Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Home FAQ

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭jogdish

grumpygit wrote: »
    nope still not working for me tried it on GH and a mini and doesn't work on either. Pain in the ass

Same, and I rebooted all mine too. Once again emailed back to Google with my firmware version numbers for all the good it seems to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

bk wrote: »
    The advantage is that having the GH Mini separate from the speaker is that it can be placed away from the speakers (e.g. other side of the room). I find doing this allows it to pick up the voice much easier when playing loud music. IME all these devices struggle when the mic and speaker are in the same device and it is playing loud music, you have to shout a couple of times.

The other advantage is if you already have high quality speakers sitting around, then it is much cheaper to do this then buy new Sonos. For instance, I've a fantastic pair of €500 Audio Engine 5 bookshelf speakers in my bedroom that sound amazing, far better then my friends Sonos One. Adding Chromecast Audio to them is a very easy and cheap decision. As was adding the CCA to my high end 5.1 setup in the living room.

Of course if you don't already have pre-existing speakers, then the maths is different for you.

Don't get me wrong, Sonos are very nice too and may well be the right option for you. In fact I might get some myself once GH launches on them and if it supports all the features and works well and reviews well. But I'd be cautious about buying into an expensive Sonos system before all that launches.

I did exactly that, I use to have a Dot connected to those Audio Engines speakers I mention above prior to GH launching. I replaced it with GH mini + CCA which turned out to be a far better experience.

I agree it is a pity that GH doesn't have 3.5mm out. It is a disadvantage. But €25 for a CCA (I paid jsut €15 for mine) shouldn't really be a major concern when your priority is sound quality and you are looking at buying expensive Sonos speakers!

BTW 3.5 Audio to external speakers using Dot has some serious issues. It can take a few seconds for external speakers to come out of sleep mode when it first detects sound coming from the dot, this can cause you to miss the first few seconds of response from the dot which is very annoying. GH's approach to this problem is much superior IMO.

I have a full size Echo and Echo Dot. They both sit in a cupboard unplugged. While Amazon definitely has first mover advantage, in my experience, their Alexa is far inferior and more buggy and frustrating then GH. It all feels very rushed, it feels like throw something together and throw it out the door unfinished.

GH certainly isn't prefect, but it feels better designed and is actually fun rather then frustrating.

I had 6 Sonos players (the older Sonos amp, the very first model) for about ten years, and last year replaced them all with Google homes. I find the quality of the Google home is more than suffeceint for evrryday use. Loved my Sonos system, but Google beats it hands down as a device. I may look at a Chromecast audio or Google home max solution in one room at some.stage I'm the future.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I had 6 Sonos players (the older Sonos amp, the very first model) for about ten years, and last year replaced them all with Google homes. I find the quality of the Google home is more than suffeceint for evrryday use. Loved my Sonos system, but Google beats it hands down as a device. I may look at a Chromecast audio or Google home max solution in one room at some.stage I'm the future.

Yes, I found the same in my living room. I've an excellent 5.1 system there + CCA. Despite that we find we just use the full size GH in the same room for listening to music. The music quality is more then good enough for day to day use and just more convenient.

If it wasn't for the fact we use the 5.1 for movies, we would probably get rid of it to simplify.

Some day I might get a GH Max for that room, though if I'm honest it isn't really needed.

On the other hand if Google were to create a GH soundbar, with the same audio analyse/adjustment tech as the max, I'd be very tempted by that as a replacement for the 5.1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Handy little quiz here that trys to figure out which smart speaker eco system suits you best

https://www.cnet.com/news/apple-siri-amazon-alexa-or-google-assistant-which-voice-helper-is-best-for-you/#ftag=CAD4f5ae25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,087 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Available in Argos for 50 euros.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭DoubleJoe7

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Available in Argos for 50 euros.

On store or online? Don't see it on the .ie site?

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Nokia are giving a free Google Home Mini with their new phones. Ireland is included in the promotion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭eusap

jogdish wrote: »
    Regard RTE radio 1 today:

I complained via the chat window on the GH page, just got this now:
    "
    Hello

Good day!

We'd like to update you that the issue on playing RTE Radio 1 on TuneIn that was reported to us has been resolved. We're in the process of rolling out the fix. Reply to this email if you still encounter the issue.,

Let me know if you have any additional questions about this, or start a new chat with us by clicking ‘Contact Us’ on https://support.google.com/googlehome , if you prefer, and we'll be happy to help
    "

Can someone confirm, im not at home.

I just tried on mine, and it says Streaming RTE1 from Tune In, then no sound

eusap wrote: »
    I just tried on mine, and it says Streaming RTE1 from Tune In, then no sound
    Welcome to the club :)
    please Say, "Ok Google, file feedback," wait for the prompt to record then continue with, "RTE 1 not playing."
    and post here:

https://productforums.google.com/forum/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer#!msg/googlehome/mhLXxNoj17U/43Mw9Ny2DgAJ

with the problem - just to flag this as being an issue for people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Can anyone check if "turn on xxx light for 1 hour " works?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭grumpygit

matrim wrote: »
    Can anyone check if "turn on xxx light for 1 hour " works?

All I get back is "sorry i dont know how to help with that yet". Does it ok with music or radio but not seemingly with lighting unless you can figure a way with IFTT

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Knightridernut

Hey all,

I’ve read all through the 156 pages on the thread and I see some references to kids using the GH and Mini. I’m planning on getting one, but I want my 6 year old to be able play with it too. I read someone’s post back around pg 50 or so saying their child had great fun getting it to spell their name.

On Google’s site it says kids under 13 can only get a Google account if it’s set up via Google’s Family Link app (which they state is available in Ireland). It then goes on to say that kids with a Family Link account can only use GH and GA for personalised responses in US and Canada (and I think it said somewhere else that wasn’t Ireland).

