Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Home FAQ

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,942 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

adox wrote: »
    Ok here’s a question regarding Hue. I have two lights in the living room and a light strip in the kitchen. I want to be able to have the two lights in room “living room” to control together and the light strip that’s in the kitchen as “kitchen” so I can say “turn on kitchen” “turn off living room” etc but I’d also like an option to control all three as well in a “downstairs” option but it doesn’t seem to work.
    It seems you can’t have the lights in more than one room. This may be a Hue thing rather than Google Home but I had this set up with Alexa(can’t remember exactly how now and may have involved third party apps perhaps) so was wondering had anyone any ideas? Maybe this would be better asked in the Hue thread?

Yes this is a limitation of the "room" concept, versus "groups". Lights can only be in one room or the other. The new Hue app has the same limitation.

One work around might be to use an IFTTT command to turn the three lights off. You could call it downstairs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Thanks bk. One more thing. I had shortcuts set up with a few changes Mandy’s for my hue lights but it’s stopped working and now when I go into the app it has disappeared from the menu!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭thecivvie

bk wrote: »
    Yes this is a limitation of the "room" concept, versus "groups". Lights can only be in one room or the other. The new Hue app has the same limitation.

One work around might be to use an IFTTT command to turn the three lights off. You could call it downstairs.

I tried with IFTTT and could only add one bulb or room. Must try again

Join Ireland Weather Network

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭setanta1984

Anyone with multiple Home devices have any luck with controlling casting audio on from different Home devices? Here's what I'm trying to do:
      Ask Kitchen Google Home to play Spotify on Chromecast Audio group called 'All Speakers'
      Music starts playing on 3 CC Audios in different rooms
      Walk to bedroom and ask Bedroom Google Home to Pause/Skip/Change track/Ask what is playing etc.

Unfortunately it seems that only the Home that you originally initiated the casting from can subsequently control it - the second Home says nothing is playing when I try the above.

Anyone have a similar use case?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,942 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

thecivvie wrote: »
    I tried with IFTTT and could only add one bulb or room. Must try again

Maybe try Stringify instead or GHome -> IFTTT -> Yonomi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Anyone with multiple Home devices have any luck with controlling casting audio on from different Home devices? Here's what I'm trying to do:
      Ask Kitchen Google Home to play Spotify on Chromecast Audio group called 'All Speakers'
      Music starts playing on 3 CC Audios in different rooms
      Walk to bedroom and ask Bedroom Google Home to Pause/Skip/Change track/Ask what is playing etc.

Unfortunately it seems that only the Home that you originally initiated the casting from can subsequently control it - the second Home says nothing is playing when I try the above.

Anyone have a similar use case?
    Ake sure all the homes are setup with the same main account

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ferrigan101

moonboy52 wrote: »
    https://www.blog.google/products/home/google-home-app-keeps-getting-better/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+blogspot%2FMKuf+%28The+Keyword+%7C+Official+Google+Blog%29

"You can even adjust advanced sound settings like bass and treble on your Google Assistant supported speakers, like Google Home."

Maybe just for the Max, but would be cool if it was for the Home also

I was just having a look in the settings for the Google home and the equalizer is there now for me. Very handy as I always thought the home was a bit bass heavy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »
    Tried all those pocketcasts commands and "sorry, nothing's playing right now" is the reply every time. Inconsistent wench. The music was of no interest to me but the podcasts would have been so handy.

I believe from reading the Pocket Cast help, the commands only work on phones as such
    Note: The Google Assistant is available on select devices running Android 7 or above. Most of the commands above should also work with the old Google Now search box that comes on phones before that time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Is anyone else finding the broadcast feature a bit finikey? I'll say "Broadcast to the kitchen 'make the tea'" and in the kitchen it will say "to the kitchen make the tea". I've tried variations (e.g. saying room after the message) but still about 3/4 of the time I get something similar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,246 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Got this set up yesterday, great piece of kit. May have ordered another this morning!

I have a Philips Android TV with Netflix baked in. Asked the assistant to play Netflix and it tried but advised that it couldn't play on the tv. Anyone else have this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

adox wrote: »
    Thanks bk. One more thing. I had shortcuts set up with a few changes Mandy’s for my hue lights but it’s stopped working and now when I go into the app it has disappeared from the menu!

And it’s back again this morning. It’s a nice feature so glad to have it back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

Only works with an actual Chromecast device for some reason. I can't do the Netflix thing to cast to my Shield either.

Just got my home this morning and was disappointed to realise it didn't work on my shield.

I'm sure it'll be possible in the near future. Hopefully sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

It's been available for a long time on Chromecast and not even word of it for other cast devices so I wouldn't hold out hope.

Oh that's annoying. Cheers for the heads up though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,246 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Weird as Google / Android is what's actually driving the TV itself rather than a device plugged into it. Anyway, still a great piece of kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭setanta1984

Ake sure all the homes are setup with the same main account

Yes, definitely. Does it work for you? (Or anyone else?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Does the mini have to work with a larger google home or is the mini just a smaller version that can work by itself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

You might be able to voice command it directly with the Shield (keeping the Home out of the loop altogether) as Assistant is on the device itself now. Never tried it.

The assistant on the Shield can control it by voice. Play, pause etc. It uses the most recently used profile, so it'll throw an error if the kids were using it last and I want something that's not available to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

matrim wrote: »
    Is anyone else finding the broadcast feature a bit finikey? I'll say "Broadcast to the kitchen 'make the tea'" and in the kitchen it will say "to the kitchen make the tea". I've tried variations (e.g. saying room after the message) but still about 3/4 of the time I get something similar.

You don't specify the room when you broadcast, it broadcasts to all the Home devices you have.

Yes, definitely. Does it work for you? (Or anyone else?)

I had a similar issue where one of the homes would bit control lights but it was because it was setup under a different main account, so was thinking something similar was your issue

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭privateBeavis

Has anyone got multi user working on google home? Seems like only available in US and UK.
    There's no option to link second account. Such a pain in the rear when they limit features by country, get on with it Google!!
    The find my phone is great but it's my wife that loses her phone every 5 minutes so would be great if she could use that feature too.

BailMeOut wrote: »
    Does the mini have to work with a larger google home or is the mini just a smaller version that can work by itself?

Can work fine by itself. I don't have a larger one at the moment and my mini does all i need

thecivvie wrote: »
    Can work fine by itself. I don't have a larger one at the moment and my mini does all i need

:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭jogdish

Ok goodle remind me to put on the dinner at ...

It says it sets the reminder, but all I get is once crappy ding on my phone at the time, the Home gives no signal whatsoever, is there a way to make Home be the device that gives the reminder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭niallb

Has anyone got multi user working on google home? Seems like only available in US and UK. ..

Yes. We have it working here. Make sure your phone's language is set to US English.

There isn't an option to add a second account.
    What you do is install the Home app on a device logged in with the other account and then add the Home to that - it'll prompt you to set up your Google Assistant voice print.

If I ask the Home what's my name, it tells me mine, and if someone else in the family asks, they get their own name back. Should get my spotify "Made for You" mixes back on track!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BattlingCheese

jogdish wrote: »
    Ok goodle remind me to put on the dinner at ...

It says it sets the reminder, but all I get is once crappy ding on my phone at the time, the Home gives no signal whatsoever, is there a way to make Home be the device that gives the reminder?

Try say "Hey Google" instead of "OK Google". The assistant closest to you is meant to respond which is usually your phone. The phone does not respond to the Hey wake word so I have got used to just using that phrase.

Advertisement