Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Home FAQ

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Google assistant is now also available for anyone who uses android auto. Works well.

Been available for a good while now hasn't it on android auto? I've been turning on the heating at home via voice when I sit into the car to leave work for ages now.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Thanks, I should have said for IOS (the google assistant app).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭davegilly

nialldinho wrote: »
    I’ve been having a look at Stringify. I want to set up a flow with google Home for the morning that sets the kitchen and dining hue bulbs to fade on but also starts playing a radio station. So i can add the bulb actions no problem and a trigger to tell google Home to talk to Stringify. But what do I use to get google home to play the radio station?

Thanks

I don't think you can do this yet as TuneIn doesn't work with Stringify or IFTTT. Unless there is a way at the end of the Stringify flow to tell google home to "Play XXX Radio from TuneIn" as tunein works ok with GH??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,087 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Ludo wrote: »
    Been available for a good while now hasn't it on android auto? I've been turning on the heating at home via voice when I sit into the car to leave work for ages now.

Afaia parts of assistant were used but it was mostly Google now.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭nialldinho

davegilly wrote: »
    I don't think you can do this yet as TuneIn doesn't work with Stringify or IFTTT. Unless there is a way at the end of the Stringify flow to tell google home to "Play XXX Radio from TuneIn" as tunein works ok with GH??

Thanks. Thought as much. Stringify only seems to use google home for triggers. So I’ve just been doing the lights etc with the Stringify flow and then asking for the radio after!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

ixoy wrote: »
    Has anyone seen any word on pushing a response back to Google Home from an IFFT action and have it read aloud?

For example, I'd like to be able to look up the next train. I could write some code to call the Irish Rail API and have Google Home invoke it using IFFFT but I can't see any way to push that response back to GHome and have it read out to me. I couldn't see anything on line. Surely it's an obvious feature? Only issue I can think of would be a security one. You can't even really use the broadcast feature in the response.

You could write an Action
    https://developers.google.com/actions/

I am trying to get my head around it and going to try to code something for my heating controls

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭jogdish

Any news on phone calling coming to GH? I heard it was to roll out in late 2017 for UK, but nothing so far.

Would setting mine to US/UK enable phone calling?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Hi folks,
    Can I control phillips hue bulbs from Google home without hue hub?
    Thanks,
    Mick

No, you need the Hue Hub to control them.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Yonomi now works with Google Home. As in you can trigger Yonomi routines from GH.

I've fully moved over to Stringify already, but good to have more options.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭eamondunphy

bk wrote: »
    Yonomi now works with Google Home. As in you can trigger Yonomi routines from GH.

I've fully moved over to Stringify already, but good to have more options.

any flows you recommend? i've google home, nest and philips hue lights in all rooms and 3 motion sensors, am planning on having a look at stringify during the week

• Advertisement

As an example I have a "Hey Google, Good night" flow which -

- Turns off TV if on (Harmony)
    - Turns off all Hue lights gradually over 60 seconds fade.
    - Turns on Hue bedside lamps
    - Turns of Christmas Tree lights (when up)
    - Sets the Thermostat to Night mode (Netatmo).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

As an example I have a "Hey Google, Good night" flow which -

- Turns off TV if on (Harmony)
    - Turns off all Hue lights gradually over 60 seconds fade.
    - Turns on Hue bedside lamps
    - Turns of Christmas Tree lights (when up)
    - Sets the Thermostat to Night mode (Netatmo).

How are you doing the Netatmo bit? Ifttt?

How are you doing the Netatmo bit? Ifttt?

Yes, calling IFTTT from Stringify

Yes, calling IFTTT from Stringify

How are you doing it in ifttt? ðŸ˜
    I don't have an option to set to night mode only away mode or frost guard mode. Or are you just turning the stat off?

How are you doing it in ifttt? ðŸ˜
    I don't have an option to set to night mode only away mode or frost guard mode. Or are you just turning the stat off?

Sorry, yes, I just have it switch back to it's regular schedule, which I've set very conservatively, thus it mostly just switches it off.

