Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Home FAQ

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Have signed up for the YouTube Premium trial and it comes with YouTube Music Premium included, which has native support on Home devices. I've selected YouTube as my default music service and it acknowledges "YouTube Music Premium subscription active."

However when I ask my Mini to play anything it's looking for devices to cast to, so presumably interpreting it as a request to play YouTube rather than YouTube Music. Anyone else come across this or, better, found a fix?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭nialldinho

jones wrote: »
    That's odd. I went into the settings go to services then "News" and select the country as Ireland and selected Newstalk and RTE.

Weird. I’m definitely not getting the option. And my app appears to be up to date. No update pending.

I’ll check later when on same network as the Home anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Higgins147.0

After changing the Assistant Language to 'English (Ireland)' I have now lost all of my predefined Routines. Is that the same for everyone?

At the launch they were telling people the Home was set up for certain Irish phrases like 'Hey Google, What's the craic?' and 'Mayo for Sam'.. That gets no response for me at all, even after many reboots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

After changing the Assistant Language to 'English (Ireland)' I have now lost all of my predefined Routines. Is that the same for everyone?

At the launch they were telling people the Home was set up for certain Irish phrases like 'Hey Google, What's the craic?' and 'Mayo for Sam'.. That gets no response for me at all, even after many reboots.

I changed mine to Ireland and my Mini started to talk to me in a Hindi accent, then an African accent and then went slightly mad. My wife insisted I change them both back to UK.

Looks like someone f*cked up the localisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

D3V!L wrote: »
    I changed mine to Ireland and my Mini started to talk to me in a Hindi accent, then an African accent and then went slightly mad. My wife insisted I change them both back to UK.

Looks like someone f*cked up the localisation.

mine just went from Japanese to British to Hindu to British again. What does the irish even sound like lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭yrrag1974

nialldinho wrote: »
    Weird. I’m definitely not getting the option. And my app appears to be up to date. No update pending.

I’ll check later when on same network as the Home anyway

Same here. No option to change news settings to Ireland. HOWEVER Newstalk is now an option in the English UK news settings !! Set it up and tried it and the news is from Tues at 10.15am. It’s now Friday at 8am 😫😫

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,086 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

yrrag1974 wrote: »
    Same here. No option to change news settings to Ireland. HOWEVER Newstalk is now an option in the English UK news settings !! Set it up and tried it and the news is from Tues at 10.15am. It’s now Friday at 8am 😫😫

When you click add new source there's an arrow at the top to pick your country, select Ireland there.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 789 ✭✭✭RonnieL

Anyone find any handy Ireland specific stuff yet?

I'm wondering if it might start responding properly to questions about local sports teams. I'm thinking the rugby provinces, GAA counties etc.

I did try the "Mayo for Sam" and "What's the craic?" interactions, which worked well :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Where do you get the option to set the output voice, I remember it being there but can't seem to find it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Where do you get the option to set the output voice, I remember it being there but can't seem to find it

in the google app go to settings>>
    Google assistant settings>>
    preferences>>
    Assistant voice

You can also switch on continued conversation there

• Advertisement

in the google app go to settings>>
    Google assistant settings>>
    preferences>>
    Assistant voice

You can also switch on continued conversation there

I no longer have the option for assistant voice, I have weather, getting around and continued conversation. You must lose this option when you select English Ireland

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I no longer have the option for assistant voice, I have weather, getting around and continued conversation. You must lose this option when you select English Ireland

I don't have an option for continued conversation! Booo...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭jogdish

bk wrote: »
    I don't have an option for continued conversation! Booo...
    I do, but it then also says it's only for English (US), I can't listen to that voice.

Back to English US for me, Logitech Harmony is not supported in English Ireland....

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

jogdish wrote: »
    I do, but it then also says it's only for English (US), I can't listen to that voice.

Note there are about a dozen different English (US) voices you can choose from. They are all US accents, but another one might suit you better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

The only thing about the voices is that it can be annoying if you have more than one person using the home. I have a different voice to my GF and sometimes when she asks something it is in the voice I chose and sometimes the voice she has. I assume it's something to do with generic vs user specific information

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

matrim wrote: »
    The only thing about the voices is that it can be annoying if you have more than one person using the home. I have a different voice to my GF and sometimes when she asks something it is in the voice I chose and sometimes the voice she has. I assume it's something to do with generic vs user specific information

Would you not set her up on it as a user ? My wife is added to ours and the GH can recognize her and call her by her name.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Note there are about a dozen different English (US) voices you can choose from. They are all US accents, but another one might suit you better.

How do you change the US accent voice? All i can find is English (US) in assistant language options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Would you not set her up on it as a user ? My wife is added to ours and the GH can recognize her and call her by her name.

She is set up. When she does "Good Morning" it is the voice she has picked and here information. But if she does something like "What's the weather" it is the voice I picked

Pugzilla wrote: »
    How do you change the US accent voice? All i can find is English (US) in assistant language options.

Google Assistant -> Settings -> Preferences -> Assistant Voice

• Advertisement

All I get is English (US) along English (UK), Inida, Australia etc. Can't seem to find any variations in the US version. This is for the mini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Google Assistant -> Settings -> Preferences -> Assistant Voice

I have this option on my iOS devices, but not my Android phone, and the other way around for continued conversation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭jones

Excellent i didn't realise the continued conversation was enabled yet i just turned it on now. Been waiting for this since i heard about it. Really annoyed me having to keep repeating ok/hey Google mid conversation took all of the immersion out of it. Think this is a game changer

Is the continuing conversation not working for anyone else? I turned it on in settings but it doesn't seem to be working on my minis

jones wrote: »
    Is the continuing conversation not working for anyone else? I turned it on in settings but it doesn't seem to be working on my minis

Same with me. Tried turning it on and off multiple times. Tried various different questions, but it hasn't worked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

No, not working for me either. When I check my activity it shows that it didn't understand what I said.

No, not working for me either. When I check my activity it shows that it didn't understand what I said.

Comes up on my activity as unknown voice command. Maybe they need to update the minis. Funny thing is I can see the mini reactivate after the first question so it is listening but just will not respond

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭jogdish

"okay google give me a football chant" -> turns her into the English Hindi voice, odd!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,006 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

How do you go about setting someone up as an additional user? Is it just under voice training or somewhere else?

• Advertisement

How do you go about setting someone up as an additional user? Is it just under voice training or somewhere else?

In Google home app -> device settings -> linked accounts

They need to download the home app on their phone and train their own voice

Advertisement