Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Home FAQ

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Also, to save you money, cos when you getnone your gonna want more, get a home mini as well :-)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

2011 wrote: »
    I can't even download the Assistant app :(
    Likewise, only have an iPhone. Have he google home app - assume the assistant is different to that?

It isn't in the Irish Apple App Store, you need to download it from the US or UK app store. Google for details on how to do that.

And yes, the "Google Assistant" app is separate from the "Google Home" app and no I've no idea why one is in the Irish app store and not the other and yes it is pretty stupid!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

ForestFire wrote: »
    Our GH's answer in us voice for most normal things but switches to uk for the weather.

I assumed this was due to the location of were the weather report was for (uk closest to us) and possible the source of the weather (uk met?)

Same here. US for everything but weather. US for directions too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Remind me, what's the best way to control the volume of the assistant's voice? It's a little too loud at 2-3am when I can't sleep and ask it to play something. PLAYING BBC WORLD SERVICE, ON THE BBC. Not likely to wake anyone, but still louder than what the actual radio station volume plays at.

I notice also the Mini doesn't seem to handle the word 'decrease' very well e.g. re adjusting Hue lights. I tend to say 'increase TBO's lamp (Hue Go) to 30%' when I really mean decrease.:pac: Most of the time it doesn't want to know when you throw decrease in there.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Remind me, what's the best way to control the volume of the assistant's voice?
    Plead with Google to add it as a feature :p I'd love for them to add it as, like you i found it annoying at times. Ideally, muting her responses would be perfect. For example, I like playing soothing sounds at night that last for an hour: if I want them again afterwards she'll yell out "OKAY, HERE'S THE SOUND OF THE OCEAN!" Silly GA.

• Advertisement

I say "Hey Google set volume to 2" and I hear a little kind of click!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Anyone else say something about GHome aloud that looked bad without context?

The alarm was ringing in the morning and I had to tap it a few times to stop it. So speaking about it on the DART with my other half, I said: "I kept hitting her until she eventually shut up." He knew what I meant but made sure when replying that we were talking about a digital alarm... :o

• Moderators Posts: 12,379 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

ixoy wrote: »
    Plead with Google to add it as a feature :p I'd love for them to add it as, like you i found it annoying at times. Ideally, muting her responses would be perfect. For example, I like playing soothing sounds at night that last for an hour: if I want them again afterwards she'll yell out "OKAY, HERE'S THE SOUND OF THE OCEAN!" Silly GA.

Isn't this a feature?

There's a night mode on my mini in the home app. It allows me to set default and max volumes during periods of the day.

Similarly to you, I discovered this after google shouted at me that it would play sounds of the ocean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭ForestFire

I say "Hey Google set volume to 2" and I hear a little kind of click!

yes correct, the the click noise at volume 2.

If you ask for volume set to level 10 you will hear a LARGE click!!!

Also if you adjust the volume from the top it clicks too for each step.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

I just discovered i can no longer cast from either of my Google homes to my Shield for some strange reason. Manually casting from any other device works flawlessly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭thecivvie

I just discovered i can no longer cast from either of my Google homes to my Shield for some strange reason. Manually casting from any other device works flawlessly

My Netflix casting goes down every so often. Hopefully it will come back in a day or so for you they seem to be doing a lot of messing around in the background

Join Ireland Weather Network

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

Anyone having any issues with their Home not responding in the last few days?
    The last two mornings I've had to pull the power to restart, it wasn't responding to Hey Google (or OK google). My mini in the front room heard me fine. FYI I checked the mic was enabled and it was. Weird, never had this problem before :confused:

lafors wrote: »
    Anyone having any issues with their Home not responding in the last few days?
    The last two mornings I've had to pull the power to restart, it wasn't responding to Hey Google (or OK google). My mini in the front room heard me fine. FYI I checked the mic was enabled and it was. Weird, never had this problem before :confused:

Chexk for dust etc had similar prob with mine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭tipperaryboy

'Ok google play spotify' response playing some music on Spotify Anyone else find the long response grating every time?
    Why can't it give a simple short response like Alexa 'resuming spotify'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,054 ✭✭✭Doge

Got Google Home as a Christmas present but finding it a bit underwhelming in usage.

For instance for news, bbc spoken news is great but I think it should have some Text to Speech capability for speaking news from other maybe custom sources.

Anyone know of a way of doing that?