Can I ask how did those of you get that set up? Did ye use Family Link and GH and GA allowed it no problems, or did ye have to set up an account for the children with a made-up d.o.b.? I toyed with the idea of just setting up one for him with a made up d.o.b. but I prefer the idea of the Family Link as it doesn’t capture and monitor kids activities in the same way it does the adults.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Only my account is linked to the GH and Mini we have.The kids use them all the time though to play music, get spellings, ask it questions, play games etc etc without any need for a google account. They do have google accounts already (they are 10) but they are not linked in any way to the GH and it works fine for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Fishy1

Is it just me, or is TodayFM after disappearing too? When I asked GH to play it earlier, I got “ I looked for TodayFM but it either isn’t available or can’t be played right now.”

This is a different response to requesting GH to play RTE Radio 1 which also isn’t working at the moment. When I request GH to play RTE Radio 1, it says “Streaming RTE Radio 1 from TuneIn”, but then there’s silence.

Am really beginning to regret buying my GH & Mini now, as one of the main reasons I wanted it was to listen to the radio.

I’ve logged the issue via Google Home Feedback, Google Chat & on the Google support thread mentioned here before. Very frustrating.

Fishy1 wrote: »
    Is it just me, or is TodayFM after disappearing too? When I asked GH to play it earlier, I got “ I looked for TodayFM but it either isn’t available or can’t be played right now.”

This is a different response to requesting GH to play RTE Radio 1 which also isn’t working at the moment. When I request GH to play RTE Radio 1, it says “Streaming RTE Radio 1 from TuneIn”, but then there’s silence.

Am really beginning to regret buying my GH & Mini now, as one of the main reasons I wanted it was to listen to the radio.

I’ve logged the issue via Google Home Feedback, Google Chat & on the Google support thread mentioned here before. Very frustrating.
    Seems to be (?) part of the same ongoing issues, similar for BBC radio 4 for me.
    The optimistic part of me like to think its a sign they are tinkering in the background.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭nephster

Pugzilla wrote: »
    Nokia are giving a free Google Home Mini with their new phones. Ireland is included in the promotion.

To save anyone a long and annoying 30 minutes with Nokia Chat, being told the promotion was only open to GB residents, and the form not accepting your eircode...

The form (where you state you are a GB resident - not even UK!) is case sensitive.

So using lower case in the eircode made it fail. Gah!

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

nephster wrote: »
    To save anyone a long and annoying 30 minutes with Nokia Chat, being told the promotion was only open to GB residents, and the form not accepting your eircode...

The form (where you state you are a GB resident - not even UK!) is case sensitive.

So using lower case in the eircode made it fail. Gah!

So the promotion doesn't apply to Ireland contrary to what Three Ireland says?

So, radio wise I've lost rte radio, today fm and also just tried bbc radio one, the latter 2 google says it can't find them

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭nephster

Pugzilla wrote: »
    So the promotion doesn't apply to Ireland contrary to what Three Ireland says?

No, it does - the Nokia T&Cs state it does, although this was news to Nokia Support. *However* the form implies it's only for Great Britain, and indeed you tick a box saying you are a resident of GB.

But so long as you enter your Eircode in caps it will accept it. Not that I've received any confirmation via email.

bk wrote: »

On the other hand if Google were to create a GH soundbar, with the same audio analyse/adjustment tech as the max, I'd be very tempted by that as a replacement for the 5.1

Ask and ye shall receive :-)

https://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2018/5/7/17321624/google-android-tv-jbl-link-bar-i-o-2018-pricing-release-date

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Saw that earlier, a soundbar with built in assistant and Android TV. Great idea

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

LOL, obviously my Google Home is reading my mind! :eek:

Looks cool, though I do hope they partner with a few more companies. I'd have no problem buying some JBL portable speakers, I don't think they have much track record of making quality sound bars.

Now if they would partner with Yamaha.... Hey Google, you listening.. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭DoubleJoe7

Got onto TuneIn (again) about the various radio issues I've been having and they said "Regarding the BBC station due to the BBC's request, these stations are unavailable for playback on Google Home devices though TuneIn."

DoubleJoe7 wrote: »
    Got onto TuneIn (again) about the various radio issues I've been having and they said "Regarding the BBC station due to the BBC's request, these stations are unavailable for playback on Google Home devices though TuneIn."

But I think that when you ask GH to play BBC Radio, it says “Playing BBC Radio 2 from the BBC”, as opposed to “Streaming BBC Radio 2 from Tunein”. Not at home now, so can’t check.

Also, apparently RTE Radio 1 is back on GH as of this morning. Wonder how long it will last for this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Fishy1 wrote: »
    But I think that when you ask GH to play BBC Radio, it says “Playing BBC Radio 2 from the BBC”, as opposed to “Streaming BBC Radio 2 from Tunein”. Not at home now, so can’t check.

Also, apparently RTE Radio 1 is back on GH as of this morning. Wonder how long it will last for this time.

I dont listen to the BBC 4 but definitely for BBC 1 it is played from BBC not tunein anyway.

RTE 1 working again (for how long?),

BBC 4 still "does not exist"

jogdish wrote: »
    RTE 1 working again (for how long?),

BBC 4 still "does not exist"

Is TodayFm back? Not at home, so can’t check.

TodayFm is "either not availible or cannot be played right now"
    :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gulliver

Today FM recently released 3 new channels (80's, 90's and XM) and they've just appeared on TuneIn so maybe they have teething issues with voice selection? Either that or they didn't differentiate the internal naming enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭eusap

I got a Mini in Dixons last month for £32 equivalent to approx €36 at the time
    Keep an eye out for deals as they crop up a few times each year

The are back to €39 this morning in the airport

Advertisement