Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Home FAQ

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭Caillte

jogdish wrote: »
    I have a belkin weemoo plug,

The Google home is very spotty in trying to control it, its either:
    1- very slow to turn on/off the socket.
    2- tells me it cannot find the seocket on my network
    3- reports some error in trying to control devices.

In all the above, the weemoo app on my phone just works, no issues. Is there a way to make to GH work better with my weemoo smart plug.

Ihave a wemo and using the native app i have the same problems. I doubt this is a google home issue. I think Belkin have given up on wemo...

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭kkhornet

Anyone get the broadcast function to work from your phone to home???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭thecivvie

kkhornet wrote: »

I use it , UK english. Never tried it remotely

Join Ireland Weather Network

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Bored Accountant

Yes, it has worked with no problem for me. If I say "broadcast, I'm on my way home", it goes and announces that 'Bored Accountant' is on the way home.

If it doesn't understand what I said, it just plays a clip of my message on the GH.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭postsnthing

kkhornet wrote:

Also if you open Google assistant on the app and press the rectangle in bottom left and type broadcast and then type your message home assistant will speak your message

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,087 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Yes, you can either broadcast a text or voice message. Works very well.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 789 ✭✭✭RonnieL

Tyson Fury wrote: »

I had great craic with this a few weeks ago when I was at work. My wife had sent me a picture of some baking she had done with the kids. They went nuts when google started commenting on how good their baking smelt etc. Had them going for ages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭moonboy52

Try:

Broadcast "It's Dinner time"

or

Broadcast "It's time to wake up"

or

Broadcast "It's time to leave"

For fun broadcasts :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,942 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Hi atomic, that's what I tried alright but when I click on the link account button on the Google assistant it just greys out and does nothing.
    I've seen others online have the same issue so wondering if anyone here had the same issue and if they managed to fix it.

Do you have an ad blocker turned on in your web browser or OS, that can block these sorts of links sometimes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Also if you open Google assistant on the app and press the rectangle in bottom left and type broadcast and then type your message home assistant will speak your message

Do you mean from the home app or the assistant app

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,942 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Do you mean from the home app or the assistant app

I mean the default web browser for your mobile, probably Chrome for Android and Safari for iOS. The setting for the ad blocker maybe at OS setting level, it is on iPhone, I do t know about Android.

The home and assistant apps are likely using the OS's default web renderer behind the scenes.

Might not be the issue, just a guess, but I had a very similar issue that was fixed by switching off add blocking temporarily in iOS settings.

bk wrote: »
    I mean the default web browser for your mobile, probably Chrome for Android and Safari for iOS. The setting for the ad blocker maybe at OS setting level, it is on iPhone, I do t know about Android.

The home and assistant apps are likely using the OS's default web renderer behind the scenes.

Might not be the issue, just a guess, but I had a very similar issue that was fixed by switching off add blocking temporarily in iOS settings.

Jesus, I'm missing something stupid sorry, I can't see from the home app, or the assistant app, how I can get a text sentence broadcast to Google home spekajer ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,087 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Jesus, I'm missing something stupid sorry, I can't see from the home app, or the assistant app, how I can get a text sentence broadcast to Google home spekajer ?

From the assistant app hit the box in the bottom left.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 485 ✭✭ninjasurfer1

Do you have an ad blocker turned on in your web browser or OS, that can block these sorts of links sometimes.

Hi bk,
    no, I use Chrome by default. The link is within the Google assistant app itself.
    When I ask Google home to talk to Logitech or stringify, it says I can link accounts within the home assistant app. When I open the app, there's a message saying to click on the link (within the app) to link to Logitech (or spotify).
    When I click on the link button, it just Greys out and hangs.
    Any ideas on what else I can try?

From the assistant app hit the box in the bottom left.

The box in the bottom left is a home icon ?

The box in the bottom left is a home icon ?

It's a Grey icon in the shape of a rectangle with dots in it (Google Assistant)

moonboy52 wrote: »
    It's a Grey icon in the shape of a rectangle with dots in it (Google Assistant)

Sorted Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 898 ✭✭✭OREGATO

Quick question on Netflix with GA. I can successfully launch Netflix and play a tv show such as 'Stranger things' or 'Peppa Pig' for the little one however, today I tried 'Miracle on 34th Street' and it said it could not find it or it wasn't available. It's definitely available on Netflix and when I got to 'My Activity' I see the title is spot on - any ideas?

thecivvie wrote: »
    I use it , UK english. Never tried it remotely
    Yes, it has worked with no problem for me. If I say "broadcast, I'm on my way home", it goes and announces that 'Bored Accountant' is on the way home.

If it doesn't understand what I said, it just plays a clip of my message on the GH.
    Try:

Broadcast "It's Dinner time"

or

Broadcast "It's time to wake up"

or

Broadcast "It's time to leave"

For fun broadcasts :)

I've gone through 3 different language settings, various reboots, tried voice and text and nothing. Can't get it to work at all for some reason

I've gone through 3 different language settings, various reboots, tried voice and text and nothing. Can't get it to work at all for some reason

Somehow it's now working. Havnt changed a thing. Just tried it and its sorted

• Advertisement

Hi bk,
    no, I use Chrome by default. The link is within the Google assistant app itself.

I know, but many apps are just wrappers around webpages and they use the OS built in web renderer to display pages within the Google Assistant app and that this can be effected by ad blockers elsewhere.

In other words Google Assistant and other apps use bits of Chrome inside of them, without you realising it.

Since you use Chrome I assume you are using Android?

Thus the OS built in web renderer is Chrome/Blink if it is a newer version of Android. I don't use Android myself but you should Google how to temporarily switch off any ad blockers you might have installed.

Doing so fixed this issue for me (on iPhone). It might not be the issue you have, but worth checking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

OREGATO wrote: »
    Quick question on Netflix with GA. I can successfully launch Netflix and play a tv show such as 'Stranger things' or 'Peppa Pig' for the little one however, today I tried 'Miracle on 34th Street' and it said it could not find it or it wasn't available. It's definitely available on Netflix and when I got to 'My Activity' I see the title is spot on - any ideas?

Seeing the same issue with certain movies, for example it doesn't find back to the future.

Seeing the same issue with certain movies, for example it doesn't find back to the future.

Just tried it there, it only plays part 1, not 2 or 3.

No joy on Miracle on 34th Street either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Just tried it there, it only plays part 1, not 2 or 3.

No joy on Miracle on 34th Street either

It wouldn't play part 1 when it was first released so maybe takes a while for it to sync with newer titles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 898 ✭✭✭OREGATO

Thanks for the replies and confirmation lads. I guess when I'm showing people what it can do, I'll stick with Stranger Things for now :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

Anyone else experience their google home seeming to enter "listening mode" (alert sound, lights on) despite no-one saying "hey google"? Happened a few times now in the last 2 or 3 days, not noticed before....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭OnDraught

kenmc wrote: »
    Anyone else experience their google home seeming to enter "listening mode" (alert sound, lights on) despite no-one saying "hey google"? Happened a few times now in the last 2 or 3 days, not noticed before....

Yeah, mine has been doing this. It has been really buggy all week. If I ask it to play a song it plays the wrong artist and song until I reset it.

I've seen it happen a few times due to Google Home ads on TV.

Yeah happens randomly if watching tv but there would be no mention of "hey google" or anything similar. Completely random

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

I've seen it happen a few times due to Google Home ads on TV.

Happened for us with no TV on at all, not even in the same room anyway

Advertisement