Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Home FAQ

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭nialldinho

Hi there

I’m hoping my google Home will arrive this week so trying to think of what I can use it for.

Can it tell me when the next bus is due at my my local stop?

Sorry if asked already. I tried searching but no luck

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BattlingCheese

nialldinho wrote: »
    Hi there

I’m hoping my google Home will arrive this week so trying to think of what I can use it for.

Can it tell me when the next bus is due at my my local stop?

Sorry if asked already. I tried searching but no luck

Thanks

You can, but will need to use a 3rd party add-on called Dublin Bus finder
    https://assistant.google.com/services/a/id/1372f1f9e2353df8/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭niallb

bk wrote: »
    Not yet.

Though I've some Ikea bulbs connected to my Hue Hub and thus controllable by GH.

@bk, do your IKEA bulbs blink completely off for a moment every few hours since you moved them to the Philips hub?

Two of mine do, and do it at the same time which suggests the controller rather than a bulb problem.

Just wondering if it would be worth firing them back directly onto the IKEA hub. I moved them because the Google Hue support upgrade broke the way I had been managing them via OpenHab.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,997 ✭✭✭bren2001

niallb wrote: »
    @bk, do your IKEA bulbs blink completely off for a moment every few hours since you moved them to the Philips hub?

Two of mine do, and do it at the same time which suggests the controller rather than a bulb problem.

Just wondering if it would be worth firing them back directly onto the IKEA hub. I moved them because the Google Hue support upgrade broke the way I had been managing them via OpenHab.

My Ikea bulbs blink intermittently. I've said it a few times on this forum, their integration into Hue doesn't quite work. I'll be replacing mine soon.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,942 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Mine seem to be ok, but I haven't had them long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I bought an IKEA E27 Smart bulb a couple of weeks ago and can't get it to connect to the Hue Bridge at all, how how people been connecting them!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I bought an IKEA E27 Smart bulb a couple of weeks ago and can't get it to connect to the Hue Bridge at all, how how people been connecting them!?

I think they need to be a minimum firmware to connect. If the store bought bulb is below that you need the ikea hub to update the firmware

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭thecivvie

"Hey Google, I want to sing a song with my dog"

Join Ireland Weather Network

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

You can, but will need to use a 3rd party add-on called Dublin Bus finder
    https://assistant.google.com/services/a/id/1372f1f9e2353df8/
    Sorry but how do I install this?

fletch wrote: »
    Sorry but how do I install this?

You don't
    You just need to ask GH to access it.

So say "Hey Google Let me talk to dublin bus finder"
    You have to do this each time you want to access the service as it's not a native function and it's developed by 1 person I believe so not an official Dublin Bus app.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭Peckham

So say "Hey Google Let me talk to dublin bus finder" You have to do this each time you want to access the service as it's not a native function and it's developed by 1 person I believe so not an official Dublin Bus app.

Are there any other similar apps that are worth knowing about? Is there a listing anywhere?

Peckham wrote: »
    Are there any other similar apps that are worth knowing about? Is there a listing anywhere?

There doesn't seem to be a full list online no. It used to be in the Home App but seems region blocked.
    https://support.google.com/googlehome/answer/7126338

you can get to them via your phone.

-Launch Google Assistant on your particular phone (hold down home button on mine)
    -Tap on Blue icon, top right of screen
    -That should open the explore tab with trending services.
    -Scroll all the way down to All categories to see them all.

Most are US only or just terrible.

I use our groceries nearly daily and have booked a flight with kayak once albeit with the website open to make sure it was the best price. It worked but just not for me. Very handy for those with any visual impairments though and something i can see these devices being extremely useful for going forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

You don't
    You just need to ask GH to access it.

So say "Hey Google Let me talk to dublin bus finder"
    You have to do this each time you want to access the service as it's not a native function and it's developed by 1 person I believe so not an official Dublin Bus app.

I can talk to the app, but I'm not able to add a favorite stop.

Is it working for others?

T-b0n3 wrote: »
    I can talk to the app, but I'm not able to add a favorite stop.

Is it working for others?

Nope. Most likely not updated by the creator

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

I have 4 flows setup on Stringify, One I use all the time is Ok Google, Good morning

This triggers, 3 lights downstairs and turns on TV and Amp using Harmony. This has been working fine for the last 3 weeks

All of a sudden last week, Google says sorry but that does'nt match any of your flows and it lists only two them.

I've restart Google and disable and re-enabe flows to no avail.

