Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Home FAQ

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

jogdish wrote: »
    ask it to play RTE Radio 1 :D

:D:D:D

Was pointing my Zero issues at the "Nothing will play" :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,836 ✭✭✭AngelaRI

digitaldr wrote: »
    Try "ok google sync my devices" and it should find all your bulbs again.

Last few days, asking Google to sync my devices results in a loonnngg pause, lights on the GHMini flashing for a while, and then google saying, "I'm sorry, I don't know how to help with that yet"... I've done this in the past and it worked (last time I added a new Hue Bulb)

Also, last night I started having trouble using GH voice control for my Hue bulbs - lady google would respond and confirm my command (Hey Google, turn on the kitchen lights), but nothing would happen. Sometimes I'd have to repeat the command 2 or 3 times before it worked, other times it would work first time! This is new! Wondering if it's Google related, or Philips?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭jones

AngelaRI wrote: »
    Last few days, asking Google to sync my devices results in a loonnngg pause, lights on the GHMini flashing for a while, and then google saying, "I'm sorry, I don't know how to help with that yet"... I've done this in the past and it worked (last time I added a new Hue Bulb)

Also, last night I started having trouble using GH voice control for my Hue bulbs - lady google would respond and confirm my command (Hey Google, turn on the kitchen lights), but nothing would happen. Sometimes I'd have to repeat the command 2 or 3 times before it worked, other times it would work first time! This is new! Wondering if it's Google related, or Philips?

This very randomly happens me aswell. I think its to do with the internet if it times before a result comes back out google just spouts back the generic line

jones wrote: »
    This very randomly happens me aswell. I think its to do with the internet if it times before a result comes back out google just spouts back the generic line

I don't think it's my internet in this case. The syncing issue has been constant for the last 2-3 days. Meanwhile I'm streaming radio or Spotify or Netflix (HD) with no lag or interruptions during those same days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Fishy1

Hi,
    Am a recent convert to Google Home. Am very happy with it, apart from the RTE1 issue, which I keep giving feedback on via GH feedback.

Am tempted to get my daughter to pick up a Google Mini in Dublin airport for me (I just rang them & it’s currently on sale there for €37).

I’d like to put this in the bedroom as I usually fall asleep listening to radio / podcasts. My question is this, can I set a sleep timer on Google Mini, ie ask it to switch off after 45 minutes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Fishy1 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Am a recent convert to Google Home. Am very happy with it, apart from the RTE1 issue, which I keep giving feedback on via GH feedback.

Am tempted to get my daughter to pick up a Google Mini in Dublin airport for me (I just rang them & it’s currently on sale there for €37).

I’d like to put this in the bedroom as I usually fall asleep listening to radio / podcasts. My question is this, can I set a sleep timer on Google Mini, ie ask it to switch off after 45 minutes?

I'm pretty sure you can say something like "Play xxx for 45 minutes"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Hi,

Yep I use that feature all the time. Just say “hey google turn off in x minutes/hours”

Thank you both for the prompt replies, no stopping me now!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Google Mini in Dublin airport for me (I just rang them & it’s currently on sale there for €37).

Didn't know it was on sale in Ireland. I didn't spot it in Cork airport last week. Is it in the duty free?

Didn't know it was on sale in Ireland. I didn't spot it in Cork airport last week. Is it in the duty free?

It’s on sale in Dixon’s duty free shop in Dublin airport’s terminal 1 & 2. I got the Google Home there a few weeks ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭jogdish

So now movement yet on getting RTE radio 1 to play via tuneIn, I went looking around online and found there are - this is where my tech knowledge goes off a cliff - API's and SDK's for the home.

I am looking into DialogFlow(API.AI) for Google home.

I *think* I can create basic things like question -> reply stuff, zero idea how to ask it to fetch a URL stream directly from RTE.

So, is there any out there than is good with API's and the like? Perhaps help me?
    So I made my 'dialogflow' account and got a basic agent working, after much digging and searching I came across
    https://developers.google.com/actions/assistant/responses
    which contains "Audio for playback must be in a correctly formatted .mp3 file. Live streaming is not supported."

So I guess my idea of making a RTE radio 1 agent is dead.

Side note: the whole making an agent stuff for your own GH is pretty cool!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭kevin2me

Have 2 Google homes, love it, have great time talking to my American Google Gal :)

Then last week magically she changed to British GOOGLE WITH A STERN ENGLISH TEACHER NEW VOICE... SHES NOW WRECKING MY HEAD....

Ive google and found GH APP -> More -> Assistant Voice etc etc and a few more workarounds

But cant find it nor set her back to American voice.

TBH the change makes me want to plug her out :) Any ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Home > More Settings > Under devices, name of home mini > Assistant Language

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭eoinfitzokk

Google Home will now connect with Bluetooth speakers.
    Great for GH mini if you have a decent Bluetooth speaker hanging about. Give the sound a bit of a boost.

