Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Home FAQ

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

We get it happening completely randomly as well, been happening for a long time tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

she's beginning to piss me off a bit tbh. besides the accent changing around a bit, sometimes you have to tell it exactly the same thing 3 or 4 times before it actually gets it right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BattlingCheese

kenmc wrote: »
    she's beginning to piss me off a bit tbh. besides the accent changing around a bit, sometimes you have to tell it exactly the same thing 3 or 4 times before it actually gets it right.

Check your google activity page in your google account. You can listen to recordings of what the device is picking up everytime you use it. It might not be picking up correctly due to position, dust or mic could be faulty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BattlingCheese

Patww79 wrote: »
    Anyone at all? Anyone able to do it?

Don't think it's possible but is definitely on the wish list.
    I do a workaround where i have a house group of all 3 devices.
    I ask to play my podcast on this group.
    Then mute the devices in the rooms i am not in then unmute as i move rooms.

Say "Hey Google, change volume on Bedroom" GH will respond with the music level and ask what you want it set to. Say "zero" or whatever volume you want.
    Repeat when you want to bring volume back up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

Anyone able to get LMFM play on the home on tunein?

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

Not at the moment. It worked up until the last week or so. At one point it would only play when you asked for 'Louth Meath FM' and then it switched to asking for 'LMFM'. I expect it's a change that Tunein have made and that it'll be back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

Not at the moment. It worked up until the last week or so. At one point it would only play when you asked for 'Louth Meath FM' and then it switched to asking for 'LMFM'. I expect it's a change that Tunein have made and that it'll be back.

I’ve only gotten it to work by saying “play 95.8 FM”. The radio has been a bit spotty. I’d ask it to play a station and it would say “ok playing newstalk fm” and then just silence and then other times it works fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Patww79 wrote: »
    Ah right, cheers. That sounds like a good workaround for it anyway, I'll give it a go.

Create you speaker group like 'Up Stairs'

Then say

Play
    Chart music
    On Spotify(optional for me)
    On Up Stairs

I believe the important word is 'on'

Rename your group to make it sound better i.e. 'Up Stairs Speakers'

Then
    'Play Abba on up stairs speakers'

Works for me, have 2 minis up stairs and two full homes down stairs and have 3 groups.

Upstairs
    Downstairs
    All Speakers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 485 ✭✭ninjasurfer1

Hi,

Has anyone come across the issue where they cannot link a google home (mini) and the home assistant app?

When I ask the mini to talk to harmony, it says to link harmony to google from within the app.

It then shows a link to link harmony (within the app) and when I click on it, the screen goes slightly darker (as if its doing something in the background) but it never links to the assistant.

It appears to be a known issue but I cannot find anything online on how to fix it.

Any ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

I had similar when I tried linking my wife's account to the Ourgroceries app - had worked fine on my phone (both Android).
    Logged her in on the home app on my work iPhone and it worked fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭54and56

Black Friday pricing back on the Google Store UK.

£34 for Google Mini - https://store.google.com/gb/product/google_home_mini?hl=en-GB

£89 for Google Home - https://store.google.com/gb/product/google_home?hl=en-GB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,839 ✭✭✭AngelaRI

Black Friday pricing back on the Google Store UK.

£34 for Google Mini - https://store.google.com/gb/product/google_home_mini?hl=en-GB

£89 for Google Home - https://store.google.com/gb/product/google_home?hl=en-GB

Yeah I got an email from Google Store about a week ago with the deal - Christmas special. I bought 2 more minis at the reduced price so now my entire home (except the guest bedroom) is within voice reach of Google Assistant via GH. Did the whole Parcel Motel thing again, as the GHs are only available on the UK store and ship only to UK addresses.

The biggest irony is that they're shipping from DUBLIN!
    Ordered from
    Google Commerce Ltd
    Gordon House, Barrow Street
    Dublin 4
    Ireland
    Originally £49, now £34 each. Offer valid starting 10 December 2017 12am PT through 31 December 2017 11:59pm PT while supplies last. Offer is non-transferable and not valid for cash or cash equivalent. Void where prohibited. Unless otherwise stated, this offer cannot be combined with other offers. UK residents only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,087 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Yeah that's just the tax avoidance from Google. They're shipped from the UK.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Yeah that's just the tax avoidance from Google. They're shipped from the UK.

Poland I thought ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,087 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Poland I thought ?

Possibly, I thought it was the UK

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Possibly, I thought it was the UK

Only reason I got a replacement nest sent from Poland a few weeks back

• Advertisement

Only reason I got a replacement nest sent from Poland a few weeks back

They all ship quick enough anyway - ordered additional GH minis on Dec-11, shipped Dec-12, and even with a delay reported (I assume the usual Christmas order rush) it was delivered to Parcel Motel on Dec-14! Black Friday first order was delivered (to PM) within 2 days! Very impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭jogdish

Im tempted by the offer to get a mini to join my regular GH, but honestly I dont really need it, can anyone give me a good reason for a second one I may not know about?

Any ideas if there might be a version 2, around Easter? ( 1 year since launch )

• Registered Users Posts: 8 stevedog

Hi All

Santa was a good guy and brought a Home this year. Just wondering are there any particular tips etc that I should be doing during set up to make things run smoother, easier or make it interface with things a bit better.
    Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

stevedog wrote: »
    Hi All

Santa was a good guy and brought a Home this year. Just wondering are there any particular tips etc that I should be doing during set up to make things run smoother, easier or make it interface with things a bit better.
    Cheers!

Yes, set the language to English US, this gives you lots of features not available in other regions

Yes, set the language to English US, this gives you lots of features not available in other regions

such as?

jogdish wrote: »
    such as?

It's not officially available here so you need to set it to US to get the full functionality of Logitech Harmony, there are many others

It's not officially available here so you need to set it to US to get the full functionality of Logitech Harmony, there are many others

I set mine to US (after English Ireland was missing loads of features including custom shortcuts), but back to English UK now and I don't see anything different from English US version

AngelaRI wrote: »
    I set mine to US (after English Ireland was missing loads of features including custom shortcuts), but back to English UK now and I don't see anything different from English US version

Just tried by going to English UK and the first command to turn on the sitting room hue lights failed, then the command to turn on my shield using my Harmony remote failed also, had to revert to US.

Yesterday, if i said "ok G, play radio 1" it played rte radio one, today it does bbc radio 1.

Why the change?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Yep switched to US language and now I can control my Hue lighting. Thanks.

Advertisement