Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Home FAQ

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭RunDMC

Google just added multi-profile support for Netflix on Assistant. In the Home app, choose Settings, More Settings, Video and Photos and you should see a manage profiles. If you have Voice Match set up, it will use the associated profile on Netflix. No more "Because you watch My Little Pony...."!

R

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭ForestFire

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭jogdish

ForestFire wrote: »
    I hope so! and they have native alex->alexa calling build in, cmon Google!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭seanvox

Any ideas why the bottom two options are greyed out? I'm on Android 5.1.1

Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

seanvox wrote: »
    Any ideas why the bottom two options are greyed out? I'm on Android 5.1.1

Thanks!

What language is your phone set to?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭RunDMC

My devices set to "English (Ireland)" are the same, set the language to "English (United Kingdom)".

R

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭nialldinho

I’m having a problem with Spotify premium family.

My wife and I have voice match set up on assistant and I have just unlinked Spotify from both google assistants and relinked it using our separate Spotify accounts.

However, i was listening to Spotify on my phone and my wife asked google Home to play something. It switched my account to what she requested and I got a pop up on my phone saying that I was now playing my wife’s choice on the google Home speaker instead of my phone.

I assume that is because my account is the main Spotify account but I thought linking separately would resolve this.

Any ideas?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭ForestFire

nialldinho wrote: »
    I’m having a problem with Spotify premium
    Any ideas?

Thanks

Have you tested if the voice recognition works?

If you ask Google you age or name does it get it right?
    If your wife asks the same does it get it right for her?

If a "stranger" (No GH account) asks to play music on spotify, does it use your spotify account as you are the main user?

What I'm getting at is, does GH not recognise your wife when she asks for music?

If she plays it from her phone and casts to GH does it affect your listening?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭nialldinho

ForestFire wrote: »

If a "stranger" (No GH account) asks to play music on spotify, does it use your spotify account as you are the main user?

I think this IS it. I was just looking at the devices in my GH app and the new minis weren’t linked to her account. I had assumed it would all flow through from the main GH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Im becoming more and more frustrated with my Home and Mini. They seem to be slowly turning into echos with their unreliability.

More often than not now in the morning when I ask "hows my commute?" I get the reply " please sign in to your Google account...." even though I am of course signed in.

I seem to have to open the Google home app and then ask the question again to get it to work.

Its still a better product than the Echo but it is going backwards in reliability for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭jogdish

So up till last week, when I asked "play radio 1", it always played RTE radio one. Now this week it plays "BBC radio 1".

I can work around it by asking to play RTE radio one, but why the change from RTE to BBC ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

jogdish wrote: »
    So up till last week, when I asked "play radio 1", it always played RTE radio one. Now this week it plays "BBC radio 1".

I can work around it by asking to play RTE radio one, but why the change from RTE to BBC ?

Did you change a setting to UK?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

adox wrote: »
    Im becoming more and more frustrated with my Home and Mini. They seem to be slowly turning into echos with their unreliability.

More often than not now in the morning when I ask "hows my commute?" I get the reply " please sign in to your Google account...." even though I am of course signed in.

I seem to have to open the Google home app and then ask the question again to get it to work.

Its still a better product than the Echo but it is going backwards in reliability for me.

What country do you have yours set too? I've mine set to US and no issues.
    jogdish wrote: »

Tuneine seems to change all the time, on both GH and Echo too. It is more like a search engine then a preset. You could use a shortcut to fix this:

"Hey Google, Radio 1" -> "Hey Google, Play RTE Radio 1"

My missus was having issues where our shortcut "Light it up" to turn on the hallway lights would end up turning on all lights for her about half the time. However I never had any issues.

I changed her language to US last week and it hasn't happened since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭randombar

matrim wrote: »
    My missus was having issues where our shortcut "Light it up" to turn on the hallway lights would end up turning on all lights for her about half the time. However I never had any issues.

I changed her language to US last week and it hasn't happened since.

Is your missus American?

GaryCocs wrote: »
    Is your missus American?

No but I think more things are enabled if you use US English. Once I changed it there were a load of new options in her home app

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭randombar

matrim wrote: »
    No but I think more things are enabled if you use US English. Once I changed it there were a load of new options in her home app

Ah ya I was only messing the US version has more options al right but frustrating that it's all "hacked" to get right.

As an aside, if you add the google photos app through a US IP address you get the face recognition stuff on the app and web app.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,245 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Is it possible to add a second account to the home(s)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

GaryCocs wrote: »
    Ah ya I was only messing the US version has more options al right but frustrating that it's all "hacked" to get right.

As an aside, if you add the google photos app through a US IP address you get the face recognition stuff on the app and web app.

Did that myself the otheer day, really good, if not a little creepy.

Also now notice that Netflix control is really good, with pause, rewind etc, ajd if casting Netflix, when I talk to Google it turns down the volume of Netflix to listen

Is it possible to add a second account to the home(s)?

As in a second user, yes, just get them to install the home app and set it up.

• Advertisement

bk wrote: »
    What country do you have yours set too? I've mine set to US and no issues.

I can’t find anywhere to set the region in the app?(iOS)

Have my iPhone settings set to US.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,087 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I can’t find anywhere to set the region in the app?(iOS)

Have my iPhone settings set to US.

You need to change the language to English US

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    You need to change the language to English US

In my iPhone settings? I have it set to that already, unless there is a setting on the Google Home app?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭thecivvie

Is it possible to link a different Spotify account to different GH which are all linked under one Google account

Ie Main GH, GH daughter, GH son. Linking all under Main GH account for broadcast and home control

Join Ireland Weather Network

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

In my iPhone settings? I have it set to that already, unless there is a setting on the Google Home app?

I think the Google home app needs the phone language to be set to US when it starts up. I think the easiest was is to set to US English as default and restart the phone. Option should be available.

I think the Google home app needs the phone language to be set to US when it starts up. I think the easiest was is to set to US English as default and restart the phone. Option should be available.

I have my phone set to US location and language as English US

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

I have my phone set to US location and language as English US
    Are you trying to add another account to Google home from a device your current account is signed into?

I dont think you can add another account from a device you are signed in on. You need another device and another Google account

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

thecivvie wrote: »
    Is it possible to link a different Spotify account to different GH which are all linked under one Google account

Ie Main GH, GH daughter, GH son. Linking all under Main GH account for broadcast and home control

Well not quiet, but instead you can use multi-user voice recognition. Basically you create an account for each user, train it to recognise their voice and then link each of their accounts to their individual spotify account.

So then, when your daughter asks her GH to play music, it will play from her spotify acc. At the same time, your son can ask his GH to play music and it will play from his Spotify acc. The two won't interfere with one another.

Are you trying to add another account to Google home from a device your current account is signed into?

I dont think you can add another account from a device you are signed in on. You need another device and another Google account

No only one account.

• Advertisement

Anyone notice home control is down ? Google home reporting there was an error, when I try either hue or smart things devices

Advertisement