As you say, there are other options, switch it to away, frost guard, switch schedule, switch off completely (not recommended due to frost danger) or manually set the temperature lower for a few hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Double C

Can someone please advise me how to control my nVidia Shield with Google Home? I cant seen to get it working. Language is set to English (US), conutry code is IE.

Also, I can't seem to cast to the Shield. When I hit the cast button in Netflix or YouTube it just shows the Chromecasts I have in the house but not the Shield. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ferrigan101

Double C wrote: »
    Can someone please advise me how to control my nVidia Shield with Google Home? I cant seen to get it working. Language is set to English (US), conutry code is IE.

Also, I can't seem to cast to the Shield. When I hit the cast button in Netflix or YouTube it just shows the Chromecasts I have in the house but not the Shield. Thanks

Is the home app seeing the shield? Check that it's showing up in devices in the home app.

Is the home app seeing the shield? Check that it's showing up in devices in the home app.

Just copped what the problem is, I have the Shield hard wired so its not on the wifi. That should solve the problem with the Harmony too!

Double C wrote: »
    Just copped what the problem is, I have the Shield hard wired so its not on the wifi. That should solve the problem with the Harmony too!

It should all be the same subnet, of its not you've made a complete mess of your LAN

It should all be the same subnet, of its not you've made a complete mess of your LAN

Yep, pretty much. Cheers for the help in the PM's.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Does anyone know how to set tunein as the default radio player?
    I had a look through the app but couldn't find it.

I am hoping that I will the be able to say "Hey Google, play Newstalk radio" rather than having to say "Hey Google, play Newstalk radio on Tunein".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

2011 wrote: »

I am hoping that I will the be able to say "Hey Google, play Newstalk radio" rather than having to say "Hey Google, play Newstalk radio on Tunein".

I don't have tune in as default either but don't have to say " on tune in " when I request a station

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,997 ✭✭✭bren2001

TuneIn should be default for you but Newstalk seems tricky for it. For most other stations I can just say, "Hey Google, play FM104" but for Newstalk I typically have to say on TuneIn after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

What's the difference once the radio station plays?

I can just say, "Hey Google, play FM104"
    Ghome struggles a lot with me saying Play FM104. I say
    Play FM 1 O (the letter) 4
    but I was wondering should I say
    Play FM one hundred and four
    or
    Play FM one zero four.
    What do others say?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

There is no difference once it plays. However it sometimes fails to play. It works better if I phrase as above with the “on Tunein” bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭thecivvie

bren2001 wrote: »
    TuneIn should be default for you but Newstalk seems tricky for it. For most other stations I can just say, "Hey Google, play FM104" but for Newstalk I typically have to say on TuneIn after.

Add a short cut in the Google home app. I did that for a Russian radio station. I just say alpha and Google home tells Tunein "Listen to Радио Альфа Пермь"
    Shortcuts are great

Join Ireland Weather Network

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,997 ✭✭✭bren2001

fletch wrote: »
    What's the difference once the radio station plays?

Ghome struggles a lot with me saying Play FM104. I say
    Play FM 1 O (the letter) 4
    but I was wondering should I say
    Play FM one hundred and four
    or
    Play FM one zero four.
    What do others say?

Haha, I don't actually listen to FM104, I usually only listen to RTE and Newstalk but RTE is just "play radio 1". I feel I picked a terrible example.
    thecivvie wrote: »
    Add a short cut in the Google home app. I did that for a Russian radio station. I just say alpha and Google home tells Tunein "Listen to Радио Альфа Пермь"
    Shortcuts are great

I've been meaning too but have not been bothered to see how it works. Same way I need to learn how to use Stringify, I will eventually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

I say play Newstalk Dublin and it plays it straight away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

I say play Newstalk Radio and it plays without an issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

I have noticed recently though (last 3-4 days) that Google has had issues asking/telling harmony and Stringdy things. Get a various replies letting me know it's not possible.

GH has become a little hit and miss recently.

Advertisement