Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Home FAQ

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,087 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Did the trivia quiz last night, was fun :) hopefully more games emerge to keep everyone occupied over Christmas.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BattlingCheese

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Did the trivia quiz last night, was fun :) hopefully more games emerge to keep everyone occupied over Christmas.

There are about 50 games you can play
    http://mashable.com/2017/10/24/google-assistant-games/#0pcq_2YwtgqC

There are a ton of third party services (mostly crap) you can use and they used to be in the GH app under Explore or Services. Not there anymore however but are still available. The Dublin Bus one (not officially from them of course) still works

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

There are about 50 games you can play
    http://mashable.com/2017/10/24/google-assistant-games/#0pcq_2YwtgqC

There are a ton of third party services (mostly crap) you can use and they used to be in the GH app under Explore or Services. Not there anymore however but are still available. The Dublin Bus one (not officially from them of course) still works

Is there a list or resource point for those other services?

There doesn't seem to be a full list online no. Like I said it used to be in the App but seems region blocked.
    https://support.google.com/googlehome/answer/7126338

you can get to them via your phone if on Android.

-Launch Google Assistant on your particular phone (hold down home button on mine)
    -Tap on Blue icon, top right of screen
    -That should open the explore tab with trending services.
    -Scroll all the way down to All categories to see them all.

Most are US only or just terrible.

There is a small list of some here and apologies in advance if you have not a pop-up blocker on your browser!
    https://www.cnet.com/how-to/google-home-services-you-should-try-right-now/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭bigneacy

I got google home and ring doorbell - i'm having trouble getting google to talk to ring - when i tell it to it tells me to add the device on the home app - but its not there? is this happening for anyone else and is there a workaround available?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

bigneacy wrote: »
    I got google home and ring doorbell - i'm having trouble getting google to talk to ring - when i tell it to it tells me to add the device on the home app - but its not there? is this happening for anyone else and is there a workaround available?

I don't see the Ring doorbell in the list as a device you can add to Google home

I don't see the Ring doorbell in the list as a device you can add to Google home

Try this link.
    Open in google assistant and choose link option

https://assistant.google.com/services/a/id/7274b3bf787d255e

yeah, essentially thats my problem. i've been told it does connect to it, and the home's response to me telling it to talk to ring is that it needs to be linked via the google home app. but as you said, its not on the list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Try this link.

I was actually already linked. It really doesn't do much though, last motion time and device health.

It would be great to be able to use the Home as a chime or cast the Ring to the TV. I have a stringify flow that flickers my sorting room hue lights when there's motion on the Ring, works well. I have a chime in the kitchen but could move it elsewhere if the home could chime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Took the plunge last night and got a second Google home and 2 minis on offer. Will use second home in kitchen and minis in bedroom.

Setup also with a TP-LINK 130 to be expanded later with more lights

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,006 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I'm having a strange issue which I can't quite figure out. I have two Yeelights in the living room- one as the main light and one in a lamp. The GH unit in the living room is the larger unit with a mini in the kitchen and one upstairs. The Home unit couldn't turn on or off the lamp. It had no issues with the main and could even change the colour of the lamp- just not turn it off. The weird thing is I could turn off the lamp from the mini in the kitchen.
    I reset the bulbs, rebooted the GH unit, unlinked and relinked the actions but it still flat out refuses to turn the lamp on/off.

Any suggestions? It was working fine up until yesterday.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

So I'm now having a strange issue with my Google Home/Mini's

Me: Hey Google, Play Christmas FM (Or any radio station or Spotify)
    Google: OK Playing xxxx
    No sound from the Home or Mini
    Me: Hey Google, What's Playing
    Google: Nothing playing at the moment.

Any Ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭jogdish

mik_da_man wrote: »

Any Ideas?
    Think this happened to me once, check Tunein, somethings it just stalls on getting the station. Also check what the mini thinks you are saying to double check

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

mik_da_man wrote: »

Any Ideas?

I had this yesterday with my sitting room speaker. Turns out it was playing on the speaker in my kitchen. For some reason my sitting room speaker was no longer in the 'all speakers' group!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,784 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭moonboy52

Charlie19 wrote: »

Never heard of that Bulb.

If cost is a factor then the Xiaomi Yeelight's are great, but a few weeks wait from the Chinese sites.

EDIT: don't know if they are a rebrand or what but i can't see electriQ in Google Home

moonboy52 wrote: »
    Never heard of that Bulb.

If cost is a factor then the Xiaomi Yeelight's are great, but a few weeks wait from the Chinese sites.

EDIT: don't know if they are a rebrand or what but i can't see electriQ in Google Home

I was looking at Yeelight in that other thread but ideally I'd want them this side of Christmas. So that rules them out.

This bullet pointed on the ElectriQ site:
    Works with Amazon Echo, Alexa Google Home so you can control the light with your voice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭moonboy52

Charlie19 wrote: »
    I was looking at Yeelight in that other thread but ideally I'd want them this side of Christmas. So that rules them out.

This bullet pointed on the ElectriQ site:

I looked at the site, but in the Google Home app there is no entry for electriQ.

Could be mistaken, but would hate you to buy something not compatible

Try this link.

That's it. Thanks a million! I really hope more functionality comes to it soon

• Advertisement

moonboy52 wrote: »
    I looked at the site, but in the Google Home app there is no entry for electriQ.

Could be mistaken, but would hate you to buy something not compatible

Yeah I might just go the safer route and buy the Phillips.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Hey all got the google home last week amazed at howbeasy to set up. Had no problem telly it to play john wick, pepoa pig etc on Netflix and up it pops. Then 2 days ago I start hearing " I looked for .... But it isn't available or I can't play it right now" any ideas?

Is it possible to factory reset these?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »
    Hold the mute button on the big one until it tells you it's going to reset. Not sure about the little one.

Yeah it's the mini one I have. Thought I saw it in settings before but can't see it now.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »
    Button near where it plugs in apparently.

https://support.google.com/googlehome/answer/7073477?hl=en

Bingo.

Thanks.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭kkhornet

Received my home last night and got it set up. Only have a CC at the minute so not a lot I can do but what's stumping me is Netflix. I can't get it to work at all no matter what voice commands I try to use.
    It either keeps telling me whatever cannot be played or whatever can't do they right now.
    Anybody any ideas how to help.
    I've read through this entire thread before I got the home and don't want to go the whole way back through it

kkhornet wrote: »
    Received my home last night and got it set up. Only have a CC at the minute so not a lot I can do but what's stumping me is Netflix. I can't get it to work at all no matter what voice commands I try to use.
    It either keeps telling me whatever cannot be played or whatever can't do they right now.
    Anybody any ideas how to help.
    I've read through this entire thread before I got the home and don't want to go the whole way back through it

Did you link your netflix account in the google home app?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭wingnut32

Set up mine last night and I have to say its fantastic. Had a few people over and it was the star of the show. Couple of things though:

I cant seem to set it up to make calls and it did take me a couple of goes to set up the second GH and CCA. I cant get the TP Link plug to finish the installation. Im wondering if this is down to the asus router?

Advertisement