Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Home FAQ

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭postsnthing

"sorry, I can't make calls yet"
    :( not looking good for us !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭jones

ixoy wrote:
    Ohh.. Do I now need a fourth?

Ha me too have three and love them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭jogdish

"sorry, I can't make calls yet"
    :( not looking good for us !

Do you mind (if possible) to reboot and make sure its up to date? Updates in the past have been very hit and miss within a day or two of roll out, iirc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

jogdish wrote: »
    ohh please someone check this out! I'm away from my Home till tomorrow!

"Sorry. I can't make calls yet."

• Advertisement

"Sorry. I can't make calls yet."

:(:mad:

Wonder if it will ever arrive, odd it won't work here can't see how it depends on the region once the Home has the feature unlocked.

(sorry to keep harping on about voice calling)
    found this at https://www.androidcentral.com/google-home-and-home-mini-get-hands-free-calling-uk
    Hands-free calling is rolling out to users across the UK over the coming week, and in celebration of its launch and Mother's Day in the country,

So maybe in the coming week. I need to justify my third Home :D

:(:mad:

Wonder if it will ever arrive, odd it won't work here can't see how it depends on the region once the Home has the feature unlocked.
    (sorry to keep harping on about voice calling)
    found this at https://www.androidcentral.com/google-home-and-home-mini-get-hands-free-calling-uk

So maybe in the coming week. I need to justify my third Home :D

It's not going to happen here. This is not a significant market. In fact it's not a market, full stop. They don't sell the GH here so there's hardly a team working on voice calling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭SteM

It's not going to happen here. This is not a significant market. In fact it's not a market, full stop. They don't sell the GH here so there's hardly a team working on voice calling.

But we've bought GHs from the UK and is being rolled out in the UK so we'll probably get that functionality here. No one's suggesting they'll develop the functionality specifically for the Irish market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

SteM wrote: »
    But we've bought GHs from the UK and is being rolled out in the UK so we'll probably get that functionality here. No one's suggesting they'll develop the functionality specifically for the Irish market.

The calls appear from the number you enter so they can tell where your phone is and may need agreement from local operators.

• Advertisement

SteM wrote: »

To call landlines and mobiles in Ireland they'll need to develop the functionality specifically for the Irish market. It's not going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭setanta1984

I am in the UK, and have been testing out the calling. It works fine when calling UK numbers, but if I try to call an Irish number I get a message telling me "calls to this number are not supported". So I'd say no chance it'll work in Ireland unless they start officially selling it in Ireland.

It's pretty cool over here though, free calls to any mobile or landline!

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭setanta1984

matrim wrote: »
    The calls appear from the number you enter so they can tell where your phone is and may need agreement from local operators.

Interestingly I can make calls coming "from" my Irish number (in the UK) but I can only call UK mobiles/landlines so the issue isn't necessarily with the number being used to call, but the number you are calling.

It's pretty cool, you can change the number your calls appear from on the fly, or if you don't set that up it uses a private number. So maybe there will be a way to get calls working in Ireland, perhaps using a VPN, not that it would be much use anyway as you definitely can't call non-UK numbers at the moment.

I know it's not the same, but from chrome/Gmail in Ireland I can call my Irish mobile / landline - so they have some sort of infrastructure for calling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gulliver

Same old story. "We'll locate the European Headquarters here because of the tax-breaks, but we'll be buggered if we're going to sell GH or develop any kind of market here." Even if Ireland is a small country market-wise, you'd think they'd use us as a testing bed for all the latest features because we're so small.

Also it must be embarrassing in presentations. "Here's a new feature. It doesn't work here in HQ as we're in Ireland so let's watch a video of it working elsewhere."

Gulliver wrote: »
    Same old story. "We'll locate the European Headquarters here because of the tax-breaks, but we'll be buggered if we're going to sell GH or develop any kind of market here." Even if Ireland is a small country market-wise, you'd think they'd use us as a testing bed for all the latest features because we're so small.

Also it must be embarrassing in presentations. "Here's a new feature. It doesn't work here in HQ as we're in Ireland so let's watch a video of it working elsewhere."

