Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Home FAQ

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

jogdish wrote: »
    Im tempted by the offer to get a mini to join my regular GH, but honestly I dont really need it, can anyone give me a good reason for a second one I may not know about?

Any ideas if there might be a version 2, around Easter? ( 1 year since launch )

I have a Mini on the bedside locker, after buying a Home for downstairs a few weeks previous.

I use the Mini to control two lights in the bedroom and use it a lot for Spotify and especially Tunein. Nothing better than waking up early on the weekend and asking it to play some music and then dozing offf again.

It’s very close to me when I’m in the bed so usually only use it at lower volumes. It’s perfect for what I want. I had an Echo Dot before switching to Google and wouldn’t even entertain using it for what I use the Mini for. The sound out of the Dot is incredibly tinny. I used it with a Bluetooth speaker and would do the same if I moved it to the bedroom.

I bought it when it was on sale and it was a brilliant buy. Use it as much as the Home pretty much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

Anyone use google mini with a yeelight bulb? I was hoping to enter my room and ask google to turn on the lamp with the yeelight bulb in it but google say its unavailable. Its only when I turn it on myself that google will work with when I ask it to change colours or dim etc. I can also turn it off and on at this stage. So I'm guessing it doesn't have a connection to the bulb after its left off for a certain amount on time and only reconnects when the bulb is manually turned on?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Played the trivia game on it today, very well done! Any other games like that on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭jogdish

Deceided to get a mini while the discount is there, go to the play store, out of stock on all three colours, I asked to join the waiting list.

Will I still get the discount? Is there anywhere else that will sell them now at a similar price and ship to Ireland via parcel motel/address pal? Any ideas how long the wait might be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,087 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Deceided to get a mini while the discount is there, go to the play store, out of stock on all three colours, I asked to join the waiting list.

Will I still get the discount? Is there anywhere else that will sell them now at a similar price and ship to Ireland via parcel motel/address pal? Any ideas how long the wait might be?

Curry's or argos and even John Lewis

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭jogdish

Google Home mini on US play store is only $29!

Apart from the plug being two pin is there any issues using it in Ireland, can it have the UK voice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Google Home mini on US play store is only $29!

Apart from the plug being two pin is there any issues using it in Ireland, can it have the UK voice?

There are no differences other than power supply

Radio Nova no longer working for me on Tunein

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,475 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Anyone use google mini with a yeelight bulb? I was hoping to enter my room and ask google to turn on the lamp with the yeelight bulb in it but google say its unavailable. Its only when I turn it on myself that google will work with when I ask it to change colours or dim etc. I can also turn it off and on at this stage. So I'm guessing it doesn't have a connection to the bulb after its left off for a certain amount on time and only reconnects when the bulb is manually turned on?

Are you turning off the light at the switch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,839 ✭✭✭AngelaRI

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Curry's or argos and even John Lewis

eBay even - shop around, as some of them are just laughable prices... Might be some unwanted Christmas Gifts going at a good bargain though:
    https://www.ebay.ie/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xgoogle+home+mini.TRS0&_nkw=google+home+mini&_sacat=0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭Peckham

Struggling to connect GH to control my Netflix. I'm doing it through my Chromecast, which is listed in Google Home. The video I watched on YouTube said I should see "Photos and Videos" in "More settings", but I can't see that.

Is it a regional thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭garbeth

Have mine setup to control Netflix. First connect your chromecast in more settings... tv and speakers. Then connect Netflix in more settings...videos and photo

• Registered Users Posts: 47 jonnyha

In the Google Home App:
    Settings
    Account Preferences
    Media
    Link Netflix

Did you do that bit?

jonnyha wrote:
    Did you do that bit?

No I didn't. Problem solved.

Thanks!

jonnyha wrote:
    Did you do that bit?

No I didn't. Problem solved.

Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭opus

I've got it working with two yeelight bulbs that I got when they were on sales from the Chinese sites. When I added the 2nd one, had to remove the yeelight account from GH & re-add it before it was willing to see the new addition.

