Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Home FAQ

Comments

I tried a million and one permutations of Radio Nova Ireland 100FM and couldn't get anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I just searched on tunein website and can't see the Irish radio nova on it. Has it been removed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

matrim wrote: »
    I just searched on tunein website and can't see the Irish radio nova on it. Has it been removed?

Still there for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,060 ✭✭✭OU812

Have found myself using it less & less. After the initial novelty wore off, all we use it for is to turn off the lights. I've one out of three unplugged (had to because of the Xmas tree using that socket. Don't think I'll bother putting it back. I also find the speakers quite "tinny".

I'm also not using my sons as much as I used to, so I might sell the lot & get a HomePod when they come out (will wait for reviews). I use Apple music anyway & have a load of apple devices so it might suit better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,087 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Saying play radio nova 107 fm works for me.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

Tyson Fury wrote: »

Same works for me.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Auroras_encore

Anybody able to get William Hill radio to work?

Anybody 🀔 or racingFM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

adox wrote: »
    Can someone do me a favour and see if it plays for them? If it does then at least I know it’s most likely a local problem.
    Same works for me.

No joy for me, when I ask that above, it picks some Spanish Radio Nova.

Also tried loads of different variations over the last few days, but resorted to casting it from my phone/laptop instead :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

DrZeuss wrote: »
    No joy for me, when I ask that above, it picks some Spanish Radio Nova.

Also tried loads of different variations over the last few days, but resorted to casting it from my phone/laptop instead :(

Yeah same here, a Spanish Radio Nova. Nova in Dublin is on 100.3 anyway not 107.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭thecivvie

I listen to a Russian radio station and could not get my GH to play it on Tunein even though on the app, I could listen.
    So I tried various short cuts which all failed until I tried adding a shortcut with the station name in Russian. Now GH does not speak Russian but I guessed that it was just passing onto Tunein.

So my Alpha shortcut is
    Listen to Радио Альфа Пермь on TuneIn

And now I listening to Radio Alfa from Perm IN Russia.

Not sure if this will help anyone else with Tunein issues but it is possible to get it to work. Even Tunein said it would be impossible to get GH to play it

Join Ireland Weather Network

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭opus

You just say ‘Hey Google change the light to blue’

Thanks, that just worked! I spent an appreciable amount of time this morning randomly changing the colour of the hall light :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭jogdish

Hopefully getting my new GHmini for the kitchen next week.

It will primarily be used as an internet radio, and the main GH is in the very next room. Is there anything cool/things I should know with them being so close? Functions to try given that I now have 2?

jogdish wrote: »

It will primarily be used as an internet radio, and the main GH is in the very next room. Is there anything cool/things I should know with them being so close? Functions to try given that I now have 2?

Broadcast is pretty cool.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭foobar

The broadcast feature is pretty neat, where you can speak into one home device/assistant app and it will be played in all the others devices , although if the rooms are very close there might not be much point :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭Caillte

My GH mini is currently en-route and I intend on using it to play white noise in the baby's room when he wakes up to help him back to sleep remotely via chomecast/spotify.

Caillte wrote: »
    My GH mini is currently en-route and I intend on using it to play white noise in the baby's room when he wakes up to help him back to sleep remotely via chomecast/spotify.

One nice feature is that GH will play white noice and a few other sound effects such as thunder etc with out spotify. Not sure if you can get one GH to issue commands to the the other devices for remote control though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,839 ✭✭✭AngelaRI

Group the speakers. You can still use them individually, but you can also ask google Assistant to play music on the group, and have an unbroken experience as you move from room to room. You music is totally in sync, even when you're asking google so shuffle and skip tracks, I use the grouped speakers all the time between upstairs and downstairs.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

foobar wrote: »
    One nice feature is that GH will play white noice and a few other sound effects such as thunder etc with out spotify. Not sure if you can get one GH to issue commands to the the other devices for remote control though?

I didn't know that! Does it play all night until you stop?

Feck, I'll need to get another Mini for the babies room now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

bk wrote: »

Yeh it's plays until you tell it to stop.

bk wrote: »

I only played them for a short while but the docs say it will turn off after an hour. The list of sounds is also mentioned in the link.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I only played them for a short while but the docs say it will turn off after an hour. The list of sounds is also mentioned in the link.

I went to sleep to the ocean one and woke up to it still playing two hours later so assumed they played until told to stop, must have been a glitch that one time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭micks_address

Yep switched to US language and now I can control my Hue lighting. Thanks.

Where do you set the language preferences? In the Google home app on your phone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Caillte wrote:

You are a genius! I'd never have thought of that! Right so, another one to be ordered!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BattlingCheese

You can also ask it to play all audio for X amount of minutes. "Hey google play whitenoise for 25mins" for example

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭remoteboy

Has anyone managed to link their Google Home with their Harmony hub on iOS? I've followed all the steps but when I get to the final one and click on the Link Account button it just keeps spinning. I've set my language to US but it hasn't made any difference.

AngelaRI wrote: »
    Group the speakers. You can still use them individually, but you can also ask google Assistant to play music on the group, and have an unbroken experience as you move from room to room. You music is totally in sync, even when you're asking google so shuffle and skip tracks, I use the grouped speakers all the time between upstairs and downstairs.

How do you group the speakers?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭moonboy52

How do you group the speakers?

Open Home, go into Devices.

Select a device, click the 3 dots and click create group

moonboy52 wrote: »
    Open Home, go into Devices.

Select a device, click the 3 dots and click create group

Perfect thanks

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Has anyone installed dimmable (or just plain) light bulbs controlled by their GH?

I've seen the Philips Hue ones and there's some cheaper versions. Ikea has a range called 'Tradfri' that last year were supposed to be supported by GH from sometime in 2017, anyone know if that actually happened?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Has anyone installed dimmable (or just plain) light bulbs controlled by their GH?

I've seen the Philips Hue ones and there's some cheaper versions. Ikea has a range called 'Tradfri' that last year were supposed to be supported by GH from sometime in 2017, anyone know if that actually happened?

Not yet.

Though I've some Ikea bulbs connected to my Hue Hub and thus controllable by GH.

Advertisement