Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Home FAQ

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

RockDesk wrote: »
    I have a Chromecast, obviously not utilising it well! I use to use it more to connect Netflix etc. But the TV has Netflix integrated so I really only use Chromecast if I'm casting from the laptop for whatever reason.

I suppose it makes sense that the biggest draw for google is the control of devices. I'll just need to get more so!

So link your Netflix account to google home, and then add your Chromecast device. Google prob won't talk direct to your TV Netflix app, but will do ot via the connected Chromecast.

Our TV has Netflix built in as well, but rarely use it, normally watch Netflix via the Chromecast controlled by google

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭taytobreath

is it not linked automatically anyway.

is it not linked automatically anyway.

Nope, you have to link it though the google home app.

You also can tell the google home which device to cast to by default, so for example you don't have to say "play everyone loves Philadelphia on the living room TV" you just say "play everyone loves Philadelphia".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Fishy1

RockDesk wrote: »
    I hope you don't mind me asking and you don't have to answer - but what do you use your minis for? My 'Home' is still relatively new and I only really use it to play music. I feel like I'm not utilising it enough but I don't really know what else it does! I've even tried asking it questions for it to search the web but it comes back saying it can't do that at the moment!

I mainly use my GH & Mini to listen to the radio & to play Spotify. Might seem very low - tech, but I also use it to add stuff to my shopping list, & I use the timer when cooking / baking. I sometimes use it to get phone numbers for me ( although it tends to call out the digits very fast :) ).

I find the Mini is great when I’m trying to go to sleep - I listen to podcasts & set a timer for it to switch off. I also use it to wake me up in the morning with whatever music / radio station I want.

Nothing too exciting so far, but I can see myself adding heating controls etc. over time.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

eusap wrote: »
    The are back to €39 this morning in the airport

Is that Dublin airport (thought they hadn’t been released here yet?)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Its not so much the radio think bk, that's a mild irritant no more, it's the lack of functionality with g suite is the problem. My calander doesn't work, email integration doesn't work because for some IDD reason google treat g suite customer differently even though it's the same platform. And no matter what you do, you can't get an answer from them if they ever plan to support it. Even a "no we are never going to support it" at this stage would be a welcome releif cos then I could start planning to migrate away from g suite.

BTW, bit of advice, think very carefully before signing up to g suite, its a lobster pot, once you get in, its impossible to get out.

Oh yeah, G Suite seems to be totally the red headed child stepchild of Google.

I can't remember what it was, but I remember years ago looking into getting it and realising it had loads of issues integrating with other google services and just seemed to be trouble. Sounds like it hasn't changed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭eusap

Is that Dublin airport (thought they hadn’t been released here yet?)

Yes they have been there for a number of weeks, I guess its because its Dixons Travel shops (UK Based)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,006 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

It's been a long while since I checked into this forum (11 month old keeping me busy) and specifically this thread so my apologies if my below question has been asked and answered by other people.

A few months back the assistants voice on my mini's and home changed and I've noticed some loss in functionality. Specifically when I asked it to play a lullaby the assistant would sing any number of traditional lullaby's. This was great when the little lady was getting her last feed in the evening.

Anyone experience the same? Is there any way to get it back?

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭DoubleJoe7

How has the voice changed? Has it gone from male to female or vice versa? Has it changed from an English accent to a US one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭jones

DoubleJoe7 wrote: »
    How has the voice changed? Has it gone from male to female or vice versa? Has it changed from an English accent to a US one?

I noticed a few months ago the voice just randomly changed on mine for no reason went to US and then back to UK again. I've since changed my whole language to US for more features and to me it seems more stable (possible placebo effect)

• Advertisement

DoubleJoe7 wrote: »

It's a different sounding ladies voice than before and with that, less functionality.
    jones wrote: »
    I noticed a few months ago the voice just randomly changed on mine for no reason went to US and then back to UK again. I've since changed my whole language to US for more features and to me it seems more stable (possible placebo effect)

I'll try changing the region to US tonight and see if that makes any difference.

jones wrote: »

Puberty ? :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

It's a different sounding ladies voice than before and with that, less functionality

Have you noticed any of the below symptoms?

Hot flushes.
    Night sweats.
    Weight gain.

It could be the change!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 681 ✭✭✭legrand

possibly answered elsewhere (link?) but no 'shortcut' option in GH settings.  Did I read somewhere that need to change language to US English on your phone (as part of GH setup)?

legrand wrote:
    possibly answered elsewhere (link?) but no 'shortcut' option in GH settings. Did I read somewhere that need to change language to US English on your phone (as part of GH setup)?

Yep that's it

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭DoubleJoe7

BBC is gone from TuneIn, but works separately. Just ask for the channel, don't say tunein, and it plays. RTE Radio 1 is back on TuneIn. Still no Today FM

Changed the language last night to English US and she's back singing lullabies... delighted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,087 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

What are the best games for this?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Anyone had any issues recently with a Home Mini randomly activating and playing music? Have no idea whether it's Spotify or the radio but has happened me twice in the last few weeks in the middle of the night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Anyone had any issues recently with a Home Mini randomly activating and playing music? Have no idea whether it's Spotify or the radio but has happened me twice in the last few weeks in the middle of the night.

No such experience for me.

• Advertisement

Me neither!! That would be a big problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 681 ✭✭✭legrand

got kids who sneaked their phones to bed and acting the maggot?!!  Or ghosts, or maybe you/partner talk in your sleep :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

legrand wrote: »
    got kids who sneaked their phones to bed and acting the maggot?!!  Or ghosts, or maybe you/partner talk in your sleep :)

Nope. Have looked up My Activity and it just says rusty at 3.16am, used Google Assistant, "something went wrong, please try again later"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Veloce

Quick question on the Hue Motion Sensor. I understand there is a temperature sensor built into it. Are there apps that lets me access the temperature information?

Thanks

Veloce wrote: »
    Quick question on the Hue Motion Sensor. I understand there is a temperature sensor built into it. Are there apps that lets me access the temperature information?

Thanks

Its very odd the only place you can see the temperature on them (that i know) is online, the app doesn't seem to show you the information directly

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Anyone know how to get Alexa to play music through my bluetooth toothbrush?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭dam099

Thanks

Iconnecthue will show it when you view under devices or you can add it to its Widget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Thanks

Yeah hue essentials(android) shows the details of the sensors including temp under smart controls.

You can also see them on the homepage of http://labs.meethue.com/ once setup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I have a Roberts Internet Radio. Can I ask Alexia to play <insert radio name> through Roberts Radio. Or will it only play through the Echo its self or the TC via the Cromecast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Setanter

Why would you ask that in a GH thread?

Try https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057668556

Advertisement