Only use GH to turn them off & on, didn't even know you could change colours, what do you say to work that magic :)

Is there a way to get GH to play the last station you were listening to on Tunein?

Myself and the wife listen to Nova a lot and it has stopped working the last few days. I have to go into the Tunein app to play it and send it to the GH. Is there a way I can get GH to just play the last station it was playing so I dont have to keep using the app(would be handier for my Mrs especially)

I seem to remember reading something on it here before but cant remember if it was for GH or the Echo.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

adox wrote: »
    Is there a way to get GH to play the last station you were listening to on Tunein?

Myself and the wife listen to Nova a lot and it has stopped working the last few days. I have to go into the Tunein app to play it and send it to the GH. Is there a way I can get GH to just play the last station it was playing so I dont have to keep using the app(would be handier for my Mrs especially)

I seem to remember reading something on it here before but cant remember if it was for GH or the Echo.
    Can't you just say 'hey Google, play Radio Nova'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

The last time I tried that it played a french station called radio nova. I think you can play the Irish one by saying "Play radio nova 107FM" but not 100% sure on the exact phrasing

If you did get that to work you could create a shortcut (or are they called nicknames) for it in the google home app.

No it doesnt work anymore. Worked up until a few days ago. Now if I ask it says it cant find it or its not available.

If I could get it to work I wouldnt be asking the question.:)

• Advertisement

Ush1 wrote: »
    Are you turning off the light at the switch?

No it’s never unplugged!

opus wrote: »
    I've got it working with two yeelight bulbs that I got when they were on sales from the Chinese sites. When I added the 2nd one, had to remove the yeelight account from GH & re-add it before it was willing to see the new addition.

Only use GH to turn them off & on, didn't even know you could change colours, what do you say to work that magic :)

You just say ‘Hey Google change the light to blue’

No it doesnt work anymore. Worked up until a few days ago. Now if I ask it says it cant find it or its not available.

If I could get it to work I wouldnt be asking the question.:)

I have had problems with GH recognising LMFM. The only way I got around it was by asking it to play to frequency. “Play 95.8 FM”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,087 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Any good shortcuts that I can't think of?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,942 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Any good shortcuts that I can't think of?

I use shortcuts to trigger complicated Stringify routines, e.g.:

Hey Google, Goodnight

- Turns off all lights after 60 seconds (time to get to bedroom)
    - Turns on bedside lamps
    - Turns off TV
    - Turns off Christmas Tree Lights
    - Sets Thermostat to night mode

Also handy for changing TV channels with Harmony, e.g.

Hey Google, kids TV -> "Hey Google, ask harmony to change channel to x"

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Auroras_encore

Anybody able to get William Hill radio to work?

So tried getting it to play using the FM frequency but that didn’t work and set up a shortcut which didn’t work either. Also unplugged and rebooted the Mini to see if that might sort it but no luck. It was working perfectly up until a few days ago and it’s not getting mixed up with other stations, as in its playing something else. It just says the “radio Nova isn’t available right now.....” all other stations I ask for work.

Can someone do me a favour and see if it plays for them? If it does then at least I know it’s most likely a local problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭Mech1

So tried getting it to play using the FM frequency but that didn’t work and set up a shortcut which didn’t work either. Also unplugged and rebooted the Mini to see if that might sort it but no luck. It was working perfectly up until a few days ago and it’s not getting mixed up with other stations, as in its playing something else. It just says the “radio Nova isn’t available right now.....” all other stations I ask for work.

Can someone do me a favour and see if it plays for them? If it does then at least I know it’s most likely a local problem.

I just tried, not working here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭moonboy52

Can someone do me a favour and see if it plays for them? .

Radio Nova isn't available or can't be played right now on my end too

• Advertisement

Cheers for that. At least I know now it’s not local to me so will have to wait and see if it resolves itself.

Advertisement