Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Home FAQ

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭thecivvie

I've always been able to pause netfix etc with my Google home?

So can I but never YouTube which is what I mentioned.

Of course it could be only just enabled on mine whilst you have had it for.ages

Join Ireland Weather Network

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,784 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Any updates on when it will be available in Ireland?

It be fairly cool to make calls, texts and whatsapp ext.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭nialldinho

Is there a command to send audio that is currently playing on one speaker to other speakers in the group?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Patww79 wrote: »
    It never will. They focus on just a few markets these days.

When apple and Amazon start doing it Google will follow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭jogdish

When apple and Amazon start doing it Google will follow

I don't think it's that simple. If it were to be sold in Ireland that would mean Google saying it works in Ireland - and from what I know the GH has only been set up to with english accents from north america and UK - yes of course it works just fine here but it's not offiically supported. Also I am willing to bet there is a whole load of other backend stuff that is optimised for use in the UK. Add to that voice calling, which would need netwrk agreements. I just don't think it's worth there while selling it in ireland officially.

jogdish wrote: »
    I don't think it's that simple. If it were to be sold in Ireland that would mean Google saying it works in Ireland - and from what I know the GH has only been set up to with english accents from north america and UK - yes of course it works just fine here but it's not offiically supported. Also I am willing to bet there is a whole load of other backend stuff that is optimised for use in the UK. Add to that voice calling, which would need netwrk agreements. I just don't think it's worth there while selling it in ireland officially.

The accent thing is no more of an issue here than it is in the UK with varying different accents.

Home pretty much works here out of the box, there is very little if anything that doesn't work, bar a few radio stations etc. There is or would be very little work required to officially launch it here imho.

Network agreements, you mean the same agreements the likes of Skype, Viber etc have for "outward" calling to landlines ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭niallb

Confirmed!
    So long as I set the device to be type "Lamp", IR works for my TV, radio and some IR remote lamps from Maplin.
    OREGATO wrote: »

Hopefully the broadlink will be able to do IR signals over Google home soon.

I think you might be able to 'fool' it to do IR signals via Google Home. Will try and report back

The accent thing is no more of an issue here than it is in the UK with varying different accents.

Home pretty much works here out of the box, there is very little if anything that doesn't work, bar a few radio stations etc. There is or would be very little work required to officially launch it here imho.

Network agreements, you mean the same agreements the likes of Skype, Viber etc have for "outward" calling to landlines ?

I'm not saying that these are big hurdles, it's just such a small market. Also given the slow pace of advancments with GH it doesnt seem to have the same push that Alexa gets, and that's still only UK.

I'm not saying that these are big hurdles, it's just such a small market. Also given the slow pace of advancments with GH it doesnt seem to have the same push that Alexa gets, and that's still only UK.

Slow pace in advancements ?

In under two years, there has been the product launch, multiple feature add in, including multi user accounts, broadcast, tonnes of addiotnal device support, routines/shortcuts, two new hardware devices, voice calling (in us canada only though), and prob lots more....that's far from what I would term slow pace

• Advertisement

Slow pace in advancements ?

In under two years, there has been the product launch, multiple feature add in, including multi user accounts, broadcast, tonnes of addiotnal device support, routines/shortcuts, two new hardware devices, voice calling (in us canada only though), and prob lots more....that's far from what I would term slow pace
    True, but for someone the size of google with their resources there are fair few things it has trouble with - change wake word*, option to mute replies, reminders still give me trouble, how on earth it cannot do one of the many voice calling apps G own is insane.
    Perhaps I'm just grumpy :)

*that might be a security issue

True, but for someone the size of google with their resources there are fair few things it has trouble with - change wake word*, option to mute replies, reminders still give me trouble, how on earth it cannot do one of the many voice calling apps G own is insane.
    Perhaps I'm just grumpy :)

*that might be a security issue

I think the wake word is just down to marketing, nothing else, annoying as it is.

Has anyone else noticed that broadcast from the app is not working? Not sure if even ghm to GH is

• Registered Users Posts: 47 jonnyha

thecivvie wrote: »
    Has anyone else noticed that broadcast from the app is not working? Not sure if even ghm to GH is

Seems to be working okay for me. Both by voice and text.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I used it last night although it did include the broadcast command in the message

matrim wrote: »
    I used it last night although it did include the broadcast command in the message

Trying it here and no go. Driving me nuts

Trying it here and no go. Driving me nuts

Oh, err do not disturb was set. I was trying it after 10pm because it quietens my dogs

Oh, err do not disturb was set. I was trying it after 10pm because it quietens my dogs

I think the really cool thing about broadcast, is it even works outside the house, I can broadcast a message from work etc

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I think the really cool thing about broadcast, is it even works outside the house, I can broadcast a message from work etc

Yes a great way to scare the OH and kids :D

Wow that's a great idea! Do you do that using the Google Home or Google Assistant app?

• Advertisement

Wow that's a great idea! Do you do that using the Google Home or Google Assistant app?

Google assistant I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I was trying it after 10pm because it quietens my dogs

That's exactly what I was using it for last night too. The dog was going mad running around the place downstairs and I was able to broadcast to tell her to go to calm down without getting out of bed :)

Google assistant I think

If I'm away from home, Incan do it from my phone by just saying "hey Google broadcast honey I'm home" :-)

Or I can type it into the Google Assistant app either and it comes out in the homes own voce rather than mine

Just a small step away from being able to have a conversation in reality

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Patww79 wrote: »

They are specific to the device that you set it on.

If I'm away from home, Incan do it from my phone by just saying "hey Google broadcast honey I'm home" :-)

Or I can type it into the Google Assistant app either and it comes out in the homes own voce rather than mine

Just a small step away from being able to have a conversation in reality

Done similar, it's great! :)
    Wish it would tie up with 'allo' the Google messaging app that is good but no one uses. Would be nice to get the response from the Home to your phone and so on.

Done similar, it's great! :)
    Wish it would tie up with 'allo' the Google messaging app that is good but no one uses. Would be nice to get the response from the Home to your phone and so on.

Yeah me too. Amazon Alexa does messaging and calls etc, and I would bet the Apple device will do the while lot too, and to a wider geographic area, so hopefully now competition will spur these things on

Yeah me too. Amazon Alexa does messaging and calls etc, and I would bet the Apple device will do the while lot too, and to a wider geographic area, so hopefully now competition will spur these things on

Actually the new Apple Homepod speaker is due to be launched in two weeks in the US. They already have said that it will support whatsapp, wechat, etc.

So given the competition I suspect it is only a matter of time before GH follows suit.

bk wrote: »
    Actually the new Apple Homepod speaker is due to be launched in two weeks in the US. They already have said that it will support whatsapp, wechat, etc.

So given the competition I suspect it is only a matter of time before GH follows suit.
    Google previously committed to calling on UK HOMES before the end of 2017 :( Google are not the best at rolling finished products.

• Advertisement

Google previously committed to calling on UK HOMES before the end of 2017 :( Google are not the best at rolling finished products.

The beauty of these products is that they are never really finished. New features can be rolled out to the servers every few months without needing to buy new hardware or install anything. My GH has come on leaps and bounds since I first bought it. Given how cheap they are it is pretty amazing what they can do.

Advertisement