Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Home FAQ

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

petejmk wrote: »
    Hi folks. Received a home as a gift and can't figure out how to get it to stream to Netflix. It keeps telling me it can't see the film or programme. I reset it to change the language to English US and still no joy. Any tips? Thanks.

It broke about two weeks ago. It was working fine for months up until the start of December, and it appears to be a worldwide issue (I'm based in Austria). I contacted both Google and Netflix and they're aware of the problem and apparently working on a fix...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,087 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Anyone find any good games on this? I like the trivia and sports quiz, wondering if there's anything else half decent?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

I set a google Assitant IFTTT up for Goodnight activity for my hue lights.

I say "Ok, Google", Goodnight

And it turns off Downstairs lights (Living Room, Kitchen and Hall).

Is there a way to have it Turn off Living Room lights, Kitchen lights and leave the Hall lights at 50%? I could do this on Alexa

On IFTTT it ony allows me to select a room or one light.

Thanks,
    BobbyT28

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭McG

BobbyT28 wrote: »
    I set a google Assitant IFTTT up for Goodnight activity for my hue lights.

I say "Ok, Google", Goodnight

And it turns off Downstairs lights (Living Room, Kitchen and Hall).

Is there a way to have it Turn off Living Room lights, Kitchen lights and leave the Hall lights at 50%? I could do this on Alexa

On IFTTT it ony allows me to select a room or one light.

Thanks,
    BobbyT28

You could use stringify along with IFTTT. I have a "good night" routine that

1) wait 1min and turn off living room lights
    2) immediately turns on hall light to 50% (though I've now got motion sensor there so this has become a bit obsolete)
    3) turns bedroom light on to nightlight (enough for me to see, but dim enough not to wake wife/kids).

McG wrote: »
    You could use stringify along with IFTTT. I have a "good night" routine that

1) wait 1min and turn off living room lights
    2) immediately turns on hall light to 50% (though I've now got motion sensor there so this has become a bit obsolete)
    3) turns bedroom light on to nightlight (enough for me to see, but dim enough not to wake wife/kids).

Don't suppose you have a screen shot for that on Stringfy

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,942 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

If you use Stringify, you don't need to use IFTTT, you can directly connect Stringify to Hue.

It's a little different from how I remembered. I can't get Stringify to log in on my phone so I've got the diagram from website (I can't figured out how to drill down for details there though!)

Receives command from IFTTT
    It sets Living Room to fade out over a minute
    Sets Bedroom to nightlight scene
    Turn off downstairs heating
    Turns On Hallway light
    Sets a timer after which it turns off the hallway light while also doing something with IFTTT (can't remember what that bit is about)

bk wrote: »
    If you use Stringify, you don't need to use IFTTT, you can directly connect Stringify to Hue.

Back when I set it up I'm pretty sure I couldn't make Stringify talk to the Google Home, maybe that's now added.

It's a little different from how I remembered. I can't get Stringify to log in on my phone so I've got the diagram from website (I can't figured out how to drill down for details there though!)

Turns On Hallway light
    Sets a timer after which it turns off the hallway light while also doing something with IFTTT (can't remember what that bit is about)

I just set it up. Just linked my stringfy account.

All I had to do was add the 3 lights and select off for both and 50% brightness for the hall.

Very simple. Didn't need to use IFTTT at all.

Thanks again.
    BobbyT28

Here's Amy Strinigy setup for when I say goodnight to Google.

Living room and kitchen lights turn off and Hall goes to 50%

Thanks again
    BobbyT28

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

bk wrote: »
    You could try Shortcuts with Stringify, allows you to do multiple actions.

Hey bk,

Thanks for the heads up on this, I had looked at it briefly before but didn't look much into it, but since your tip I have set up some nice shortcuts.

With Google's anding of 2 commands:
    Turn on TV (Sky, AV etc) and set TV room lights to 60%

With Stringify:
    Turn on TV (Sky, AV etc),
    Then only if its nighttime:
    turn on white lights to 60%,
    increase brightness of colour light to 50% over 2min,
    Set 1 minute timer,
    Decrease white lights to 10% over 1 minute

And something similar for turning off the TV.