I could see this working in the car also by connecting to the car stereo.

https://www.blog.google/products/home/google-home-and-bluetooth-speakers-make-perfect-pair/

I have this set up myself now with the Mini Connected to USB in Car and audio output through Chomecast Audio or Bluetooth (both are relatively hidden beneath my seat and connected to the aux jack in the centre console).

Works well. Changed my wifi hotspot on phone to same SSID and password as the house router so it just works if you move from car to home with it. The mini can be portable if you want it to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,087 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I have this set up myself now with the Mini Connected to USB in Car and audio output through Chomecast Audio or Bluetooth (both are relatively hidden beneath my seat and connected to the aux jack in the centre console).

Works well. Changed my wifi hotspot on phone to same SSID and password as the house router so it just works if you move from car to home with it. The mini can be portable if you want it to be.

Would it not be better to just use android auto on your phone connected up to the car?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭jones

Hi folks,

Anyone using their home to control Philip hue lights have this issue.

I have 15 Hue lights and never had any issue with them until last week. Then suddenly Ghome couldn't control them. I removed the link to hue and reinstalled it and hey presto all the lights were working again.

Only problem is now its showing as 73 devices aren't in rooms yet - all the different colour variations of each light are showing up as a individual light so lets say I've one bedroom bulb its showing up as bedroom bright, bedroom nightlight etc.

Anyone seen anything like this?

jones wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Anyone using their home to control Philip hue lights have this issue.

I have 15 Hue lights and never had any issue with them until last week. Then suddenly Ghome couldn't control them. I removed the link to hue and reinstalled it and hey presto all the lights were working again.

Only problem is now its showing as 73 devices aren't in rooms yet - all the different colour variations of each light are showing up as a individual light so lets say I've one bedroom bulb its showing up as bedroom bright, bedroom nightlight etc.

Anyone seen anything like this?

Those are all the new scenes sounds like. I've 9 bulbs myself and a week or two ago each bulb got a bunch of scenes that showed up as new 'devices' (e.g. My 'kitchen' room suddenly got 'Arctic aurora in Kitchen' plus a few others, even though the kitchen bulbs are white not colour), and I just assigned them each to the appropriate room. Was a bit of a pain but once-off at least.

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Would it not be better to just use android auto on your phone connected up to the car?

This. Absolutely no need to be installing a mini in your car.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭eoinfitzokk

This. Absolutely no need to be installing a mini in your car.

There is nothing "installed" in the car. Sure the home mini is tiny and portable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

There is nothing "installed" in the car. Sure the home mini is tiny and portable.

Android auto turns your phone into a voice actvated google assistant and is all you need, has a mobile data connection, connects to Bluetooth plus also provides an interface for music, phone calls and gps. Why would you need anything else?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭tipperaryboy

Still problems with RTE radio 1 , wonder when will the issue be resolved seems to be ongoing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭jogdish

Still problems with RTE radio 1 , wonder when will the issue be resolved seems to be ongoing?
    I emailed TuneIn again got back
    "Thanks for your interest regarding this case. Unfortunately, we have not had any updates from our Development Team yet, however, this means that this an ongoing issue that they are working to find a solution, hopefully in the next update. We apologize for this inconvenience.

Please stay tuned for further information."

Not exactly encouraging , the mind truly boggles as to how hard this issue really is to solve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

I emailed TuneIn again got back
    "Thanks for your interest regarding this case. Unfortunately, we have not had any updates from our Development Team yet, however, this means that this an ongoing issue that they are working to find a solution, hopefully in the next update. We apologize for this inconvenience.

Please stay tuned for further information."

Not exactly encouraging , the mind truly boggles as to how hard this issue really is to solve.

It's hardly mind boggling that a market as small as the number of listeners to RTE Radio 1 isn't a major priority for the Development Team?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,006 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Hi Folks,

Any word on whether Google are working on a device similar to the Echo Spot? I'm really tempted to get a spot but as I've invested in the Google tech it wouldn't make a whole lot of sense. I know they are working with other companies for devices similar to the Echo show but I like the small form factor of the Spot and would have it on the bedside table.

Fair play on the ingenuity and you are of course allowed to do whatever the hell you want but there's still no need for your setup. It's redundant.

Hi Folks,

Any word on whether Google are working on a device similar to the Echo Spot? I'm really tempted to get a spot but as I've invested in the Google tech it wouldn't make a whole lot of sense. I know they are working with other companies for devices similar to the Echo show but I like the small form factor of the Spot and would have it on the bedside table.

Huh? What do you mean "Google are working"? Like various Google services?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Echo Spot has a small screen
    https://pisces.bbystatic.com/image2/BestBuy_US/images/products/6114/6114501_sd.jpg;maxHeight=640;maxWidth=550

I know that. That doesn't answer my question.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Hi Folks,

A few months ago, Google showed off Google Home devices with screens built in by several third party companies in various different form factors.

I don't think they are out yet, but it shows that they are definitely coming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,006 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

https://www.engadget.com/2018/01/08/lenovo-smart-display-hands-on/

They are working with companies to bring new devices to the market. I'm hoping for something small like the Echo spot.

Advertisement