Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Home FAQ

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭jones

jogdish wrote: »
    Would love one, 100% not a music person but I love quality radio that fills the room. Although I can imagaine spending the cash only for TuneIn to and rte to start screwing up again.

Love to get one of these i already have 3 mini's and a Denon Heos 5 in my kitchen (the only place i could put this) so not really sure i could justify it.

Actually that leads me to a question does anyone use a home mini or regular to bluetooth to another speaker? I was using a mini to bluetooth across to my Denon but it was always kinda patchy even though they were only a couple of feet from each other so i just disabled it and use spotify connect to control the Heos. Anyone have anything similar?

Google Home Max get's a big thumbs up from this Guardian Review today.

Does that mean it's available to purchase in this part of the world?

:edit: Just read the article and it is! **** yeah! :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

My 15 month old has now picked up on the GH. Whenever we are looking at a book with animals in it I used to ask the Home 'Hey Google, what does an 'x' sound like?' and she'd listen. Now when we're looking at the books and she sees for example a reindeer, she'll point in the general direction of where the Home is and loves when it plays the respective animals sound.

I absolutely love it for that.

Same here, the joy and fun it has brought my daugther has made it 100% worth it.

Just wait until she says saying "Hey Google" herself. My little one managed to get it playing music a few days ago :D
    jones wrote: »
    Actually that leads me to a question does anyone use a home mini or regular to bluetooth to another speaker? I was using a mini to bluetooth across to my Denon but it was always kinda patchy even though they were only a couple of feet from each other so i just disabled it and use spotify connect to control the Heos. Anyone have anything similar?

Perhaps a Chromecast Audio hooked up to the Denon would be more reliable? That is what I do in the living room.

I actually must try this I have a Chromecast audio at home so must give it a bash. It's just annoying as the Denon was supposed to get Google support (which is why I bought it) but they yanked it one day for some reason

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,831 ✭✭✭AngelaRI

Google Home Max get's a big thumbs up from this Guardian Review today.

And today I got an email: GH Max now available in Google UK Store!
    https://store.google.com/gb/product/google_home_max
    £399 - anyone have one of these already from the States? How big is it compared to the GH and GHMini?? I was shocked when I first saw the GH in person (I've got a few mini's around the house) - it looks so much bigger in the ads, so wondering if the GH Max will be similarly larger-than-life in the images..?

On a related note: my Google Assistant is back to her UK voice since last night, no more grating US accent :D

• Advertisement

I'd like one but €450 is a wee bit too expensive for me. Ideally I'd listen to one beforehand to hear what I'm missing but it doesn't look like there's any Irish sellers yet. Maplins were handy for things like that. Check it out instore then go off and buy online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,086 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I'd like one but €450 is a wee bit too expensive for me. Ideally I'd listen to one beforehand to hear what I'm missing but it doesn't look like there's any Irish sellers yet. Maplins were handy for things like that. Check it out instore then go off and buy online.

Probably the reason they went the way they did 😂

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Probably the reason they went the way they did ��

In fairness, the Google stuff, Home, Chromecasts, etc. seemed to be the same price in store as online everywhere else and they had the same sales as everyone else. So you could totally buy instore from them, I bought my CCA's and a mini from there.

It was everything else that was the problem. Even at 80% off before closing, they were still more expensive then Amazon!

I wonder is there any chance it will be €399 in the Irish store as opposed to Sterling converted to approx €450

Doubt it as we always get screwed. I was hoping that maybe there might be a black Friday deal on it and use Parcel Motel.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

It's probably been discussed already but I haven't checked this thread in a while, are we going to see the Lenovo Smart Display on this side of the Atlantic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Nice one. The Mrs is heading to NY in November but that'll save her having to try stuff one in a suitcase.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭jogdish

Hey,
    I would like to be able to ask my GH on a sunday " is tomorrow a bin day " and get the correct answer.

Our bins are all on a monday every two weeks - unsure how to set that up in GH ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

Patww79 wrote: »
    Nice one. The Mrs is heading to NY in November but that'll save her having to try stuff one in a suitcase.

this might be exactly what I am looking for as I have purchased a few Wifi Plugs so was in the market for something to control them with

If I was to purchase this say for the kitchen would I then be able to buy one, or two of the smaller Google mini devices for other rooms?

ta in advance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭sioda

Bringing back a Google home full size from the states in a few weeks for love not money can I source a UK power lead any advise

sioda wrote: »
    Bringing back a Google home full size from the states in a few weeks for love not money can I source a UK power lead any advise

Not sure if it will work, think they work off different voltage.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭ForestFire

As with most ac powered equipment these days they can accept a wide rage of ac inputs, but it's always worth checking to be sure.

UK and US tech specs both say:

AC Power 100-240 V, 50/60 Hz

I've a Google Home from the US, works perfectly fine here, I use a simple US to UK plug adaptor, the type you could pick up in Dealz for €1.50

Think it would be alright but personally I would try to get a Google AC UK adapter now that's it's officially been launched here.

• Advertisement

Think it would be alright but personally I would try to get a Google AC UK adapter now that's it's officially been launched here.

It seems to be impossible to get unless you buy a whole Google Wifi. They don't sell it on it's own

There isn't any safety issues doing this, nor is it the first time, I've lots of gear that has US or EU plugs plugged into adaptors. Only downside is the plug sticks out a bit more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭54and56

Our bins are all on a monday every two weeks - unsure how to set that up in GH ?

Why not set up a recurring appointment/event in Google Calendar every Sunday evening or Monday morning called "Don't forget to put the bins out" and when GH reads you your daily agenda it'll remind you?

Ok Google, play RTE radio 1

> sure playing Tay radio 1 on tuneIN

odd, but works - why cant it just stream from RTE :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭opus

I noticed that as well yesterday, thought my Kerry accent had resurfaced & it couldn't understand me at first but it was actually playing RTE radio 1 :) Weird or what!

Hah I actually found Radio one UAE through trying that and it's a cracking station :pac:

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

HI,
    So my analoge TV signal is going ( yes we still have one! ), the kitchen TV is only ever used for RTE1 and the kitchen gets okay wifi.

Would a chrome cast type thing do the job? Have zero experience, can they stream RTE1? do they preform well for streaming rte? or is it buffering and stop start, forced ads like the web experience?

Would be nice since then I am assuming I could ask my GH to play rte 1 on the TV? is that how it works?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

HI,
    So my analoge TV signal is going ( yes we still have one! ), the kitchen TV is only ever used for RTE1 and the kitchen gets okay wifi.

Would a chrome cast type thing do the job? Have zero experience, can they stream RTE1? do they preform well for streaming rte? or is it buffering and stop start, forced ads like the web experience?

Would be nice since then I am assuming I could ask my GH to play rte 1 on the TV? is that how it works?

They are taking about RTE radio, not RTE TV. There is nowhere to stream RTE TV over Chromecast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

Hi all, I wonder is anyone else experiencing this? When I say good morning to my GH it plays my news headlines I have set up from. My chosen suppliers but newstalk headlines are from when the Pope was in Ireland talking about Leo etc. I have removed newstalk from my feed and readded but it is still the same. Any ideas?

gonker wrote:
    Hi all, I wonder is anyone else experiencing this? When I say good morning to my GH it plays my news headlines I have set up from. My chosen suppliers but newstalk headlines are from when the Pope was in Ireland talking about Leo etc. I have removed newstalk from my feed and readded but it is still the same. Any ideas?

I noticed this aswell lately the newstalk one was getting older and older. I just disabled it for now and use rte

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I still can't get irish news on mine :-/

Advertisement