Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Home FAQ

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,942 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

It can't on the Mini. If you've a Chromecast Audio plugged into a regular speaker you can make it work.

Actually the mini can, it has Bluetooth and you can connect to it from your phone and use it as a Bluetooth speaker for your phone. What it can't currently do and neither can GH, is connect to another Bluetooth speaker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Is the only way to order Google Homes from the Google store at the discounted price via Parcel Motel?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,942 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

OldBean wrote: »
    Is the only way to order Google Homes from the Google store at the discounted price via Parcel Motel?

Maplins, Curry's etc. in the UK have it at a discounted price too, but Google store seems to be the most reliable way to order it.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭wingnut32

I took the plunge and ordered 2 minis, the hive thermostat, and hive bulbs for the kitchen and living room. Has anyone got a similiar set up that might have some initial tips putting it together?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,006 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

When you ask it to do something, do you always have to get a response? For example in the living room I'd ask 'her' to turn on the lamp and she gives the following response 'Sure, turning on the living room lamp'. It seems unnecessary and certainly at night time it'd be liable to irritate the missus who's asleep in the room above.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

There is a sleep mode which reduces the volumn at night if that helps at all? It is irritating though.

The most annoying for me is "ask Harmony to turn down the volumn" followed by "ok, asking Harmony to turn down the volumn"... "ok, turning down the volumn"... Just turn it down!!

OldBean wrote: »
    There is a sleep mode which reduces the volumn at night if that helps at all? It is irritating though.

The most annoying for me is "ask Harmony to turn down the volumn" followed by "ok, asking Harmony to turn down the volumn"... "ok, turning down the volumn"... Just turn it down!!

Thanks Oldbean. I have that option turned on but it's still too loud (you'd hear a mouse fart at night in our house). I hope they give you an option in the future to mute these responses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭randombar

wingnut32 wrote: »
    I took the plunge and ordered 2 minis, the hive thermostat, and hive bulbs for the kitchen and living room. Has anyone got a similiar set up that might have some initial tips putting it together?

Send me a PM with any questions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

One good thing that they could do with the home devices, is have two different volume settings, one volume setting for music etc, and a different volume setting for voice responses etc.

Anyone think this is a worthwhile idea, might want to send feedback by saying "he google, send feedback"

One good thing that they could do with the home devices, is have two different volume settings, one volume setting for music etc, and a different volume setting for voice responses etc.

Anyone think this is a worthwhile idea, might want to send feedback by saying "he google, send feedback"

That'd be a great idea. A lot of the responses to commands are unnecessary or could be set to a very low volume. It'd be great to have that option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BattlingCheese

That's been in the feature request pipeline for a long time now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭jogdish

I would love that! radio needs to be vol 2/3 whilecommad answers need to be vol 5 in my house. so annoying

Can you use one home to control say the volume of another in a different room? For example let's say the bedroom mini was playing a lullaby, can I tell the Home unit downstairs to lower the volume of the unit in the bedroom?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,060 ✭✭✭OU812

Is there a way to manage the rooms/devices outside of the app?

Somehow one of my rooms is duplicated & I've one device in one & two devices in another, rather than have three devices in one.

There's no difference in the spelling of the room name or even numbers, it's just a duplicate dividing three devices over two rooms.

I've tried moving one into the other & then two into the other to allow me to delete one room, but nothing's happening.

Can you use one home to control say the volume of another in a different room? For example let's say the bedroom mini was playing a lullaby, can I tell the Home unit downstairs to lower the volume of the unit in the bedroom?

No, I don't think so, good idea though. You might be able to do it through the app.
    OU812 wrote: »
    Is there a way to manage the rooms/devices outside of the app?

Somehow one of my rooms is duplicated & I've one device in one & two devices in another, rather than have three devices in one.

There's no difference in the spelling of the room name or even numbers, it's just a duplicate dividing three devices over two rooms.

I've tried moving one into the other & then two into the other to allow me to delete one room, but nothing's happening.

No, you can only do it in the app. I actually had the same problem, I somehow ended up with 5 hallways! This part of the app is quiet buggy, however I was able to eventually delete the duplicates.

The solution was to simply try a few times, also it looks like the room hasn't deleted, but it has. Do the following:
    - Remove all devices from the room to be deleted
    - Go into the room and select the option to delete
    - go back to the previous page and pull the page down this should refresh this page and hopefully thr duplicate room disappears.

If it doesn't work try again a few times, maybe also force close the app and try again. Annoying but it should eventually work.

You can, I use it a lot when playing music in the whole house via a group of all GH's and want to turn it off as I leave rooms. It's a kind of workaround for turning off 1 GH while leaving the rest of the group playing.