Agree! and I bet in HQ some guy changes a file "ireland-0,->ireland-enable,Google HQ-enable" and everything works perfect :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Agree! and I bet in HQ some guy changes a file "ireland-0,->ireland-enable,Google HQ-enable" and everything works perfect :)

I fear that having a google home in Ireland will start to become more disadvantageous as time goes on compared to officially supported devices like Alexa.

I can't see a google Ireland home being supported, so we are continuously going to lose out.

Starting to think a move to Alexa might be making sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gulliver

I fear that having a google home in Ireland will start to become more disadvantageous as time goes on compared to officially supported devices like Alexa.

I can't see a google Ireland home being supported, so we are continuously going to lose out.

I agree. I deliberately kept away from Alexa as I perceived it as a miniature shopfront for Amazon and I thought Google Home would eventually surpass it. It looks like that may be true in other countries, but not here.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭DoubleJoe7

+1

Love my GH but really starting to worry we'll be left behind.

• Advertisement

DoubleJoe7 wrote: »
    +1

Love my GH but really starting to worry we'll be left behind.

A change.org petition anyone ?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

While Alexa may officially be supported in Ireland and Google Home not, in my experience in having multiple devices from both, I find Google Home works MUCH better then Alexa in Ireland.

I got my GH on the day of release in the US and most things worked out of the box here in Ireland.

The advantage of GH is it is backed by Googles various services, search, maps, etc. and most of these work very well in Ireland and are well supported.

By comparison Alexa is backed by Bing, which is just terrible in Ireland IME.

This wifi calling thing is the first feature that I've seen that hasn't worked in Ireland. And it is understandably different from other Google services (requires a connection to the local telecoms networks).

And the truth is Amazon is barely supporting Alexa in Ireland. They are basically just selling the UK one and shipping it to Ireland. They haven't actually optimised it in anyway for Ireland. And BTW Alexa doesn't have wifi calling, their version of "wifi calling" only allows you to call other echos or the Alexa app on a phone, it isn't calling out to any number like Google Homes version is.

Finally I wouldn't assume that Google won't launch GH in Ireland eventually. They are actually one of the better companies about supporting Ireland, rolling out new services like Google Maps, Google Pay, etc. not too long after the US/UK. With the battle heating up with Amazon, I suspect Google will be stepping up their efforts around the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭randombar

I too am a bit annoyed about the amazon in Ireland and home not. I also like the amazon echo games thingy and the market share from a skills perspective is theirs lets be honest.

I had an Echo about a year ago and a few dots.

Moved to Home and Home Mini about 4 months ago.

I've actually had to get a dot again for development of a skill recently. Two things have made me appreciate the home a bit more.

1) Sound on the dot is chronic, you really can't use it on it's own. Whereas with the home I'm wondering was there any need to buy a home for the kitchen when a home mini would have done grand.

2) The voice recongition is bad, because I'm deving on it now I'm looking at words in the logs and it doesn't get half of them.

A change.org petition anyone ?

count me in, or a twitter account to pester them(someone in google PR) each day.

count me in, or a twitter account to pester them(someone in google PR) each day.

Ok,

Perhaps can i suggest that we do something as a boards group ?

I have a petition already around google home and g suite support (g suite users can't use their calander etc with google home) and I set up a page to petition google. Its not got a huge amount of support, I think mainly because g suite is not heavily used by google home users.

Anyway,

1) could we start up a thread on boards to talk about getting Goole home Ireland supported.
    2) start up the change.org petition and twitter etc, whatever.

I'm up for it, if mods are okay with it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

My Google homes have stopped streaming rte stations on tunein :( Says "OK streaming RTE Radio 1 on tunein" but nothing happens. Steams fine on the tunein app on my phone.

digitaldr wrote: »
    My Google homes have stopped streaming rte stations on tunein :( Says "OK streaming RTE Radio 1 on tunein" but nothing happens. Steams fine on the tunein app on my phone.

Same here now actually

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Maybe it's due to the update. Bit of a deal breaker for me :mad:

• Advertisement

Get the same for newstalk and today FM.

Plays BBC radio ok though

Advertisement