Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Home FAQ

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

DrZeuss wrote: »
    Damn you Google.... it seems they removed chaining of 2 commands now.
    I had a load of 2 barrel shortcuts set up :mad:

It had some trouble with single commands for ,e this morning(along with the commute question again which I referred to earlier).

I have a shortcut command "good morning" to turn on the downstairs lights. When I used it this morning I just got a "Good morning.." back and she started telling me the weather etc. Tried a few times but didnt work.

Its gotten very glitchy in the last week or so. it was a breath of fresh air after coming over from the Echo but its feeling more and more like it as the days go on.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,942 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

You could try Shortcuts with Stringify, allows you to do multiple actions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

adox wrote: »
    It had some trouble with single commands for ,e this morning(along with the commute question again which I referred to earlier).

I have a shortcut command "good morning" to turn on the downstairs lights. When I used it this morning I just got a "Good morning.." back and she started telling me the weather etc. Tried a few times but didnt work.

Its gotten very glitchy in the last week or so. it was a breath of fresh air after coming over from the Echo but its feeling more and more like it as the days go on.

Good morning is a default Google home command that reads news weather etc, I've used it every morning for months. You'll need to use another shortcut phrase

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭thecivvie

Good morning is a default Google home command that reads news weather etc, I've used it every morning for months. You'll need to use another shortcut phrase

I use Good Morning to turn on all my lights. Only seems to work from my Mini in the bedroom. In the living room it does the news weather etc

Join Ireland Weather Network

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

It’s worked in the past. It’s only recently stopped.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,942 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Yes, I've also over-riden Good morning and Good Night with my own shortcuts that make use of Stringify to do multiple steps. Seems to work fine for me, but might be better to avoid clashes with defaults shortcuts like these if you are having issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BattlingCheese

Consensus on the Google forums seems to be they are changing or testing a lot of things in the background at the moment in advance of the routines functionally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,784 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I just have 1 GH set up in the living room and its working great with Gplay, radio and the usual commands. It also works well with my heating (nest).

Hue starter pack ordered... So

Any other little gems, I should consider?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BattlingCheese

Seems Google pushed an update overnight and stringing commands are back and a new issue of all google minis responding to requests. A reboot of the devices from within the GH app has fixed it. So make sure you reboot all your devices .

Play and Pause functionality is added too via long press volume buttons. The center tap button seems to be doomed to be never used since the issue at launch

https://www.theverge.com/2017/12/8/16754308/google-home-mini-play-pause-functions-added-back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Charlie19 wrote: »
    I just have 1 GH set up in the living room and its working great with Gplay, radio and the usual commands. It also works well with my heating (nest).

Hue starter pack ordered... So

Any other little gems, I should consider?

Logitech Harmony hub. I have the things you mentioned above plus the Harmony so now one voice command turns everything on and shuts it all down when leaving. Dead handy and lazy :-)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Interesting project here, that allows you to set up Google Home to work with Kodi. It's a little bit more hassle to set up than your standard IFFT piece, and as it stands you'll need a few applets, but it works fine (well on the one command I tried).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭MickH503

Thanks for all the good info on here folks.
    If I wanted to get into the Google Home world, do I need a Home to start with or can I start with one or 2 Home minis only? What's the drawback of doing that if it's possible?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,784 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

ixoy wrote: »
    Interesting project here, that allows you to set up Google Home to work with Kodi. It's a little bit more hassle to set up than your standard IFFT piece, and as it stands you'll need a few applets, but it works fine (well on the one command I tried).

Look at you...

fair play on getting Kodi to work, I cant even get Netflix to work.

Keep getting response of not available in your region.

Its a pity that you cant retrain the device to respond to a different command rather than "ok google" or "hey google"

It be a nice touch, if you could make it more personal and change that initial command to whatever you want.

Also like nearly every time i communicate with google home my phone also reacts to the "ok google" thats a bit of a pain.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Look at you...

fair play on getting Kodi to work, I cant even get Netflix to work.

Keep getting response of not available in your region.
    Nobody outside of supported territories can get it to work at the moment - so pretty much nobody on this thread! It's a known issue and apparently with Netflix and Google to sort out.
    It is kind of funny though we can get Kodi, an open source platfrom, to work but not Netflix (licencing being likely the main reason).

