Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Home FAQ

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭ForestFire

adox wrote: »
    There for me too (US setting)
    6 options there at the moment with 5 having presets on them:

Good Morning
    Bedtime
    Leaving Home
    I`m Home
    Commuting To Work
    Commuting Home

Same options for me too.

language set to English US on all devices including phone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭micks_address

Hi folks,
    Having an issue adding rooms to. Google home.. Says couldnt update settings check Internet connection.. Home rebooted and phone...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Hi folks,
    Having an issue adding rooms to. Google home.. Says couldnt update settings check Internet connection.. Home rebooted and phone...

Having the same issue so interested in a solution also. Added smartthings to the setup yesterday and can't assign any of the sensors etc to rooms.

THE ALM wrote: »
    Having the same issue so interested in a solution also. Added smartthings to the setup yesterday and can't assign any of the sensors etc to rooms.

https://support.google.com/googlehome/forum/AAAAXWcshA0QzU-aE3ZYbg

Looks like issue on Google side..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭THE ALM

At least they are aware, would expect an update in due course.

THE ALM wrote: »
    At least they are aware, would expect an update in due course.

Looks like back working again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭jogdish

Sorry to harp on,

RTE 1 still not working, strangly enough works on the tunein app on phone, and when I asked GH to play it, the icon for the GH shows it playing RTE with a graphic of the current show - so its getting some info from Tunein.

I complained again, asking was there a way for me to type the RTE 1 URL into the app, no such luck. It's maddening, given than it being a radio was 80% of its use, and it worked perfectly for the last 9 months.

Apparently there is a work around, if you are willing to install yet another smart assistant on a raspberry pi to let let the GH talk to - I'm not there yet :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

jogdish wrote: »
    Sorry to harp on,

RTE 1 still not working, strangly enough works on the tunein app on phone, and when I asked GH to play it, the icon for the GH shows it playing RTE with a graphic of the current show - so its getting some info from Tunein.

I complained again, asking was there a way for me to type the RTE 1 URL into the app, no such luck. It's maddening, given than it being a radio was 80% of its use, and it worked perfectly for the last 9 months.

Apparently there is a work around, if you are willing to install yet another smart assistant on a raspberry pi to let let the GH talk to - I'm not there yet :)

Is this issue exclusive to google home devices or is Alexa affected as well ?

Is this issue exclusive to google home devices or is Alexa affected as well ?

No idea, don't know any alexa users, or if it uses tunein, maybe someone can check?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭garbeth

Just tried it on Alexa and google home RTÉ one 2FM and Newstalk

Alexa all three worked
    google home RTÉ one did not work 2 fm and Newstalk did work

garbeth wrote: »
    Just tried it on Alexa and google home RTÉ one 2FM and Newstalk

Alexa all three worked
    google home RTÉ one did not work 2 fm and Newstalk did work

Does Alex stream via TuneIn of take directly from source? I know with BBC on GH it says from the BBC, while says from TuneIn for the irish ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Had a look at the Google home max in Best buy last week, it is HUGE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭garbeth

Does Alex stream via TuneIn of take directly from source? I know with BBC on GH it says from the BBC, while says from TuneIn for the irish ones.
    Takes it from tunein on alexa

mloc123 wrote: »
    Had a look at the Google home max in Best buy last week, it is HUGE.

Tempted to get one eventually.. Is the mic pickup better on the larger home or max than the mini?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Tempted to get one eventually.. Is the mic pickup better on the larger home or max than the mini?

Dunno about the max, I didn't test it. I have no issue with mic pickup on my standard size ones... Although, no issue with my minis either... Unless my son is shouting in the background

mloc123 wrote: »
    Dunno about the max, I didn't test it. I have no issue with mic pickup on my standard size ones... Although, no issue with my minis either... Unless my son is shouting in the background

I *think* the mic has more directional mics, so it should be a bit better, but I would imagine the difference is not a huge amount over the regular Home.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭yrrag1974

I've finally figured out how to find Shortcuts for Google Home - I had it before and it disappeared for me.