Any ideas? Anyone else having issues with Stringfy and Google Home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

BobbyT28 wrote: »
    I have 4 flows setup on Stringify, One I use all the time is Ok Google, Good morning

This triggers, 3 lights downstairs and turns on TV and Amp using Harmony. This has been working fine for the last 3 weeks

All of a sudden last week, Google says sorry but that does'nt match any of your flows and it lists only two them.

I've restart Google and disable and re-enabe flows to no avail.

Any ideas? Anyone else having issues with Stringfy and Google Home

Pick a different name, there's a default good morning shortcut in the Google home app which gives weather, news etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭jogdish

I have my mini set up in the kitchen, how worried should I be about steam and its effect on the device?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

jogdish wrote: »
    I have my mini set up in the kitchen, how worried should I be about steam and its effect on the device?

Generally I wouldn't be at all worried, I've a mini and a sonos in kitchen.
    9bviousoy depends on size of kitchen, amount of steam and the placement of the mini. But generally I wouldn't even give it a second thought

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭nialldinho

I’ve been having a look at Stringify. I want to set up a flow with google Home for the morning that sets the kitchen and dining hue bulbs to fade on but also starts playing a radio station. So i can add the bulb actions no problem and a trigger to tell google Home to talk to Stringify. But what do I use to get google home to play the radio station?

Thanks

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Has anyone seen any word on pushing a response back to Google Home from an IFFT action and have it read aloud?

For example, I'd like to be able to look up the next train. I could write some code to call the Irish Rail API and have Google Home invoke it using IFFFT but I can't see any way to push that response back to GHome and have it read out to me. I couldn't see anything on line. Surely it's an obvious feature? Only issue I can think of would be a security one. You can't even really use the broadcast feature in the response.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

ixoy wrote: »
    Has anyone seen any word on pushing a response back to Google Home from an IFFT action and have it read aloud?

For example, I'd like to be able to look up the next train. I could write some code to call the Irish Rail API and have Google Home invoke it using IFFFT but I can't see any way to push that response back to GHome and have it read out to me. I couldn't see anything on line. Surely it's an obvious feature? Only issue I can think of would be a security one. You can't even really use the broadcast feature in the response.

Not seen any way with ifttt but it might be possible through the Google Assistant component of home Assistant. That component allows responses (e.g. I can get the temperature of my thermostat thought it), so if you used the Irish Rail component you might me able to configure something

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

matrim wrote: »
    Not seen any way with ifttt but it might be possible through the Google Assistant component of home Assistant. That component allows responses (e.g. I can get the temperature of my thermostat thought it), so if you used the Irish Rail component you might me able to configure something
    Might give that a try but it's a pain it's not straightforward to just have Google say a phrase with a passed in variable.

Was playing with Stringify on my phone - is it just me or is the interface rubbish? I'm finding it difficult to delete items from flows that I've added. Seems very finicky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

Pick a different name, there's a default good morning shortcut in the Google home app which gives weather, news etc

But it has been working for the last 3-4 weeks without issue.

I'll pick another name and see if that helps. Don't hold out much hope as it doesn't even see it on Stringify as a flow it only list 2 out of 4 flows

Any i'll give it a try and report back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭micks_address

Hi folks,
    Can I control phillips hue bulbs from Google home without hue hub?
    Thanks,
    Mick

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Dumb question and apologies if it's been asked before (couldn't find it here in a search). Can you get the assistant app on the Irish App Store yet (can't find it there), if you need to get it from the UK site how is that done?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,087 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Dumb question and apologies if it's been asked before (couldn't find it here in a search). Can you get the assistant app on the Irish App Store yet (can't find it there), if you need to get it from the UK site how is that done?

Google home needs to be purchased on the playstore UK currently, assistant isn't a app and is already built in to android, you just need to activate it.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭thecivvie

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Google home needs to be purchased on the playstore UK currently, assistant isn't a app and is already built in to android, you just need to activate it.
    Google Home app is on the Irish play store because Chromecast devices are available in Ireland. The Google Assistant app is not, you need to get it from the UK or US app store . I find that the Google Assistant app adds nothing

Join Ireland Weather Network

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

thecivvie wrote: »
    Google Home app is on the Irish play store because Chromecast devices are available in Ireland. The Google Assistant app is not, you need to get it from the UK or US app store . I find that the Google Assistant app adds nothing

For Apple devices, on Android Google assistant is built in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,087 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Google assistant is now also available for anyone who uses android auto. Works well.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Advertisement