Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Home FAQ

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Differences I see on mine are Language is set to English (United States) and Country code is set to IE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,942 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

My new Mini is set to:
    Language: English (United States)
    Country Code: IE

My GH that I bought in the US is:
    Language: English (United States)
    Country Code: US

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭eoinfitzokk

Shlippery wrote: »
    Yea, was impressed I just had to say "Hey Google, play 2fm" or "play today fm" and it knew to look at tunein!

When you say play 2fm or newstalk does it stream to the speaker from your phones tunein app or directly from the internet like a separate device?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭moonboy52

When you say play 2fm or newstalk does it stream to the speaker from your phones tunein app or directly from the internet like a separate device?

It streams from the Internet to the Google Home / Mini.

The Phone is not in the equation at all, in this case

I have a Chromecast Audio on my speakers (and is set as the default device for Music), so plays on the speakers when i ask it to play Today FM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Patww79 wrote: »

Under devices click on your home and there is an option for assistant language, set it to English US

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,942 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

So a follow up on setting the Region on iPhone * and the effect on the Google Home app.

* Note I'm talking about the region setting in the iPhones own OS level settings.

If I set it to Ireland, the GHome app works, but then I lose the voice recognition feature (and maybe some other power user features). I need to set it to US or UK for this option to appear in the app.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭thecivvie

One thing that has escaped me so far. Getting GH to play the next subscription on YouTube. It seems impossible. Tried everything I can think of. Seems odd they don't have this working as yet

Join Ireland Weather Network

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Hopefully Quick Q for ye.
    With a G Home can it play music and also cast to a CCA?
    Or is it one or the other?

Have a G Home in my PM locker, but might get the mini too..

• Advertisement

mik_da_man wrote: »
    Hopefully Quick Q for ye.
    With a G Home can it play music and also cast to a CCA?
    Or is it one or the other?

You can have it play on the GH, on the CCA or both at the same time if you set it up.

You can create groups of GH's and CCA's. So say you have a CCA called "bedroom audio" and a group called "home group" which includes both your GH and your CCA, you can then do:

- "Hey Google, play music" - Comes out on just the GH
    - "Hey Google, play music on bedroom audio" - Comes out on just the CCA
    - "Hey Google, play music on home group" - Comes out of both the GH and CCA.

Note you can also change the default place that it plays music. So for instance you can default music to the CCA, so now:

"Hey Google, play music" now comes out on the CCA.

Very powerful stuff, you can create many groups for whole house audio.

Cheers as usual.

Could you say Play Spotify on Sitting room and Play Radio on Kitchen for example?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

GH got delivered to PM Dublin depot yesterday at 17:00. Still no sign of it!

Must be bogged down with all the orders from Boards members! :D

Anyone else have this issue?

BobbyT28

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Shlippery

BobbyT28 wrote: »
    GH got delivered to PM Dublin depot yesterday at 17:00. Still no sign of it!

Must be bogged down with all the orders from Boards members! :D

Anyone else have this issue?

BobbyT28

I got onto them, simple answer is the driver may have went out and your locker was full. That was what happened with mine anyways. In this case they bring it back to base and try again as soon as they can!

Could you say Play Spotify on Sitting room and Play Radio on Kitchen for example?

Sort of, if you use Multi user support and you play spotify in sitting room, then the other half for instance could play radio in the kitchen.
    Shlippery wrote: »
    I got onto them, simple answer is the driver may have went out and your locker was full. That was what happened with mine anyways. In this case they bring it back to base and try again as soon as they can!

I'd say they are hammered this time of the year. I'd use ParcelWizard instead at this time of the year. They can either deliver to your home, work or to a DPD pickup point (local shop).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

My mini arrived in Dublin Parcel motel depot at 3pm yesterday...was notified at 8am this morning that it is in my local locker in Cork.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,494 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

adox wrote: »
    I’ve had the echo dot for a few months and well the GH is just like a much better version of it in nearly every way. Even when checking the traffic in the morning before leaving for work(something I do religiously) with the echo dot it just gave me a time estimate. If it was longer than the norm I knew there was a pr9blem somewhere and could check on twitter. With GH it gives me the time and if there is a delay, tells me where the problem is, the junction on the motorway where the traffic is backed up to and suggests an alternative route.

I’m very happy with it.

Similar to yourself, I check the traffic (M1 and M50) with the Mini before heading out. I tend to leave just before 7am. It usually says a) traffic is light or b) traffic is light but 'slower than usual'. Even if it says 'light', I take this with a grain of salt as my experience of the M1 is reasonably thick with traffic shortly after 7 (but mostly moving, tbf).