Instead of going to the Home App, open the Assistant App (I'm on iOS so don't know if this will work for Android).

Click the Blue button in the top right hand corner.
    Click Your Stuff
    Scroll down to the bottom and you will see Shortcuts where you can review existing shortcuts or create others.

No need to change language or anything on the phone - I have mine set to English - Ireland.

Apologies if this has been posted before but it has been doing my nut in!!

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Re the rte issue, it is working for me. However, when she repeats after I ask her to "play rte radio 1" she says "ok, playing root radio 1 on tunein" so maybe try saying "root radio 1".

Just saying 2fm rather than the 2fm works for me.

I got the mini recently, sound quality quite inferior and it doesn't hear as well as the regular home.

Re the rte issue, it is working for me. However, when she repeats after I ask her to "play rte radio 1" she says "ok, playing root radio 1 on tunein" so maybe try saying "root radio 1".

Just saying 2fm rather than the 2fm works for me.

I got the mini recently, sound quality quite inferior and it doesn't hear as well as the regular home.

Can anyone to a "root" verus saying "rte" test on their homes, perhaps the "issue is fixed" or "root/rte" is another issue.

• Advertisement

Can anyone to a "root" verus saying "rte" test on their homes, perhaps the "issue is fixed" or "root/rte" is another issue.

I'm still not able to streaming rte radio, it says it will do it then I get silence.

With respect to the phrase "root" I tested it and I need to qualify it by saying "play root radio 1 on tunein"

So I would stick with saying "play ret radio 1"

Has the silence issue been resolved of other people ?

I'm still not able to streaming rte radio, it says it will do it then I get silence.

With respect to the phrase "root" I tested it and I need to qualify it by saying "play root radio 1 on tunein"

So I would stick with saying "play ret radio 1"

Has the silence issue been resolved of other people ?

Still silence here

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Griffinx

I tried casting rte1 from my Tunein app to chromecast and that doesn’t work either but another radio station works ok when I cast. So I think the issue is with how Tunein is casting RTÉ rather than with the Google home itself.

Griffinx wrote: »
    I tried casting rte1 from my Tunein app to chromecast and that doesn’t work either but another radio station works ok when I cast. So I think the issue is with how Tunein is casting RTÉ rather than with the Google home itself.

Same issue with today fm, it's not limited to rte

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭pjproby

I got Newstalk and Lyric to work by unplugging the speaker and plugging it back in. Still no RTE1 though.

pjproby wrote: »
    I got Newstalk and Lyric to work by unplugging the speaker and plugging it back in. Still no RTE1 though.

Spoke via chat to Google again
    Our engineers are working on it with TuneIn. To speed up this process, it would be helpful for our engineers to have your issue reported. You can submit feedback through the device or the Home app with the keywords: 'GHT3 RTE Radio 1 on TuneIn.'

>Is there any update from the higher tier of support that might give an indication of the timeframe to a solution to this issue?

>Also, are the engineering committed to finding a solution?

I'm afraid there's no update just yet from them. Our engineers are working to find a stable solution on the soonest possible time.

I have this image of the Apollo 13 engineering team working away on a small Google Home in my head now. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Griffinx

Same issue with today fm, it's not limited to rte

Today Fm works fine for me

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

Mic pick-up is definitely better on the original Home rather than the Mini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭pjproby

Despite my hi tech solution previously mentioned-none of those stations working this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 317 ✭✭darth_maul

pjproby wrote: »
    Despite my hi tech solution previously mentioned-none of those stations working this morning.

If you try to play RTE Radio One, it then seems to lock up and stop other radio stations working until you either reboot device or go into home app and stop what's playing (or not playing) from there.
    I have emailed tunein support and they have accepted this is their issue and are working on it, would encourage everyone to throw them an email too, support@tunein.com

If you really want to cast RTE 1 to your home device the simple radio app can cast RTE1, but you have to play on device before selecting cast.

Advertisement