

• Advertisement

On Nova Launcher anyway, it is hold down the icon and select "app info" and go into "Storage"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Are you sure your phone is connected to your Wi-Fi.

When I check at work the devices menu only show my devices as a text bar with the X to remove.

At home and connected to Wi-Fi I see the graphics for each device and the menu dots.

Not sure why the 3 dots are showing up for you man. Might have to wipe the cache and data and try again.

No linking to Bluetooth, got to use a Chromecast Audio

Would you beleive, when i was googleing it, a chat link from google support came up and its sorted.

I actually had to reboot my router to sort it. I was pretty feckin sceptic, but it bloody did it.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

bk wrote: »
    That seems to be more of a problem with Alexa. Hell it can even be very inconsistent between two of them in the same house!

GHome is much more consistent in my experience and works very well.
    Plus, I expect a lot of the inconsistency exists between the users rather than GHome devices/UI :)

Well, my two minis arrived, quite happy with them, but wouldn't be listening to music on them, they work perfectly as an assistant device or listening to talk radio. If they do add Bluetooth connectivity to external speakers then that would be great, bit not a deal breaker for what I am using them for (I might swap him one of the full homes if he really wants to play music)

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

I get the "Sorry, i don't understand" sometimes using my Yeelight's.

Seems to happen when the TV is on (background noise) or when i don't pronounce my words properly. (use my Irish accent :P)

Just wondering, have you been able to get it to trigger the preset scenes?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,942 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

What questions specifically are not working for you? What are you trying to do?

Maybe you GHome firmware hasn't been updated?

Mine works very consistently, I haven't heard 'sorry I can't do that yet but I'm learning every day' in months!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,494 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Asking it to recognise something played on Youtube on a desktop (or device without GHome app) is essentially beyond its capabilities, then? Seems to be the case.

Asking it to recognise something played on Youtube on a desktop (or device without GHome app) is essentially beyond its capabilities, then? Seems to be the case.

No, it doesn't currently have that function, it can only tell you the music it is playing/controlling.

However it looks like SoundCloud (which would do this) is coming to GHome soon:

https://blog.soundcloud.com/2017/05/17/soundcloud-coming-google-home-soon/

• Registered Users Posts: 44 redzer_irl

Has anyone managed to get Dublin Bus Finder working?

https://assistant.google.com/services/a/id/1372f1f9e2353df8/

Prob not a specific google home thing, but I used to use google play music, and switched last week to spotify premium. The main difference I see, is that with play music, if I ask to play a specific song, it will play it, and then move on to a similar song of similar genre or artist, really liked that feature.

Spotify does'nt do that at all, it just plays the one song and then gives up. Unless I am missing somehting ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭jogdish

Prob not a specific google home thing, but I used to use google play music, and switched last week to spotify premium. The main difference I see, is that with play music, if I ask to play a specific song, it will play it, and then move on to a similar song of similar genre or artist, really liked that feature.

Spotify does'nt do that at all, it just plays the one song and then gives up. Unless I am missing somehting ?
    Being cynical it could be like the youtube(owned by google) auto play feature, each next auto play gets them extra views and money from adds, or at the very least boosts numbers to make them more appealing.

jogdish wrote: »
    Being cynical it could be like the youtube(owned by google) auto play feature, each next auto play gets them extra views and money from adds, or at the very least boosts numbers to make them more appealing.

Fair point, but as a feature it was really nice! I might switch back to play music I think. I went to spotify as I switched to vodafone, so went for the spotify deal, at 5.99 its cheaper, than play at 9.99

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Fair point, but as a feature it was really nice! I might switch back to play music I think. I went to spotify as I switched to vodafone, so went for the spotify deal, at 5.99 its cheaper, than play at 9.99

I pay for the family deal of GPM which is myself and another 5 users for €15 a month

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

They're very strict about who the 5 users are though aren't they?

No restriction, the 5 users can be anyone

Would be willing to be one of the five if you're looking for "volunteers"! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

my 8 year old loved it yesterday as he asked it to spell a word for homework.... Mrs Brookied well put out as she is normally the goto for stuff like that...lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

My three year old also likes to get GH to spell his name. And to say good night to him. He has a huge lisp, so there is a lot of shouting going on.

So not working on Google Home (but i hope it will soon), but Google Assistant on the phone can now identify "what is this song"

Black Oil was asking about it a few days ago

https://www.engadget.com/2017/11/06/google-assistant-song-id/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭McG

my 2 year olds regularly shout "OK Google [insert current favourite song]" not that it ever recognises what they're shouting, and when we were visiting my parents and my Dad put on CDs for them they spent half the time standing over the CD player, yelling "OK GOOGLE!"

McG wrote: »
    my 2 year olds regularly shout "OK Google [insert current favourite song]" not that it ever recognises what they're shouting, and when we were visiting my parents and my Dad put on CDs for them they spent half the time standing over the CD player, yelling "OK GOOGLE!"

Like my 2 year old trying to touch the TV to try and scroll through the options on the youtube app :D

It is kind of insane how good they are with technology. I can only imagine what they will have in 30 years time!

bk wrote: »
    Like my 2 year old trying to touch the TV to try and scroll through the options on the youtube app :D

It is kind of insane how good they are with technology. I can only imagine what they will have in 30 years time!

I've had a smart lighting system since about 2001, tied to the alarm system motion sensors. My kids grew up with it, but in the earlier years it was amusing tonwatxh them wave their hands in a friends house to try and turn on the lights :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 spuncy

Picked up the Google Home Mini today and it's great!

Worked perfectly until I went to link it to both me and herself.. Both of us have iPhones and the multi user option never appeared. Tried with both my gsuite account and a normal google account. Eventually managed to get it working, apologies if this has already been mentioned in the thread..

I had to get my Android tablet (Lenovo Yoga Tab 3) and install Google Home. It showed the multi user stuff but it crashed/stopped when I tried to record my voice for Hey/Ok Google.

Then looked up how to install the actual Google Assistant on the tablet (not available in the Play store), but found the link: https://www.xda-developers.com/get-google-assistant-on-android-lollipop-marshmallow-nougat-tablets-without-root/

A little more messing around and some parts of Google Assistant were activated and went back into Google Home, whereupon it recorded my voice and linked the account fine. I added the second account on the tablet and she recorded her voice there too.

After that, both appeared as linked accounts on the iPhones and you can manage the settings in each but it doesn't show multi account stuff.

Pain in the arse, but got there in the end.

Advertisement