Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Home FAQ

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

After a good bit of googling, it now seems clear to me that playing different music on different Google homes in the same house at the same time isn't possible.

Bit annoyed at this, as I went out and bought 2 x extra minis and signed them up to spotify family accounts.

Seems a ludicrous idea to me.

Imagine if Netflix adopted the same approach? You have a Netflix family account, and mum and dad are watching fawlty towers downstairs in the sitting room, and it boots them out because the kids started to watch cartoons upstairs on one of the other Netflix accounts.

Ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,086 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

After a good bit of googling, it now seems clear to me that playing different music on different Google homes in the same house at the same time isn't possible.
    Ridiculous.

It is possible but you need separate accounts logged into each device. I've a similar setup and it works well.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    It is possible but you need separate accounts logged into each device. I've a similar setup and it works well.

Have that done mate, still the problem remains.

Multi user enabled, individual voices tied to individual spotify accounts.

I'm at my wit's end with it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Have that done mate, still the problem remains.

Multi user enabled, individual voices tied to individual spotify accounts.

I'm at my wit's end with it.

Sorry, I'm not sure why it isn't working for you, but it definitely works for me. Full size Google Home and 2 minis. We have two spotify accounts, one for me and one for the missus. I just mention this as it can often help with resolving issues just to know it works for others.

Here are a few things to try:
    - Go to each Google Home and ask: "Hey Google, who am I?", then have the other members of your family do the same again for each device.

Note the response, if working properly on each device is should reply with the correct name, if not then you know there is something wrong with mutliuser setup.

- If it reply's with the correct name, then make sure each Google account is correctly tied to each spotify account. Basically each user needs their own smartphone, with Google Home app installed and spotify installed, logged into their respective Google and spotify accounts and then linked as such.

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I tried it the multi room audio this morning and it didn't work for me. Previously it has worked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

bk wrote: »
    Sorry, I'm not sure why it isn't working for you, but it definitely works for me. Full size Google Home and 2 minis. We have two spotify accounts, one for me and one for the missus. I just mention this as it can often help with resolving issues just to know it works for others.

- Go to each Google Home and ask: "Hey Google, who am I?", then have the other members of your family do the same again for each device.

Note the response, if working properly on each device is should reply with the correct name, if not then you know there is something wrong with mutliuser setup.

- If it reply's with the correct name, then make sure each Google account is correctly tied to each spotify account. Basically each user needs their own smartphone, with Google Home app installed and spotify installed, logged into their respective Google and spotify accounts and then linked as such.

Hope that helps.

Right so now I'm confused.
    Like Johnny I haven't got this working but maybe I can't with what I'm trying to do.

I got a google home in the kitchen and a mini in the front room.
    I have a family spotify account, with me, my wife, and my daughter having our own accounts.
    The kitchen home gets used by everyone and where nearly all the music is coming from.
    If I set up home to each voice can it be set up to use our own spotify accounts?
    Or what do I need to do? FYI I have the home app on my phone. I can put it on the wifes phone if I need and can set up a tablet with it on it for my daughter if needed?

I'm sick to death of it constantly showing all about the bass, bruno mars and all that other crap clogging my recently played and messing up my personalised mixes :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

lafors wrote: »
    If I set up home to each voice can it be set up to use our own spotify accounts?
    Or what do I need to do? FYI I have the home app on my phone. I can put it on the wifes phone if I need and can set up a tablet with it on it for my daughter if needed?

I'm sick to death of it constantly showing all about the bass, bruno mars and all that other crap clogging my recently played and messing up my personalised mixes :rolleyes::rolleyes:

LOL, yes. You can definitely do it with what you have, I do. For instance when I say, "Hey Google, play music" it plays my personal daily mix play list from spotify, but when my better half says the same, it plays her daily mix playlist from Spotify which is different from mine :D

You need to install Google Home and Google Assistant app on each of those phones/tablets and create their own Google account for each and then enable mtutli-user support on each and have Google learn their voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭jogdish

Okay, bear with me I know this is a big ask, but does anyone have / or can provide a google home based solution:

Currently when I wish to play a video file from my NAS (network attached storage) I do the following.
    1) Power on the PS4 ( it runs PLEX which I use for my media on NAS )
    2) Change TV HMDI input to HMDI 2
    3) [ I hate the TV speakers for drama, but for some reason prefer them for watching the News similar ] Bring TV volume to '0'
    4) Turn on Soundbar.
    5) Navigate PS4 to plex and select my media (happy to do this step by hand)

Ideally looking to replace steps 1-4 using IFTT with Google Home, TV, soundbar but use IR remote, PS4 is vi the controller. Looking for a sub 100 euro solution that is simple and not a mess of new wires.

jogdish wrote: »
    Okay, bear with me I know this is a big ask, but does anyone have / or can provide a google home based solution:

Currently when I wish to play a video file from my NAS (network attached storage) I do the following.
    1) Power on the PS4 ( it runs PLEX which I use for my media on NAS )
    2) Change TV HMDI input to HMDI 2
    3) [ I hate the TV speakers for drama, but for some reason prefer them for watching the News similar ] Bring TV volume to '0'
    4) Turn on Soundbar.
    5) Navigate PS4 to plex and select my media (happy to do this step by hand)

Ideally looking to replace steps 1-4 using IFTT with Google Home, TV, soundbar but use IR remote, PS4 is vi the controller. Looking for a sub 100 euro solution that is simple and not a mess of new wires.

