Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Home FAQ

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭RunDMC

Google Home and Home Mini now available in Ireland.

http://store.google.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭jones

RunDMC wrote:

Finally...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

RunDMC wrote: »

http://store.google.com

Whoo hoo :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭jogdish

So is it officially supported here?

i.e free calling, etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

At last.
    Will it mean it will recognise our culchie accents now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭randombar

At last.
    Will it mean it will recognise our culchie accents now?

There was reasons I was waiting for it to be launched but I can't remember what they were now . . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

jogdish wrote: »
    So is it officially supported here?

i.e free calling, etc

Doesn't look like it at the moment, the option to set it up in the home app isn't there.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Why is the google home so much more expensive than the echo?

The google home mini and dot have more equivalent pricing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭jogdish

Pugzilla wrote: »
    Why is the google home so much more expensive than the echo?

The google home mini and dot have more equivalent pricing.

Going on my own mini and what I hear about the 'dot' the build quality/speaker quality is alot better with google. Less sure about the Home Vs Echo.

They must be launching a Home with a screen soon to compete you would imagine.

• Advertisement

GaryCocs wrote: »
    There was reasons I was waiting for it to be launched but I can't remember what they were now . . . .

It's funny, I'm the same.

Voice calling def would be cool

English (Ireland) available as an option now for assistant language

Going on my own mini and what I hear about the 'dot' the build quality/speaker quality is alot better with google. Less sure about the Home Vs Echo.

Yeah, judging by reviews, the mini has better sound quality and bass than the dot. The home and echo sound appear to be more evenly matched though. The echo is also newer hardware.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭thecivvie

English (Ireland) available as an option now for assistant language

"Sorry Stringify is not available for the language selected" or similar I get when I try to use my Stringify flows with English (Ireland) language

Join Ireland Weather Network

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Yeah, judging by reviews, the mini has better sound quality and bass than the dot. The home and echo sound appear to be more evenly matched though. The echo is also newer hardware.

The Mini definitely has better sound quality compared to the Echo Dot, but really it's a comparison between ****e and dog ****e. You're not going to sit and listen to either of them at length for a full musical experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,086 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

The Mini definitely has better sound quality compared to the Echo Dot, but really it's a comparison between ****e and dog ****e. You're not going to sit and listen to either of them at length for a full musical experience.

I've the mini in the bedroom for music and find it grand, then again I'm not too worried about a musical experience ;)

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Mini is fine for background music. I use open back headphones for any focused listening.

Echo dot has an aux cable connection though, which is better than being forced to use the mini's bluetooth or buy a chromecast if you want to connect to a better speaker.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Echo dot has an aux cable connection though, which is better than being forced to use the mini's bluetooth or buy a chromecast if you want to connect to a better speaker.

Chromecast is much better then using the Dot's 3.5mm jack IME.

The problem with the 3.5mm is that everything has to be routed through your speakers. Powered speakers often go to sleep when nothing is playing and can take a second or two to start up. That is ok for music, but if you ask the Dot a question, you can miss the answer.

The mini + Chromecast approach is much better thought out. It only plays music over chromecast, when you ask it questions, the mini answers, so you avoid this problem.

I also find Chromecast handier as you can cast staright from your phone, which is handy if you are browsing playlists on your phone.

Finally using the chromecast allows you more flexibility positioning the Mini, so you can have it on the other side of the room from the speakers, which helps with the mini picking up your voice.

This is based on my experience of owning both a Dot and a Mini + Chromecast.

Of course it would have been nice if they added a 3.5mm out to the Mini, saving you needing to spend the extra on Chromecast. But then if you are hooking up to fancy, €300 speakers, then the cost of a Chromecast shouldn't be a big deal for the better experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

thecivvie wrote: »
    "Sorry Stringify is not available for the language selected" or similar I get when I try to use my Stringify flows with English (Ireland) language

Same here. I'll be changing back to UK English as I don't see the advantage of keeping it on English (Ireland) - they haven't even added any Irish news providers or maybe I'm missing something?

• Advertisement

I'm brand agnostic, not a google fanboy. Amazon has its own advantages. Having a 3.5mm port is one of them. I could buy another dot for the cost of that chromecast. I also wouldn't consider €300 speakers to be fancy. Audiophile speakers cost in the thousands, which is why I prefer headphones. You can audiophile level headphones for far less.

Chromecast is also buggy and can software issues. I prefer a physical connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭ROVER

digitaldr wrote: »
    Same here. I'll be changing back to UK English as I don't see the advantage of keeping it on English (Ireland) - they haven't even added any Irish news providers or maybe I'm missing something?

I was able to add RTE and Newstalk as news feeds. Now I can say "Listen to the news" and google will play RTE and Newstalk news headlines.

Do media alarms work with Irish English?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,086 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Yeah I'm getting all the Irish news now.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Tyson Fury wrote:
    Yeah I'm getting all the Irish news now.

Brilliant just switched my news to Irish news but kept the main language as US for features

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭nialldinho

jones wrote: »
    Brilliant just switched my news to Irish news but kept the main language as US for features

Hi

How do I do this on iOS? When I go into news sources English (Ireland) isn’t an option

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭eusap

ROVER wrote: »
    I was able to add RTE and Newstalk as news feeds. Now I can say "Listen to the news" and google will play RTE and Newstalk news headlines.

I am only able to add Newstalk on IOS no option for RTE

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I'm brand agnostic, not a google fanboy. Amazon has its own advantages. Having a 3.5mm port is one of them. I could buy another dot for the cost of that chromecast. I also wouldn't consider €300 speakers to be fancy. Audiophile speakers cost in the thousands, which is why I prefer headphones. You can audiophile level headphones for far less.

Me too. I started out with an Echo and Echo Dot. They are now unplugged and I use a Google Home, GH Mini x 2 and a couple of Chromecast Audios instead. I find GH to be superior having used both.

Your right, I low balled a bit on the speakers. In my bedroom I've a lovely pair of Audioengine 5's, cost €500. In the living room the CCA is hooked up to Denon AV and nice 5.1 speakers.

Of course there is much more expensive speakers, though I live in an apartment and have a young child, so not much point in having complete base monsters. I agree about headphones, my Senn's make for quality music listening.

The point is though, given how expensive speakers like these are, spending €15 on CCA (They are usually 25, but often reduced to 15) for the extra versatility it adds shouldn't be a defining factor for most IMO

• Advertisement

nialldinho wrote: »
    Hi

How do I do this on iOS? When I go into news sources English (Ireland) isn’t an option

Thanks

That's odd. I went into the settings go to services then "News" and select the country as Ireland and selected Newstalk and RTE.

Advertisement