Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Home FAQ

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

THE ALM wrote: »
    Have RTE selected on mine, appears when I have English(Ireland) chosen as a source.

Where do you set the source? Can't seem to find it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

keane2097 wrote: »
    Where do you set the source? Can't seem to find it...

If your on an android phone, I think you need to set your phones default language to english(ireland) and restart.

The Restart may not be necessary and then reopen the home app.

Then configure your settings in the google home app and after that you can set you phone language back to whatever you want.

I think I need to go into 'devices' and change the language in there which I can't do till I'm back on the same wifi network this evening. I'll come back then if I still have trouble, thanks for the help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭THE ALM

I have default language set to English(US) and to get RTE , on android, I open the home app, settings, more settings, news, add sources and then select English(Ireland) as language which will bring up RTE.

I have default language set to English(US) and to get RTE , on android, I open the home app, settings, more settings, news, add sources and then select English(Ireland) as language which will bring up RTE.

English(Ireland) doesn't appear as an option for me for some reason. US, UK, Australia, Canada, India, Singapore available as types of English along with German, French, Japanese & Italian.

• Advertisement

May need to follow these steps when I'm back on the wifi:

Tap More settings.
    Under 'Devices', tap the Google Home device and then Device address.
    Type in the address and then OK. You can edit or delete this address at any time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭tipperaryboy

I want to use deezer have changed address to London, how do link my deezer account ? Deezer is not appearing as an option in the app anywhere is there an additional step that I've missed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭JMNolan

Deezer not supported as far as I know, casting only

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭tipperaryboy

JMNolan wrote: »
    Deezer not supported as far as I know, casting only

It's supported if you change region to uk but not working for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

I have 4 lights in kitchen, 2 in dining room. It used to be the case that when unsaid l"lights on" all 6 would go on. No it only turns on the ones in the kitchen, confirms "turning on 4 ligjts". I can specify "turn on d9n9ng room lights" and it works. Any thoughts on why that has changed?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I have 4 lights in kitchen, 2 in dining room. It used to be the case that when unsaid l"lights on" all 6 would go on. No it only turns on the ones in the kitchen, confirms "turning on 4 ligjts". I can specify "turn on d9n9ng room lights" and it works. Any thoughts on why that has changed?

They updated it so it turns on lights in the room its in.

You can also stay turn on all the lights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

liamog wrote: »
    They updated it so it turns on lights in the room its in.

You can also stay turn on all the lights.

Classic. Thanks. Pretty clever, I have a mini in bedroom and it will turn all on/off like the old command, as there is no light in that room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Classic. Thanks. Pretty clever, I have a mini in bedroom and it will turn all on/off like the old command, as there is no light in that room.

Not the smoothest implementation, I cat tell it to turn off a specific light anymore without having to rename lights.

For example, in have 3 lights in the family.room, one called "family room light" the other two are lamps

When I asks google to turn in the family room light, she says she doesn't know which light to turn off of the three of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭taytobreath

is there a way that u can ask google home to power off your computer or by making it go asleep etc. And turning it on too?

A bit of random feedback for people trying to decide between Google/Amazon:

I find my Google Home minis to be much, much worse than Echo dot for picking up on when I am trying to ask them something. If I say 'Alexa' the echo dot invariably notices, if I say 'hey, Google' it's much more common for it to not notice.

The mini is practically unusable when it is already playing something as you have to nearly roar at it. The echo dot notices that you are trying to talk to it pretty much perfectly even when it is playing music etc in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭jogdish

I find my Google Home minis to be much, much worse than Echo dot for picking up on when I am trying to ask them something. If I say 'Alexa' the echo dot invariably notices, if I say 'hey, Google' it's much more common for it to not notice.

The mini is practically unusable when it is already playing something as you have to nearly roar at it. The echo dot notices that you are trying to talk to it pretty much perfectly even when it is playing music etc in my experience.
    Never used an amazon echo anything, but must say my mini is fine even when the TV is on.

jogdish wrote: »
    Never used an amazon echo anything, but must say my mini is fine even when the TV is on.

Well yeah it's much worse when it is playing sound itself than when some other device is playing sound.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I've both, GH Mini and Echo Dot. I've found no difference in picking up what I'm saying. Both work equally well in that regard IME.

One tip, try taking a hoover to the mini, dust can block the mic ports, same with Echo's I've found, makes a difference.

Other then that, Google Home is far superior IME. Sound quality of the mini is far superior then the dot and obviously the AI abilities and it's voice recognition and various services behind them is much better. I rarely use my Echos any more.

I asked my home to set a reminder, time came and all I got was a notification on my phone - didn't it used to also announce I have a reminder for so and so ?
    Or should I have asked for something else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭sioda

Ask the mini for a timer for x amount of time you can even label it and run a second one great for cooking I find

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,831 ✭✭✭AngelaRI

Anyone else having issues today with Google Assistant on their GH or GHMini?
    Every morning I ask my Mini "What's my commute" and she responds with "On your way to work traffic is blah, it will take blah minutes. I've sent the details to your phone."

Today, no matter what I tried, how many different ways I asked, even rebooted the Mini, she still stubbornly stuck with "I'm sorry, I don't know how to help with that yet" or "I don't understand". I can say "How long to *general area*" and she'll respond, but not 'work' (which is a saved location), nor a specific address, nor a street - doesn't understand.

Other functions seem fine - music, stringify, lights (Philips Hue)... Yesterday the commute request was fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,831 ✭✭✭AngelaRI

Haha, and tonight my Google assistant (phone and gh) is speaking with a US accent. Checked the settings: UK. Changed US, back to UK, still US accent. But "what's my commute" is working again, British voice for this feature only tonight, the difference between the voices and accents is even more noticeable side by side like this, hopefully resolved soon!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

All my google homes switched to American accents yesterday too

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Bored Accountant

This morning when I said 'good morning' my GH informed that it has new routines available for playing news etc on my morning update.
    When I went into google assistant I seen you can add lights on off, heating temperature set, play music/radio when you say good morning, or goodnight. Is that all new functionality?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭THE ALM

This morning when I said 'good morning' my GH informed that it has new routines available for playing news etc on my morning update.
    When I went into google assistant I seen you can add lights on off, heating temperature set, play music/radio when you say good morning, or goodnight. Is that all new functionality?

A lot of changes there now, really is becoming very flexible

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Bored Accountant

A lot of changes there now, really is becoming very flexible

Yea, if they could add the ability to turn on specific scenes rather than just on/off, it would really improve it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

The routines really need timers. When I say good night I don't want everything to happen instantly. I'll continue using Stringify until then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,006 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

My 15 month old has now picked up on the GH. Whenever we are looking at a book with animals in it I used to ask the Home 'Hey Google, what does an 'x' sound like?' and she'd listen. Now when we're looking at the books and she sees for example a reindeer, she'll point in the general direction of where the Home is and loves when it plays the respective animals sound.

I absolutely love it for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭54and56

Google Home Max get's a big thumbs up from this Guardian Review today.

• Advertisement

Google Home Max get's a big thumbs up from this Guardian Review today.
    Would love one, 100% not a music person but I love quality radio that fills the room. Although I can imagaine spending the cash only for TuneIn to and rte to start screwing up again.

Advertisement