Normally I'd recommend a Harmony Remote to do this sort of thing, but unfortunately the PS4 can't be turned on by Harmony or anything but a PS4 controller or app. Once on, Harmony can do and control all the rest and yes you can control it with voice, I do this myself.

Any chance you could get a Nvidia Shield TV? I use that now for Plex rather then the PS4 and it works well with Harmony.

Normally I'd recommend a Harmony Remote to do this sort of thing, but unfortunately the PS4 can't be turned on by Harmony or anything but a PS4 controller or app. Once on, Harmony can do and control all the rest and yes you can control it with voice, I do this myself.

Any chance you could get a Nvidia Shield TV? I use that now for Plex rather then the PS4 and it works well with Harmony.

Sounds good, when I go looking for Harmony I get confused, do i need the remote+hub or just the hub? Can you link a cheap harmony that would suit?

• Advertisement

Sounds good, when I go looking for Harmony I get confused, do i need the remote+hub or just the hub? Can you link a cheap harmony that would suit?

You aren't going to like my answer :eek:

So, you can just get the Hub, it will work with an app on your phone and with voice, however I strongly recommend getting a remote + hub.

My usage is about: 80% remote, 15% voice, 5% app (mostly config).

Voice is fine for turning everything on/off, but you really want a remote for actually navigating around, select shows, playing them, etc. Voice sort of sucks at that part IME.

In terms of remotes, there are three different remotes + hub combos and my recommendation is the most expensive one, the Harmony Elite.

I've both the Harmony Ultimate and the Harmony Elite and while the Ultimate works fine, the Elite is just fantastic, best quality remote I've ever bought.

Sorry I know it is quiet expensive and not the answer you were looking for, but if you can stretch to it, it is great IMO.

BTW The Amazon PRime sale is coming up next Monday. Amazon always have good deals on Harmony remotes and Nivdia Shield TV's during these sales IME.

You aren't going to like my answer :eek:

Sorry to keep asking, for the one use case above I have would you think a hub alone is worth it? or am I going to alot of hassle to be able to say

"okay google, TV time" and have steps 1-4 just done?

Sorry to keep asking, for the one use case above I have would you think a hub alone is worth it? or am I going to alot of hassle to be able to say

"okay google, TV time" and have steps 1-4 just done?

Yes, I think it would be too much trouble just for that. But that is up to yourself to decide. It is cool, I integrate the above into my good night routine (turns off lights etc. as well as the TV). But that is just the cherry on top, IMO the real value is in the good quality remote and it's ability to control everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Setanter

Tunein now working here, Dublin, anyone else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Same here RTE Radio One not working morning. This has been happining on and off for the last couple of weeks and always worked after a reboot but not this morning :(

works for me, yesterday morning needed to ask three times.

Is the reason ' tunein ' ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

working fine for me

Just renewed my electric/gas contract, and paid out for a nest.....

Can I now control lights etc via this, or am I better going with a hive?

Installation isn't for a fortnight so can cancel if I wish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

The Nest is a smart thermostat.

Check out Phillips Hue for smart lights

RTE radio issues again.

repeated asking 'seems' to get it to play. annoying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭THE ALM

If you wanted to keep it under one ecosystem Hive have bulbs, sensors and cameras that can all be added and controlled by the one app, hoping they eventually add trv's to it also.

Hope that helps.

Mine is sorted.

You need to have spotify on each device signed in under the relative spotify account that's tied to the gmail account that is linked to the device.

Hope that is making sense.

Avid follower of Newstalk on the GH, so this problem has me fit to climb a tower.

Streams RTE1 reluctantly but not NT on my home wifi, however turn off the wifi and use 4G, NT starts immediately on Tunein.

Stranger NT plays over wifi on tunein app, in the gym.

Any of the collective have insights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭niallb

Do you use a vpn for any reason?

From time to time but switched off for the last few weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭niallb

Was the VPN set up on your home router? If TuneIn knows it's in Ireland on 3G/4G and on other WiFi networks, why not at home?

Try going to https://whatismyip.com when connected by WiFi and see where it thinks you are.

niallb wrote: »
    Was the VPN set up on your home router? If TuneIn knows it's in Ireland on 3G/4G and on other WiFi networks, why not at home?

Try going to https://whatismyip.com when connected by WiFi and see where it thinks you are.

Thanks for that.

IP is reported a Meath, which should be fine :)

Stumpted

Woke up this morning, my Google Home ( regular, not the mini ) refused to do anything.

I asked questions, no lights no reply. I moved my finger around the top to change volume, no lights. I looked at the back, the white light was on, I tapped the button to mute, no audio queue, the light flashed amber and back to white again.

Anyway, unplugged re plugged, works fine now. Yesterday it would not play RTE radio 1, while the mini's would. Any ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭droidman123

Does anyone have one of these that actually works? I was going to get either the google home or the alexa but reading the 2 threads here,all there seems to be is problem after problem

• Advertisement

Does anyone have one of these that actually works? I was going to get either the google home or the alexa but reading the 2 threads here,all there seems to be is problem after problem
    Generally people don't post unless there are issues, also people here I'm guessing are more likely to push the device in the hopes it will do something - basically playing with tech. It may be a biased sample.

Advertisement