It never really says 'heavy' in the mornings, sometimes I ask for traffic after I get home for fun and it's definitely heavy at stage - evening rush hour. Does it have a category that's in between light and heavy, btw?

I wasn't aware you could ask it an ETA, though. How do you do that? I tried last night 'how long to drive to ________ (where I work) and got the 'sorry, _____' response. I was 20 minutes late for work this morning, first time being late for any job I've had which was frustrating. 35 minute queue at exit 14. Completely down to the conditions and traffic. End of rant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭niallb

Cheers as usual.

Just checked and yes you can.
    No need for multi account.

I asked it to play spotify on my kitchen chromecast,
    and then asked it to play Newstalk 106 FM on the Google Home itself.

The Chromecast paused while I was asking it to play the radio station,
    but it came back on and both played together.
    Saying "OK Google, Stop" stopped the playback of the TuneIn radio station.
    Saying it again then stopped the playback of spotify on the chromecast.

niallb wrote: »
    Just checked and yes you can.
    No need for multi account.

Fantastic, thanks!

Will be trying that out later so after I pick mine up :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

Guys can a Google Home be integrated into an exsiting setup seemlessly (eg) all my media is strored on a NAS on my LAN.

Will I be able to access this media, or maybe best way to ask; will the Google Home allow me to say (eg) 'Hello Goggle, play Paul Weller' and it will access the music from the LAN/NAS and play?

...say same for movies etc

or do i have this all wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BattlingCheese

not seamlessly for local content, no

If you use Plex and are a bit technical you can DIY it. Plex also supports Amazon Echo so they should be supporting GH soon.
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/connected-home/google-home/meet-phlex-google-home-action-plex-t3574746

https://youtu.be/FZBlNwBocAc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Similar to yourself, I check the traffic (M1 and M50) with the Mini before heading out. I tend to leave just before 7am. It usually says a) traffic is light or b) traffic is light but 'slower than usual'. Even if it says 'light', I take this with a grain of salt as my experience of the M1 is reasonably thick with traffic shortly after 7 (but mostly moving, tbf).

It never really says 'heavy' in the mornings, sometimes I ask for traffic after I get home for fun and it's definitely heavy at stage - evening rush hour. Does it have a category that's in between light and heavy, btw?

I wasn't aware you could ask it an ETA, though. How do you do that? I tried last night 'how long to drive to ________ (where I work) and got the 'sorry, _____' response. I was 20 minutes late for work this morning, first time being late for any job I've had which was frustrating. 35 minute queue at exit 14. Completely down to the conditions and traffic. End of rant.

It usually includes how long the commute to work will take. If it doesn’t I ask and it tells me.

This morning it told me about delays on the M1 and told me it was a 20 minute delay, which junction it was delayed from and suggested another route, named the two main roads to take and eta by going that route.

When I set it up 8 set my phone(iPhone) to English US for language and my location as U.S. as per set up instructions on here. Maybe that makes the difference?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Our traffic updates are pretty reliable. Most trips include the quays and it reliably says whether traffic is light or heavy. Asking how long is a commute is pretty on the ball too.

I think today was a bit of an exception with crap weather, flooding and random traffic jams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,245 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Is it possible to set an alarm with tunein? I. E. Wake me up at 6AM with Newstalk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,060 ✭✭✭OU812

What phrase do you guys use to ask for traffic? I keep getting the "I'm Sorry" reply

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

Picked up GH last night. OMG am I shocked at how small it is! From all the videos and photos i've seen I still didn't think it was that small!

On looks compared to my Amazon Echo, the GH wins. Love the feel of it and the coloured DOT's on the top uch brighter in real life.

Now I just have to figure out whats the diffrences between this and the Echo regarding commands etc

Sound quality I think is better than the Echo.

Now that I have the GH and an Echo not sure what to do in. Was going to leae th GH in the living room and move the echo somewhere else.

Anyway this will keep me busy for the next few hours. I'm sure I'll have plenty of Q's to ask going forward!!

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭CGI_3

As in intercom. Is this feature available here? Don't have a second GH, so can't try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

CGI_3 wrote: »
    As in intercom. Is this feature available here? Don't have a second GH, so can't try.

There's a broadcast feature added not long ago
    http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/11/13/broadcast-google-home-rolling-now-allowing-talk-everyone-house/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,006 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

CGI_3 wrote: »

Yep, I tried it the other day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

OU812 wrote: »
    What phrase do you guys use to ask for traffic? I keep getting the "I'm Sorry" reply

"Hows my commute?" will give you traffic only or "hows my day" will give you traffic, weather, appointments and news.

Advertisement