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭DoubleJoe7

I set up an IFTTT applet for Google assistant to add things to my todoist shopping list. It works on my phone but not via Google home - any ideas for a fix?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭BoardAtWork

How did people get Harmony to work natively with the Home? It seems to be region locked and I can't find Logitech Harmony in the Smart Home Devices list. Will I have to use IFTTT?

How did people get Harmony to work natively with the Home? It seems to be region locked and I can't find Logitech Harmony in the Smart Home Devices list. Will I have to use IFTTT?

Is your language set to English US?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭BoardAtWork

Is your language set to English US?

Yup. Phone is set to English US.

Yup. Phone is set to English US.

What's the Google home set to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭thecivvie

For those with issues adding Philips Hue lights to GH, seems Google added a sync command

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/12/10/google-assistant-adds-command-syncing-smart-home-devices/

Will try next week when my next bulb arrives

Join Ireland Weather Network

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭DoubleJoe7

DoubleJoe7 wrote: »
    I set up an IFTTT applet for Google assistant to add things to my todoist shopping list. It works on my phone but not via Google home - any ideas for a fix?

Update on this - works fine for my wife on her phone and home, but only works for me on Home when I say "grocery list" not "shopping". Strangely both works for her, and for me on the phone only, using same IFTTT set up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Support for Out of Milk now available on GH. Tried it last night and it works fine here. I've been using Out of Milk for the household shopping list for years now and find it brilliant. On GH now you say " OK google, talk to out of milk". And then tell it what to add to your list or change list etc.

https://support.outofmilk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001543231-How-to-set-up-Out-of-Milk-for-Google-Home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,279 ✭✭✭ongarite

thecivvie wrote: »
    For those with issues adding Philips Hue lights to GH, seems Google added a sync command

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/12/10/google-assistant-adds-command-syncing-smart-home-devices/

Will try next week when my next bulb arrives

This is great. If you for new bulbs you had to delete all of them just to add the new ones to GH, which also meant setting up rooms from scratch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 789 ✭✭✭RonnieL

Thinking of getting a new TV - are there any brands/models in particular that might integrate well with my google home/mini?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 789 ✭✭✭RonnieL

grumpygit wrote: »
    RonnieL wrote: »
    I've got a chromecast audio hooked up to an AV receiver in my playroom. It buzzes a bit when it's turned on without music playing though, and having to walk in and turn it on kindof ruins the buzz. Any recommendations on a smart socket i could buy so i could turn on the receiver using google home before sending music to it? Happy to wait for delivery if there's a lower cost alternative from the east.

I had the same noise issue. I was using a RCA cable I already had at home for the connection so I bought an RCA cable from the google store and now there is not a whisper from the speaker when nothing is playing. Bad news is it cost €19.  As for turning the AV receiver on I am using tp link sockets from amazon (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01I3ZCBFK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) which so far are working perfectly, just make sure your receiver does not go into standby when power is turned off and on again
    Thanks for the reply. I have a new cable coming so hopefully that helps. I hadn't even considered the possibility of the receiver going into standby when power is restored, but thankfully it doesn't. I've got smart sockets en route, so all going to plan I'll be sorted when they arrive.

RonnieL wrote: »
    Thinking of getting a new TV - are there any brands/models in particular that might integrate well with my google home/mini?

Well I suppose any TV with Android TV built in, such as most Sony TV's.

But then I wouldn't really recommend buying a TV purely on this basis. Best to buy the best TV you can (in terms of picture quality, etc.) and pair it with a Nvidia Shield TV, that will probably give you the best experience, unless space is a consideration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭petejmk

Hi folks. Received a home as a gift and can't figure out how to get it to stream to Netflix. It keeps telling me it can't see the film or programme. I reset it to change the language to English US and still no joy. Any tips? Thanks.

• Advertisement

petejmk wrote: »
    Hi folks. Received a home as a gift and can't figure out how to get it to stream to Netflix. It keeps telling me it can't see the film or programme. I reset it to change the language to English US and still no joy. Any tips? Thanks.

Netflix is not working for anyone in Ireland. It seems to be an issue around the world for anyone living outside UK/US. Most likely some licensing issue.

Advertisement