Say "Hey Google, change volume on Bedroom" GH will respond with the music level and ask what you want it set to. Say "zero" or whatever volume you want.
    Repeat when you want to bring volume back up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭54and56

Hi guys,

New GH user here but well experienced with all things Android over the years inc rooting and flashing etc

I'm very impressed with how quickly we as a family have embraced GH. It kicks out enough sound to fill a large living space and is being used to set timers, play radio stations and Spotify etc but I'm very frustrated that despite the GH app on my phone telling me that "Multi-user is now available" when I try to set up Multi user (which I really want to do to give everyone in the family their own personalised access) it just hangs in the Voice Match enrolment process.

I've been trying to solve the problem for a few days including putting up a thread on the Google Product Support Forum but haven't had any response.

No matter what I try (and believe me I've tried a lot of things!!) all I get after clicking on "Next" in the "Teach the Assistant to recognise your voice" screen is an endless "Please wait...." message.

I have the GH address set to my home address in Dublin and I'm using the Google Home app (V1.26.30.8) on a OnePlus 5 Android phone running Android 7.1.1. with the phone's language preference set to English (United States). I initially had it set to English (United Kingdom) but get the same "Please wait...." result either way.

I'd REALLY appreciate someone with a similar Android based set up who encountered this problem giving me a steer on how to resolve it as it's driving me mad!!

Have you tried this?

Log in to your Google Activiyty page here https://myaccount.google.com/activitycontrols/audio?utm_source=HelpCenter&utm_medium=websearch&utm_campaign=

check, if your Google Voice and Audio Activity is turned on, if it is Toggle it off and back on

Also after the language change clear Google app data and Google Play services cache.

Have you tried this?

Log in to your Google Activiyty page here https://myaccount.google.com/activitycontrols/audio?utm_source=HelpCenter&utm_medium=websearch&utm_campaign=

check, if your Google Voice and Audio Activity is turned on, if it is Toggle it off and back on

Also after the language change clear Google app data and Google Play services cache.

Thanks, I'll give that a go once I get home.

Also, does the One Plus phones have their own voice detection service like S voice for Samsung? You might need to turn that off if so.

You can also try this
    Uninstall Google Home App on your phone
    Restart your phone
    Reinstall GH app from store.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Also, does the One Plus phones have their own voice detection service like S voice for Samsung? You might need to turn that off if so.

Nope, at least my One Plus 3T doesn't anyway. Has Assistant built in.

Have you tried this?

Tried this, didn't work.

Thanks for the suggestion, appreciate it.

No, it has Google Assistant baked in.
    You can also try this
    Uninstall Google Home App on your phone
    Restart your phone
    Reinstall GH app from store.

Tried it, didn't work.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I must be doing something REALLY stupid.

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭wingnut32

Does anyone know how long it takes to get an order from Google. I ordered two minis and a cca on Friday, order information says it should have shipped yesterday but still no movement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

I ordered a GH during last week and received it within 2 days (1 day to Parcel Motel) but same as you now, I ordered a mini on Sunday and it should have been sent yesterday, still no update on the order (although delivery is showing as 29th to 1st)

So either there was tons of orders and they are slowly processing them (Black Friday weekend and all) or the stock has run low.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

DrZeuss wrote: »
    I ordered a GH during last week and received it within 2 days (1 day to Parcel Motel) but same as you now, I ordered a mini on Sunday and it should have been sent yesterday, still no update on the order (although delivery is showing as 29th to 1st)

So either there was tons of orders and they are slowly processing them (Black Friday weekend and all) or the stock has run low.

Ordered a mini on Sunday from Google, dispatched yesterday and arrived in parcel motel HQ in dublin today. Hope to have it in the locker tonight. Pretty quick turnaround tbf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

wingnut32 wrote: »
    Does anyone know how long it takes to get an order from Google. I ordered two minis and a cca on Friday, order information says it should have shipped yesterday but still no movement.
    Uriel. wrote: »
    Ordered a mini on Sunday from Google, dispatched yesterday and arrived in parcel motel HQ in dublin today. Hope to have it in the locker tonight. Pretty quick turnaround tbf

Google must have heard us talking, dispatched just now :pac: :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Yeah I ordered a Mini on Sunday and arrived in Parcel Motel today. Should be in my locker tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭randombar

Anyone notice anything strange with IFTTT

Created one Applet a few days ago "Boost Upstairs", work grand, web hook to a script that pushes to hive API.

Created the exact same applet yesterday "Boost Downstairs" and google assistant isn't recognising it.

Advertisement