Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Home FAQ

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,942 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I think if you set your iPhone to the US Region (iPhones settings) that the Google Home app would then have given you this option.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 spuncy

Ah thanks bk, I was going to change app store to US the other day to get Google Assistant app on iOS but it warned me about cancelling subscriptions if I changed or something. Strange that they don't just release it together with US/UK..

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,942 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

spuncy wrote: »
    Ah thanks bk, I was going to change app store to US the other day to get Google Assistant app on iOS but it warned me about cancelling subscriptions if I changed or something. Strange that they don't just release it together with US/UK..

You don't need to change the app store location, just the general region on your phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 spuncy

bk wrote: »
    You don't need to change the app store location, just the general region on your phone.

D’oh!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭jogdish

I wrote this, and as i did, solved my own problem, I will leave this here in case:
    Solution : I was using firefox, make chrome the default web browser, works fine
    ***Solved***
    So ,
    I have a Belkin Weemo smart home plug. Works perfect using the weemo app on phone.
    I go into the Google home app -> home control -> select weemo, this opens a page in browser telling me to switch weemoo on/off, I do and it verfies my weemo. The page then goes to load and all i see is a blank page

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

Just reset my Wemo lihgts, through IFTTT and now under my voice control.... love it....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

The Google Home is getting intercom / broadcast functionality

• Moderators Posts: 12,379 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

matrim wrote: »
    The Google Home is getting intercom / broadcast functionality

Nothing here yet. Running Firmware version 99956 on my home. Cast version 1.28.99956

Okay I can control my wemo socket, by saying, turn off wemo switch.

Is there a way to change it to turn off the TV/radiator/light basically whatever word I want.

jogdish wrote: »
    Okay I can control my wemo socket, by saying, turn off wemo switch.

Is there a way to change it to turn off the TV/radiator/light basically whatever word I want.

You can set "shortcuts" in the home app. It's basically a phrase you pick that maps onto something else

I have one called "Light it up" which is another way of turning on my hall lights because I found that saying "turn on hall lights" was too unreliable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Or you can use https://ifttt.com/

You can set "shortcuts" in the home app. It's basically a phrase you pick that maps onto something else

I have one called "Light it up" which is another way of turning on my hall lights because I found that saying "turn on hall lights" was too unreliable.

Is it shortcuts, or nicknames? If you go to the home app, Menu on the left, home control and find the device under your devices. Tap into it and set a nickname.

Is it shortcuts, or nicknames? If you go to the home app, Menu on the left, home control and find the device under your devices. Tap into it and set a nickname.

App - top left, menu, more settings - shortcuts.

That app is NOT user friendly!

It's shortcuts in my version but I think it may have been nicknames in an older version

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

jogdish wrote: »
    App - top left, menu, more settings - shortcuts.

That app is NOT user friendly!

Cool, can you get it to say things ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭moonboy52

https://www.blog.google/products/home/google-home-app-keeps-getting-better/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+blogspot%2FMKuf+%28The+Keyword+%7C+Official+Google+Blog%29

"You can even adjust advanced sound settings like bass and treble on your Google Assistant supported speakers, like Google Home."

Maybe just for the Max, but would be cool if it was for the Home also

It's shortcuts in my version but I think it may have been nicknames in an older version

They're 2 different things. Shortcut is like "Hey Google, bedtime", and this will do something like turn off the lights (or whatever you've programmed it to), whereas a nickname is a name you can set a device to. "Hey Google, turn off Hue Grant" if you give you hue bulbs funny Hugh nicknames.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭privateBeavis

Nothing here yet. Running Firmware version 99956 on my home. Cast version 1.28.99956

Working for me and I'm on that same version.
    Also just realised find my phone is also working now, not sure when that was activated.

One question on this is where google gets the device name from because it calls it "device SMG..." ie the model. I have the device renamed on the phone and also checked google device manager so not from there either.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

"Works" for me - in that it says it can't broadcast because I only have the one speaker :)

Does it allow broadcasting to other Google devices? I've got a CCaudio in the kitchen and the office too. I tried to says "OK Google, Broadcast" last night and google assistant on my phone just disappeared as soon as it recognised the word broadcast.
    At least that's new...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭McG

broadcast is working for me from my mini to my home but not the other way around, it tells me it can't find another speaker on the network.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

adox, haha stop jumping around, I just answered over on the other thread :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Getting google home to play f*ck buttons (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/****_Buttons) is complicated... she will play specific albums and censors herself when reading out the band name..

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

BobbyT28 wrote: »

Nice one! Do they ship to Parcel Motel?

**Ignore - found answer in Home Automation Bargains thread.**

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭privateBeavis

ixoy wrote: »
    "Works" for me - in that it says it can't broadcast because I only have the one speaker :)

I was testing from my google assistant on my phone and it broadcast on the google home.
    ..that includes typing stuff into goggle assistant to be broadcast on the google home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭NATLOR

Does it support deezer music

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭moonboy52

NATLOR wrote: »
    Does it support deezer music

Not as far as i know.

Only Google Music & Spotify.

Edit: Apparently so. But a Google says only germany & France so far?

https://support.deezer.com/hc/en-gb/articles/115003803629-Deezer-on-Google-Home

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

How is this for playing Irish radio stations?

Advertisement