Stringify is pretty impressive :D

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭kkhornet

Success...Netflix is back working for me anyway.
    Tried "hey Google, play <title> on netflix"
    "Sure, playing <title> on netflix"
    Tv came on, programme played. Delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭DoubleJoe7

kkhornet wrote: »
    Success...Netflix is back working for me anyway.
    Tried "hey Google, play <title> on netflix"
    "Sure, playing <title> on netflix"
    Tv came on, programme played. Delighted.

Just came on to post the same thing. Someone posted on the google forum that it was working for them again and sure enough it's back working for me

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

DoubleJoe7 wrote: »
    Just came on to post the same thing. Someone posted on the google forum that it was working for them again and sure enough it's back working for me
    And came on to post the same! Thanks Cristobal Criado Larraguibel !

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭BobPresto

So is it just working on the Chromecast?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,784 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

So this fix for Chromecast and netflix, does it actually change to the correct the hdmi channel?

Charlie19 wrote: »
    So this fix for Chromecast and netflix, does it actually change to the correct the hdmi channel?

Yep. Wife was watching something else on the tv when I asked to play Netflix and started giving out about changing the channel.
    Was worth it though to see Netflix working

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭moonboy52

Yay, it's back :)

Still no joy using Shield TV but HDMI auto switches to my gen 1 CC, no probs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »
    That wouldn't switch ports on a dumb telly would it?

Well there's nothing smart about my tv and it switches

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Turns On Hallway light

It's a bit of pain having to say first "Speak to Stringify" to run a flow! Just feels like a bit of an effort compared to Alexa Skills

Is there a way that you don't have to say "Speak to Stringify" before you run a flow?

THanks again
    BobbyT28

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭postsnthing

Patww79 wrote:

It can be very hit and miss it uses CEC and used to work great on a TV for me but now doesn't work at all with no changes on my end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

It's a bit of pain having to say first "Speak to Stringify" to run a flow! Just feels like a bit of an effort compared to Alexa Skills

Is there a way that you don't have to say "Speak to Stringify" before you run a flow?

THanks again
    BobbyT28

Yeah, set up a shortcut in the Home app. I just have to say good night, and the that runs my good night Stringify flow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Saying "Hey Google, tell Stringify Goodnight" in one go works as well if you had lots of flows and didn't want to create shortcuts for them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭DoubleJoe7

Anyone else's reminders acting up?

My wife is the second account on ours, when she sets a reminder it says done, but it isn't set to her calendar and she never gets it.

Meanwhile, when I ask Google Home about my day it tells me about old reminders I've marked as done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 485 ✭✭ninjasurfer1

Does anyone know how to link to the harmony hub?
    When I tell it to talk to it, it says to link the account from the app but the link button does nothing (its the same for stringify).

I've changed the region to the USA but no joy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Does anyone know how to link to the harmony hub?
    When I tell it to talk to it, it says to link the account from the app but the link button does nothing (its the same for stringify).

I've changed the region to the USA but no joy.

Have you tried asking through the assistant on your phone? It should respond with an option on screen to link the account (This is how it worked for Stringify for me)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 485 ✭✭ninjasurfer1

Have you tried asking through the assistant on your phone? It should respond with an option on screen to link the account (This is how it worked for Stringify for me)

Hi atomic, that's what I tried alright but when I click on the link account button on the Google assistant it just greys out and does nothing.
    I've seen others online have the same issue so wondering if anyone here had the same issue and if they managed to fix it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭jogdish

I have a belkin weemoo plug,

The Google home is very spotty in trying to control it, its either:
    1- very slow to turn on/off the socket.
    2- tells me it cannot find the seocket on my network
    3- reports some error in trying to control devices.

In all the above, the weemoo app on my phone just works, no issues. Is there a way to make to GH work better with my weemoo smart plug.

Advertisement