The only tech news I found it’s capable of is Wired news spoken edition, which is full of pretentious sounding articles that sound like long essays.
    I really just want to hear headlines instead of some pretentious crap! :P

Also Netflix is not compatible with the built in Chromecast on our Sony Bravia Android TVs.

So the only use I have for google home at the moment is setting alarms and checking the weather!

I did use some WiFi sockets for turning on stuff like an electric blanket.

If anyone has anymore uses for it id love to hear it.

Doge wrote: »
    Got Google Home as a Christmas present but finding it a bit underwhelming in usage.

For instance for news, bbc spoken news is great but I think it should have some Text to Speech capability for speaking news from other maybe custom sources.

Anyone know of a way of doing that?

The only tech news I found it’s capable of is Wired news spoken edition, which is full of pretentious sounding articles that sound like long essays.
    I really just want to hear headlines instead of some pretentious crap! :P

Also Netflix is not compatible with the built in Chromecast on our Sony Bravia Android TVs.

So the only use I have for google home at the moment is setting alarms and checking the weather!

I did use some WiFi sockets for turning on stuff like an electric blanket.

If anyone has anymore uses for it id love to hear it.

Heating and light control
    Calenders and reminders
    Music
    Conversions, weights measures etc
    Netflix works well for me (using Chromecast devices though)

Heating and light control
    Calenders and reminders
    Music
    Conversions, weights measures etc
    Netflix works well for me (using Chromecast devices though)

Cheers! I’ve just discovered CNET Technology news and it’s a bit more my style, only had a few headlines. The waffle on some of the other technology news sources surely cannot have many people using them.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I find the shopping list very handy. I have a shortcut to this on the home screen of my phone. I just say "Hey Google, add milk, bread and butter to my shopping list." I can the check these items off the list when shopping.

2011 wrote: »
    I find the shopping list very handy. I have a shortcut to this on the home screen of my phone. I just say "Hey Google, add milk, bread and butter to my shopping list." I can the check these items off the list when shopping.

Is it a google shopping list app or widget you must install for it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

It would be nice if there was an app for the shopping list similar to Google Tasks (which I currently use as a shopping list, via a widget on my phone) but I don't see one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭SteM

fletch wrote: »
    It would be nice if there was an app for the shopping list similar to Google Tasks (which I currently use as a shopping list, via a widget on my phone) but I don't see one.

I just open https://shoppinglist.google.com which opens the shopping list. Then in the 3dot options in the top right of the Chrome browser choose Add to Home screen. It's not a widget but it's a direct link to your shopping list on your home screen. Add the items by voice using the gHome and then see them and tick them off the lsit when you're shopping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

I use Out of Milk. It is a shopping list app. I can ask GH to talk to Out of milk and then add items to my list. It is a much more comprehensive shopping list app with GH support. It is handy as the lists are easily shared across devices and people etc but a bit more hassle havint to ask to speak to Out o Milk before adding items.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭mgray

SteM wrote: »
    I just open https://shoppinglist.google.com which opens the shopping list. Then in the 3dot options in the top right of the Chrome browser choose Add to Home screen. It's not a widget but it's a direct link to your shopping list on your home screen. Add the items by voice using the gHome and then see them and tick them off the lsit when you're shopping.

This isn't working for me. Only physically added items seem to appear on shopping list on assistant. Ask gh what's in shopping list and it only repeats the voice added items...??

Edit to say I figured it out, items were saved in my son's shopping list for some reason, retrained the voice and sotred...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Doge wrote: »
    Is it a google shopping list app or widget you must install for it?

No. I just have a shortcut to the page on my home screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

They should just have the shopping list back in Keep. Don't understand the point of the stupid web app.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭RunDMC

+1 on having the shopping list in Keep. This was very handy, but when the started Google Express shopping service in the US, they moved everyone to that service globally, even though it doesn't really exist.

R

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 898 ✭✭✭OREGATO

They should just have the shopping list back in Keep. Don't understand the point of the stupid web app.

You can download the express APK and have a native experience. You can't order in express but it works fine. I share the shopping list with the wife so we can both add and tick things off. Just set up express on both phones and works seamlessly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,285 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Are there any bricks & mortar stores selling this in Dublin?

fixxxer wrote: »
    Are there any bricks & mortar stores selling this in Dublin?

Nope, oder online from Google UK store is your best bet. Even if someone is selling here direct, you might have an issue warranty wise etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,285 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Nope, oder online from Google UK store is your best bet. Even if someone is selling here direct, you might have an issue warranty wise etc

Cheers.

Advertisement